Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Is Win 7 Home Premium fine for gaming?

darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By darkgoth678

Looking through the versions of WIndows 7 and the comparison charts and such. I out of impulse was going to push to get Win 7 Pro but then I wondered, why would home premium be fine for gaming? It brings DX11 which is all i really need.

Others said that Pro just adds some business feature and ultimate just add the language and bitlocker stuff. Im not a bussiness and i dont really have much problems with apps that are XP only so i dont see why I shouldn't just get Home Premium.

Opinions?
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Snail

DX11 is supposed to be pretty revolutionary.

Note: Supposed to be. You can't trust Microsoft. Wait for reviews to make your decision.

nvmfst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By nvmfst

I am pretty sure you are fine with either Home Basic or Premium for gaming (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions).

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Insectecutor

Yes. Any version of Windows 7 will play your games, and probably play them better than Vista (at least if my experience of Win7 RC1 is anything to go by)

agent_lost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By agent_lost

yep, for gaming home premium. Pro just give you more security and network option but for home use you don't need all that extra stuff.

Omega_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Omega_X
    @Insectecutor said:
    "...and probably play them better than Vista (at least if my experience of Win7 RC1 is anything to go by) "
    Its not. VistaSP2 runs games the same as Windows 7 on my rig.

Home Premium is fine for Gaming.

Its most likely going to become the preferred version for gamers. Professional adds unneeded things for the typical gamer and Ultimate is a waste of money.
    Eisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Eisen

Home premium is fine.  I may go with Professional for use of the Windows XP / Vista mode integration features, but I could just use Sun Virtual box or VM ware instead.  Mostly because I do a lot of troubleshooting for my job with testing applications in different environments and I've enjoyed MS Virtual PC so far.  I'm bit a undecided, but for most people that just want to play games Home Premium is all you need.  Do not bother with Ultimate unless you just like burning money on an operating system instead of games or hardware.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By subject2change

I went Pro solely for the Virtual XP and thats really it. Go Home Premium that's what most go with.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

I'm probably going to go with Pro since Home Premium has a memory cap of 16GB and, who knows, stuff might need more than 16GB a few years down the line. Virtual XP is a nice thing too.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By subject2change

Didn't realize about the cap however i'd only run 12 gigs max on an i7 (currently run 8 on a core2duo) and another gig or two for video card so i'd come close lol.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.