Jeff's Computer Copy... Will this work

#2 Posted by Winternet (8018 posts) -

It all depends on how much money you wanna drop on it.

The CPU and the video card seem a bit old.

#3 Posted by itsVASH (172 posts) -

I'm looking to spend somewhere around $1300 been looking at this specific build for a while since there's a video somewhere on the internet were they build this computer... figured I'de go with it

#4 Edited by Niall_Sg1 (362 posts) -

Check out

www.reddit.com/r/buildapc

They're always super helpful and have a tonne of information.

#5 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -

Consider moving up to the i7 sandy bridge. Give the 670 and your budget a second look too. Other than that OK

#6 Posted by BonOrbitz (2193 posts) -

The CPU and video card are just fine and very affordable. You can overclock both and it's not worth paying more for better cards at the moment.

#7 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@itsVASH said:

I'm looking to spend somewhere around $1300 been looking at this specific build for a while since there's a video somewhere on the internet were they build this computer... figured I'de go with it

Ooh, you're actually willing to spend up to $1300? That's a lot of dough, you can probably afford a better CPU and GPU then, like @Winternet suggested. I guess an i7 and a GTX 580 are the next step. 

Also I think that MOBO is a bit old too, I'm personally rocking the ASUS P8Z68-V one. 

I dunno why I'm never in the mood to get in-depth on PC parts anymore :/ My advice is to wait for more comments and see what the consensus is. Good luck, and welcome to the best platform that ever was ;]
#8 Posted by Winternet (8018 posts) -
#9 Posted by itsVASH (172 posts) -

Honestly I just want a PC at this point... last time i built one was like 8 years ago and currently I have no knowledge of hardware... just want to get back into pc gaming is all... but the photobucket guide essentially gave me the build I have right now with a few minor tweaks at the price point I have

#10 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

That is a good build, should run all games fine

#11 Posted by alternate (2702 posts) -

I could sell you Jeff's PC build for $300. Jeff is in LA right? Anyone know when his roommate goes to work?

#12 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -
@alternate

I could sell you Jeff's PC build for $300. Jeff is in LA right? Anyone know when his roommate goes to work?

This is literally the best. You'll get trackmania 2 for free. That's worth at least a grand. At least.
#13 Posted by JamesG (55 posts) -

swap the gtx 570 for a 670

#14 Posted by Winternet (8018 posts) -

There is also the new Ivy Bridge CPU so maybe check them out before building the PC.

#15 Edited by stenchlord (233 posts) -
  • Inte Core i5 3570K $239.99
  • ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard $129.99
  • Corsair Vengeance 8GB Kit $44.99
  • Nvidia 2GB GTX-670 (any brand will do) $409.99
  • SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD $124.99
  • Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200RPM HDD $119.99
  • Fractal Design Define R3 $109.99
  • Silverstone Strider Plus ST75F-P 750W PSU $133.99

$1313.92 (parts and prices from Newegg)

Just a tiny bit over budget, much better build overall though.

EDIT: I forgot ODD lol, so add in another $18 for a standard DVDRW.

#16 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -
@Winternet my understanding of what's available so far is that ivy bridge isn't enough of an improvement on sandy bridge unless you want non discrete graphics. That's why my advice would be get the i7 sandy bridge and a gtx670
#17 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -
@Winternet correction. The ivy bridge equivalent to the i7 I'd reccomend costs the same. Get ivy bridge then.
#18 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -

@mfpantst said:

@Winternet correction. The ivy bridge equivalent to the i7 I'd reccomend costs the same. Get ivy bridge then.

Ivybridge runs hotter though, but uses less power. This is what people need to consider when buying.

Also, OP I wouldn't bother getting an i7 unless you're gonna be using multi-threaded applications, I.E. Not games. It's just a waste of en extra $100 or so.

#19 Posted by Lanechanger (475 posts) -

@itsVASH: I pretty much have that build, except my CPU is 2500 instead of 2500k but my GPU is a GTX 580 (3gig VRAM), and that's been working out pretty well and running all my open world games on the highest so far with no problems (skyrim, just cause 2, etc), in terms of FPS I don't have BF3 but it is running Serious Sam 3 on highest beautifully

#20 Posted by MonetaryDread (2030 posts) -

The 2500k is the best price vs performance cpu right now. Pair that with a GTX 670 and an SSD for a killer system that will be more powerful than next gen systems.

#21 Edited by spiceninja (3062 posts) -

I'd get a Core i7 2500k and an AMD Radeon HD 6950. I've never used Nvidia so I wouldn't know what to get if you wanted to go with them.

#22 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@mfpantst said:

Ivybridge runs hotter though, but uses less power. This is what people need to consider when buying.

Also, OP I wouldn't bother getting an i7 unless you're gonna be using multi-threaded applications, I.E. Not games. It's just a waste of en extra $100 or so.

What he said - go i5 and put the savings into a better graphics card.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.