EDIT 11/1/11: Total overhaul! November challenge issued! Let's hit another million points by the end of November!
EDIT 3/13/11: That was fast: 4M down! We're also inside the top 1200, and now have 50 members!
EDIT 3/8/11: We've past three million points, and are half way to four!
EDIT 2/21/11: On the 19th we hit two million points!
EDIT 2/17/11: We've just broken the top 2000! Thanks to all the new GB members who helped push us over the edge!
- have a kick ass PC, a bunch of older PCs, or an internet enabled abacus?
- like competitions involving points, leaderboards, and gloating?
- want to help prove that Whiskey Media's dominance extends into the world of science?
- want to help cure cancer or some other bad thing as a side effect of your rampant drive to gain more points?
Then we want you for the Tested Folding Team!
Our home base is over at this topic where you'll often find us lament one of our computers melting down, gloat about new hardware purchases (to replace the ones that melt down), or complain about the price of electricity. Riveting stuff, really.
I'm interested in the pursuit of points/curing cancer through sheer force of will/proving that I have a better computer then you! How can I join?
Simply head to Stanford's main folding site, download your client of choice, and while configuring enter 197673 as the team number along with your choice of user name. Simply run the client in the background (it's set to only use idle processor time, so you shouldn't notice any major slowdown) and you are good to go.
Bonus points if you run both a CPU and a GPU client at once! Everything is wrapped into one client now! Hooray for simplicity!
Help! I can't get the client to run/my computer has caught fire/my computer has gained sentience and is threatening the human race! What should I do?
First off, make sure you've followed the official installation and configuration guides. Check out the V7 client! All of the cool kids are doing it! If you still have one of the first two problems, head on over to the Tested forums and we can help sort you out/teach you how to safely fight an electrical fire/suggest new hardware to replace the burnt out machine you now own. For the third problem, I suggest you head over to Screened as they should have some instructional videos dealing with the robot apocalypse.
I've decided to join but there's too many clients to choose from. What do I pick to maximize my poi-err I mean cure diseases the hardest?
There's been some major overhauls, but it's all a lot simpler. Just head to the V7 client page above, and it should all autodetect for you. If it doesn't head over to the much more frequently monitored Tested thread and we'll sort you out!
Some other FAQs:
- Will this really harm my computer? No, it shouldn't. It'll run your computer at max, sure, but it won't cause it to meltdown unless you've had hardware problems in the past and decide to run it 24/7.
- Speaking of 24/7, do I have to run this all the time to keep up? Not at all. As of writing this, I'm first on the team and I only really fold while I'm sleeping/out to class. We've got members who have dedicated folding boxes, and those who only run a PS3 or a desktop when they feel like it. No matter how much or little you can do, you're welcome to join in!
- Do I get anything out of this besides points? What more do you want? And unlike every other achievement/trophy system, these points are a representation of how hard you're kicking cancer's ass. Can PSN or XBL say that? But really, it's for a good cause and costs you nothing to run.
- Will I see any crazy power bills if I fold a lot? If you just fold while you normally have your computer on, you won't notice a damn thing. Even with my crazy ass computer running it 8-10 extra hours a day, I've barely seen an increase, perhaps like $5 a month. The only time you'll see a jump is if you run multiple computers 24/7. But the points are worth every penny if you do, man!
If you have any other questions, either post them in this thread or over at Tested and we'll get you sorted.
Always be folding!