Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Join the Tested Folding team!

• 65 results
    Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Mirado

@Darkstar_KoP: @clstirens: I'mma totally overhaul this. A bunch of us are getting back together and this info is a bit outdated, but give me a day or two and we'll be punching cancer in its face once again!

Heating up your homes for the cure, man!

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Mirado

What has happened to us?

Take a step back, and look at yourself. Look at us. What has happened to us?

We used to be unstoppable!

We used to be absolutely unstoppable!
    We used to be absolutely unstoppable!

Now look at us!

Look at how far we've fallen! Look at that trend line!
    Look at how far we've fallen! Look at that trend line!

It is, frankly, embarrassing. I'm embarrassed, you should be too. We used to move a thousands places in a week! No one would overtake us for a month at a time! Now people pass us every day, and it takes days to move even one spot.

I am, also, ashamed. I gave up. Some downtime was out of my control, sure. Some may have been out of your control as well. But not all of it. Even when I put my system back together, I didn't start folding again. I had my excuses. I bet you did as well.

I'd like to say that you all should be ashamed, but that isn't true. There are are some of you who kept going. They are the only reason why our line never hit zero. But most of you, like myself, have slacked off.

No more.

The Million Point Challenge

It's time to get back to where we were. Where we should be. I want to hit a million points this November. I've got no prize, nothing to give you except my time. But every moment that I'm not playing BF3 solving world hunger, I'll be folding. I don't expect you to do the same. But, if you can run it, every WU counts. Another million points will crack the top 700 teams in the world. In the world! The next work unit you hand in could be the one to solve a disease. But this isn't about cancer (even though it kind of is), it's about pride!

We have the best community on the internet. It's time we proved it.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#53  Edited By Marz

will i be compensated for my electric bill, last time i folded my monthly bill was through the roof :(

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By Ravenlight

@Mirado said:

@Darkstar_KoP: @clstirens: I'mma totally overhaul this. A bunch of us are getting back together and this info is a bit outdated, but give me a day or two and we'll be punching cancer in its face once again!

Heating up your homes for the cure, man!

I never stopped punching cancer in the face. Let it not be forgotten that the remnants of the Tested.com Folding Team bravely held the line during the long, dark winter.

I'm stoked that there's more interest here again. Time to put team Folding4Jesus in its place.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Mirado

@Marz: What type of crazy nuclear power computer are you running? I fold like a madman on a beefy rig, and it barely jacks up at all. Still, that's a legitimate concern and if that's what's holding you back, I absolve you of your sins. :D (Just sneak in one or two work units? For me?)

@Ravenlight: You will be remembered among the million point heroes of old. When darkness reigned, you were like a sun in the....and I just noticed your avatar and now I can't go through with this. Thanks, though, we need more duders like you!

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Ravenlight

@Mirado said:

@Ravenlight: You will be remembered among the million point heroes of old. When darkness reigned, you were like a sun in the....and I just noticed your avatar and now I can't go through with this. Thanks, though, we need more duders like you!

Only half of a million ;) I'm pseudofengshui on Tested.

Why did out team die off, though? I blame Bitcoin.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Mirado

@Ravenlight: If Who's Line taught me anything, it's that the points don't matter. Just because you haven't hit a million doesn't mean you don't deserve the same level of credit; if anything, you and the brave few that kept things going deserve even more! :D

Why did it die off? Good question. I had hardware problems that kept me from running it (max GPU load would crash my system, and then I had to RMA one of the two), and afterward I just never got around to setting it back up. Part of it was waiting for the newer GPU client so I could get the points that the Nvidia guys were pumping out, but it was really laziness + heat (it gets surprisingly hot here, and my system wasn't helping keep my apartment cool).

Some moved, some had hardware failures, too hot, too expensive....it goes on. That's why I'd consider a million points a good challenge: from 50 members, barely 15 are still active.

And for the record, I tried Bitcoin mining. A lot of wasted effort; everyone who got in early got rich (theoretically), and the rest of us missed the boat.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Ravenlight

@Mirado said:

@Ravenlight: If Who's Line taught me anything, it's that the points don't matter. Just because you haven't hit a million doesn't mean you don't deserve the same level of credit; if anything, you and the brave few that kept things going deserve even more! :D

Why did it die off? Good question. I had hardware problems that kept me from running it (max GPU load would crash my system, and then I had to RMA one of the two), and afterward I just never got around to setting it back up. Part of it was waiting for the newer GPU client so I could get the points that the Nvidia guys were pumping out, but it was really laziness + heat (it gets surprisingly hot here, and my system wasn't helping keep my apartment cool).

Some moved, some had hardware failures, too hot, too expensive....it goes on. That's why I'd consider a million points a good challenge: from 50 members, barely 15 are still active.

And for the record, I tried Bitcoin mining. A lot of wasted effort; everyone who got in early got rich (theoretically), and the rest of us missed the boat.

I've got to disagree with you about points. Points are all that matters. Punching cancer in the face is just a happy side-effect ;)

I totally understand about the heat issue. I love in Arizona and I had to kill my GPU client for part of the summer because my air-conditioning couldn't keep up.

As for Bitcoin, one would probably need a botnet to make a profit at this point. And at that level, you'd make more dosh renting it out for DDoS-ing.

nickb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By nickb64
    @Ravenlight my contribution trickled off when my laptop was stolen and my shitty desktop died. I had a good run for a while between getting a new laptop with a beefy CPU and starting school
    clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By clstirens

I'm already at 58th place in the tested group, ya!

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Mirado

We're back up to 19 active users! Three new people have registered, for a total of 85! I did 41k points in six days, and am 172k off of my goal!

Activity: it happens to us! (Sometimes.)

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Ravenlight

@Mirado said:

We're back up to 19 active users! Three new people have registered, for a total of 85! I did 41k points in six days, and am 172k off of my goal!

Activity: it happens to us! (Sometimes.)

Fold ALL THE PROTEINS!

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By clstirens

Odd that this is still a sticky

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@clstirens said:

Odd that this is still a sticky

indeed

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#65  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

So I heard of a mention of this in the news a while ago, but I didn't know that this was how it was done and there are teams and points and anything about it! I live in a firestation and our student office has two damn good PCs that were built not too long ago with open admin access. We don't have anyone in our district that is a computer wiz so they won't even know or be bothered by it. I'll be running the program in the background of both the computers indefinitely as the only things people use those comps for is streaming music and writing papers! (so long as this works the way I think it does.) You just download it and let it run in the background and it doesn't slow down your comp at all or nothing?

Damn! No posts in over a year!? F-that! Let's get back on this! Sounds like you guys had some good runs! I think it's time for another kick in the ass! Let's do this guys! Let's get Giant Bomb back in the ranks!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.