Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

July is one of the best months for PC gaming in the last decade.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

Edited By metal_mills

So far we've had:

Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1 released.
    Secrets of Monkey Island remake release(and for only $10!).
    MechWarrior 5 announced.
    Command & Conquer 4 announced.
    Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall released for free.
    MechWarrior 4 and Black Knight expansion released for free.
    Street Fighter 4 released.
    Trine released(5 star review from Brad).
    This is also coming just off a week of ArmA 2, Anno 1404, new Fallout 3 DLC and Battlefield: Heroes.

Ok, so no Half-Life's or Starcraft's were released but look at that list. 2 free classic games, 3 amazing games released, 2 new PC favorite series getting new games announced(Last full MW game was released 9 years ago)  and an aftermath of amazing new games from the week coming into July. Also consider MW and MI series were both thought to be dead and buried years ago.

Also the beta(and final release very soon) of the new Dawn of War 2 patch which is almost like a mini-expansion pack.

Now I know quite a few of the things I listed will be on 360 too, but MW, MI and C&C are all PC first games, started off on PC only and have the most fans on PC so it's still big news.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By metal_mills

So far we've had:

Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1 released.
    Secrets of Monkey Island remake release(and for only $10!).
    MechWarrior 5 announced.
    Command & Conquer 4 announced.
    Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall released for free.
    MechWarrior 4 and Black Knight expansion released for free.
    Street Fighter 4 released.
    Trine released(5 star review from Brad).
    This is also coming just off a week of ArmA 2, Anno 1404, new Fallout 3 DLC and Battlefield: Heroes.

Ok, so no Half-Life's or Starcraft's were released but look at that list. 2 free classic games, 3 amazing games released, 2 new PC favorite series getting new games announced(Last full MW game was released 9 years ago)  and an aftermath of amazing new games from the week coming into July. Also consider MW and MI series were both thought to be dead and buried years ago.

Also the beta(and final release very soon) of the new Dawn of War 2 patch which is almost like a mini-expansion pack.

Now I know quite a few of the things I listed will be on 360 too, but MW, MI and C&C are all PC first games, started off on PC only and have the most fans on PC so it's still big news.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Seedofpower

The Gaming God is smiling down on our computers.

thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By thecleric

As a PC gamer, I don't necessarily think C & C 4 is a good thing...

lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By lemon360

and we can't forget to mention how awesome it is that matrix online is shutting down. that was garbage, and hour of garbage. at least its amusing hearing vinny and ryan try to wrap their minds around that trash.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Pazy

Sweet Mechwarrrior 4 for free, I was going to buy that since off Amazon next week. People still seem to be playing the Multiplayer and it looked like a lot of fun.

Go PC gaming :)

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By metal_mills
    @thecleric said:
    " As a PC gamer, I don't necessarily think C & C 4 is a good thing... "
    Why? It's the best of the C&C series and it's going to be a finale of a 15 year long story. I'm bloody excited,
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jimbo

That's crazy talk.  It might be the best month this year, but only if you pretend Anno 1404 and Arma 2 didn't come out in June.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By metal_mills
    @Jimbo said:
    " That's crazy talk.  It might be the best month this year, but only if you pretend Anno 1404 and Arma 2 didn't come out in June. "
    Like I said, coming off a week(the last week of June) of those games. And what other single month can you think of with so many big things happening? You don't even see this much PC news at E3.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Diamond

Last decade?  Not even close.  Half Life 2's release alone was bigger, although Street Fighter 4 makes any month pretty big anywhere.

For me this month is probably the biggest PC gaming month in 5 years, as any hour now my new PC should be delivered.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jimbo

Well, for me, June.  The release of 2 solid PC exclusives of Arma and Anno's calibre is a rare treat and far better than any number of ports, announcements and re-hashes of old games.

I'm sure there were better months in the last ten years, but I'll take October '07:  The Orange Box, The Witcher, Mask of the Betrayer.

Sorry, I don't mean to rag on your post, I just find it depressing that a month of announcements about franchises well past their prime, re-releases and free-releases is enough to get us excited nowadays.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By mikemcn

This, truly, is the age of PCs
    But i wouldnt say the decade, thats a stretch

Whens Dragon age origins coming out anyways?

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By metal_mills
    @Jimbo said:
    " Well, for me, June.  The release of 2 solid PC exclusives of Arma and Anno's calibre is a rare treat and far better than any number of ports, announcements and re-hashes of old games.I'm sure there were better months in the last ten years, but I'll take October '07:  The Orange Box, The Witcher, Mask of the Betrayer.Sorry, I don't mean to rag on your post, I just find it depressing that a month of announcements about franchises well past their prime, re-releases and free-releases is enough to get us excited nowadays. "
    Hmm, Oct 07 probably is better with those 3 release. However, I don't find it depressing that announcements and releases of new stuff from classic series can get people excited. Just because something is getting on doesn't mean it's still not a great series. Hell, GTA, Halo, CoD, are all old series but pumping a lot more games out at a much daster rate. We haven't seen a new MW or MI in years and years and their gameplay is just as good as it always was, so there hardly past their prime. C&C4 is a finale to a 15 year long story too. Also, free classic games are no good? It's great and better than paying 800 or 1200 points on XBLA for it.
    FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By FlipperDesert

I'm super-bored of RTS games, but I've always wanted to get into Mechwarrior, we used to have Mechwarrior 2 somewhere. Good news!

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By Snail

I think none of these titles are remarkable or legendary in any way. They might be good titles, but that is all.

Except Elder Scrolls II of course.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By zombie2011

PC gaming is truly dead.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#16  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

It's a great month, all right.  I'd also add in the fact that LucasArts has FINALLY seen the light and has reached a publishing deal with Steam.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TwoOneFive

whatever. 

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By metal_mills
    @Snail said:
    " I think none of these titles are remarkable or legendary in any way. They might be good titles, but that is all.Except Elder Scrolls II of course. "
    Well in my opinion MW, MI and C&C are three of the best series around. I'd pick them over a new Halo or CoD any day. I also loved MW4 and getting it, expansions and all for free is great. So it's one of the greatest months for me at least. I know HL2: Ep3 or Starcraft 2 will be a bigger, more important game but the sheer number of quality releases/announcments in this month is great. It's sure a hell of a lot more than PC got at E3.
    Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Absurd

I'm just happy that we got a new monkey Island game, that alone makes this month so awesome.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#20  Edited By sjschmidt93

Uh... only one of those games appeals to me, I don't know about you guys, but the only one I bought was Trine... everything else, meh.

ES2 for free is kinda cool though.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By Ineedaname

Those games hardly result in a good month for gaming, to me that's sort of a poor slow month.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Absurd
    @Ineedaname said:
    " Those games hardly result in a good month for gaming, to me that's sort of a poor slow month. "
    Monkey Island isn't good enough to you?

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By xplodedd

IDK I don't play BF:Heroes the beta got old pretty quick bro, not like team fortress 2.
    but none of the less its a good month.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By atejas

Aside from Anno, ArmA and Trine, I don't really consider any of those noteworthy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.