Just bought some hardcore 1990's games, which to play first?

#1 Posted by death919 (43 posts) -
Just bought the following on ebay:
Fallout
Fallout 2
Diablo
Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate 2 (and expansion)

Which should I play first!? :D
#2 Posted by VACkillers (1074 posts) -

Baldur's Gate without a doubt!  or planescape though i never played that, supposed to be a good one

#3 Posted by death919 (43 posts) -

Haha, I was thinking that, but I heard it's the longest also!  But also one of the best.  Hmmmm.....

#4 Posted by Systech (4078 posts) -

Play the one with the writing talents of Drew Karpyshyn, if you don't know what game I am talking about (you probably don't) it's Baldur's Gate 2.

#5 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

Play Baldur's Gate 2...and then follow it up with Fallout 1/2.

#6 Posted by VACkillers (1074 posts) -

i'd probably choose planescape after actually... as fallouts take you to a different time in reality, unless you planed on breaking up the gameplay styles a bit

#7 Posted by Evilross (216 posts) -
If you have never played Baldur's Gate starting a new game in Baldur's gate 2 can be a little rough.
You can import your character from BG into BG2, and you will not only have a better character start with (due to permenent stat enhancing tomes you will have read in the first game), you will also be familiar with your character and know how to play them.
BG 1 and 2 uses second edition AD&D rules, and if your not already fairly knowledgable of the ruleset, you can get overwhelmed rather easy. Even more so if you start a new game of BG2 from scratch having never played BG1. BG2 will automatically start a new character at level 7 to level 9 depending on the class, and in 2nd edition AD&D thats a pretty powerful character, with alot of stat quirks and abilitys to take in.
So I recommend buy and starting with BG1 and Tales of the Sword Coast.
#8 Posted by Lake (126 posts) -

Fallout and then Fallout 2 in preparation for Fallout 3.

#9 Posted by VaultBoy (194 posts) -

If you play BG, BG2, or Torment then find the unofficial patches to bump up the resolution (and to wide screen if you can take advantage of that).  The engine won't feel nearly as dated if you do this.

#10 Posted by SmokeyDaBear (110 posts) -

If you are looking for something that is very easy to get into I would play Diablo first.

#11 Posted by Jonathan (655 posts) -

All amazing. But you could have gotten the DIablo battle chest. It's cheap and it comes with the original DIablo, DIablo 2 plus expansions, and a strategy guide. I think they still sell them in stores like Best Buy.

#12 Posted by OGCartman (4354 posts) -

Awww sounds killer, id pick Diablo

#13 Posted by death919 (43 posts) -
Jonathan said:
"All amazing. But you could have gotten the DIablo battle chest. It's cheap and it comes with the original DIablo, DIablo 2 plus expansions, and a strategy guide. I think they still sell them in stores like Best Buy.
"

Haha, actually I'm a big D2 player from back in the day, so I already had both D2 and the expansion for quite a while, but I never owned the original, so that's why I got just that one off of ebay (it was about $9 so it was a good price).

And Evilross, because of your advice I just ordered the original Baldur's Gate + Tales of the Sword Coast as well. :)

Thanks for the advice so far everyone!
#14 Edited by c1337us (5751 posts) -

I would go with Planescape cause for me its the only one I haven't played already.

#15 Posted by Agentfred (58 posts) -

There's really no wrong order to play them in, so long as you end up playing all of them. 

#16 Posted by xruntime (1920 posts) -

I haven't played any of them. Where are your classic FPS and RTS games?

#18 Posted by emnii (198 posts) -

My vote is for Fallout. It held my attention better than the rest of those and the combat is absolutely brutal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.