Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Just Cause 2

gamingmichael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I bought JC2 for $2.99 during the Steam sale. Like it but just got to the sandbox portion (introduction of the factions). Is there really no stealth to this at all? It just feels like the moment I kill one enemy, other guys just come in waves. Far Cry 3 at least let you sneak your way out of trouble to find another vantage point. Am I missing something?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Where on Earth did you get the idea that this was a stealth game? It paints everything that can be blown up with a red symbol and keeps track of how much enemy stuff you destroy.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By ProfessorEss

No you're not missing anything. If there was name for a genre that described the total opposite of stealth Just Cause 2 would be that.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

This is not a sneaking mission.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Its pretty much the opposite. You try to come in as bombastically and ridiculously as possible. Blow everything up and fly away in your parachute with the world burning behind you.

gamingmichael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By gamingmichael

@believer258: I'm starting to realize that. Having the option to do either would have been nice though.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gamingmichael: The more you play the game you will see that stealth does not fit into it at all. It is like wishing for diplomatic victory in Starcraft.

If you are trying to get away after getting caught, just grapple onto a car/helicopter/whatever and get out. Or use the grapple hook parachute trick and fly everywhere like a bad ass.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You can plant a bunch of remotely detonated bombs and then set up where you want to be for the attack when you set them all off. That's sort of stealthy, I guess.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: I'm starting to realize that. Having the option to do either would have been nice though.

I don't think so. The developers focused on making what is essentially the video game equivalent of a cheesy '80's action movie, and they focused on making great firefights, explosions, collectibles, etc. That they had a focus allowed them to make a tight, very well-done set of mechanics that allow the player to pull off some really cool things. Far Cry 3 did, too, but you can't fly to the top of skybox, stand on the edge of the plane, admire the gorgeous open world, and parachute down into an enemy base, killing about half of the bad guys while dual-wielding submachine guns, then taking out a rocket launcher and destroying some of their important structures.

Again, stealth wasn't anywhere near the developer's ideas for this game. If you want stealth, this is not for you. I like big and loud, so naturally I loved this game.

schreiberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Who needs stealth when you have explosions?

@mcghee said:

You can plant a bunch of remotely detonated bombs and then set up where you want to be for the attack when you set them all off. That's sort of stealthy, I guess.

Stealth explosions are the best explosions.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gamingmichael said:

I don't think so. The developers focused on making what is essentially the video game equivalent of a cheesy '80's action movie, and they focused on making great firefights, explosions, collectibles, etc. That they had a focus allowed them to make a tight, very well-done set of mechanics that allow the player to pull off some really cool things. Far Cry 3 did, too, but you can't fly to the top of skybox, stand on the edge of the plane, admire the gorgeous open world, and parachute down into an enemy base, killing about half of the bad guys while dual-wielding submachine guns, then taking out a rocket launcher and destroying some of their important structures.

Again, stealth wasn't anywhere near the developer's ideas for this game. If you want stealth, this is not for you. I like big and loud, so naturally I loved this game.

Who needs parachutes when you can just grapple to the ground a split-second before impact?

If Rico falls from the sky completely annihilating a remote mountain base and no one is left to tell the story, does it make a sound?

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Embrace the chaos. And then enjoy it.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

nothing says stealth like an aircraft to the face

Dacnomaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game is a "Blow shit the fuck up simulator"....

abara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MAN I love the parachute/grappling hook combination in this game. It's like if Spiderman got bit by a radioactive Van Damme.

gamingmichael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By gamingmichael

@believer258: I like the game. My main criticism is much like my disappointment with Hitman Absolution. Once you're noticed, everyone knows even if they're not in the general vicinity. With FC3, you could cause chaos and essentially disappear, regroup, and repeat.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@believer258: I like the game. My main criticism is much like my disappointment with Hitman Absolution. Once you're noticed, everyone knows even if they're not in the general vicinity. With FC3, you could cause chaos and essentially disappear, regroup, and repeat.

It's not really fair to compare the two though, they don't even try to be similar. Like someone said, it's like wishing for a diplomatic resolution in Starcraft. It simply isn't built with stealth in mind, whereas that was a rather prominent aspect of Far Cry 3 even before it was released.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

My "No Kill" run attempts didn't last long, JC2 is a terrible stealth game. At least it's an amazing Open World game

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you need to get away from an area, use your parachute and grapple hook to quickly get away. Mastering that combination is key to having fun with this game.

Has it not been made perfectly clear to you in this thread that stealth was not the intention of this game at all? The designers did not want stealth. They wanted action. They want you to be loud, obnoxious, and explosive. That's what makes the game fun. They didn't include the option for stealth because that would go against their design intentions. If you want stealth, play a different game. You simply aren't going to get it here.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.