Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Just got a new PC need advice on games to play

Killaman996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Killaman996

For my birthday my parents got me one of the new Alianware X51 computers and i am needed advice on games to get to play. I would appreciate it because i have been away from pc gaming for so long i do not know where to begin.

CannonGoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By CannonGoose

What sort of games do you enjoy?

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By supamon

I'll tell you where to begin: get steam

Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
    whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Shogun 2 is an epic sophisticated pc title that will make good use of your hardware. It was easily the best game of 2011. It was discarded like trash because it was A) a strategy title and B) Not a console title

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Klei

Get steam along with all its indie PC exclusives, like Legend of Grimrock and Binding of Isaac. As for fully-fledged PC games, here goes. Witcher 2. Dragon Age 1. Crysis 1 / 2. Skyrim for its mods. BF3. The rest are multi-platform.

whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Klei said:

Get steam along with all its indie PC exclusives, like Legend of Grimrock and Binding of Isaac. As for fully-fledged PC games, here goes. Witcher 2. Dragon Age 1. Crysis 1 / 2. Skyrim for its mods. BF3. The rest are multi-platform.

Skyrim is a console port. Crysis 2 is a console port. Battlefield 3 was a console port (console development took over) and every one of those are multiplatform.

On topic: Along with Shogun 2 I would recomend Napoleon: Total War. Tribes: Ascend. Team Fortress 2. Arma 2: Arrow-head. Dawn Of War II: Retribution and Company Of Heroes.

As well as this, check out GOG for many older excellent (far superior than the shit today) titles.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#7  Edited By BeachThunder

Hard Reset (there's also an expansion coming soon)

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By monetarydread

what video card did you get with your x51? The stock option is integrated graphics (geforce 545) so if you plan on playing anything other than World of Warcraft you are going to have a bad time.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ravenlight

Any time anyone asks what to play, my go-to answer is Bastion. That any anything made by Valve, including Ricochet.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By matthias2437

Hard Reset and Bastion I think are both must. Also in terms of graphics just to bring the computer to it's knees I would recommend Metro 2033. That game maxed is beautiful but takes a pretty damn powerful PC to run. Also games like Dragon Age:Origin and most other RPGs like that are great on PC.

Avatar image for matthewthebeast
    MatthewTheBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MatthewTheBeast

Check out the Mount&Blade series, I believe the demo of Warband is available. Probably the only ones you need from the series is Warband and maybe the DLC, Napoleonic Wars if you're into that sort of stuff. Having massive multiplayer battles/events with up to 200 players is a good PC-exclusive experience in this current generation in my opinion.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mandude

I will have to agree with the people who recommended Shogun 2 and Mount and Blade. Fantastic games with lasting appeal.

NicksCorner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NicksCorner
    autumn_thunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By autumn_thunder

Since others are getting the obvious stuff out of the way, I'll just namedrop SpaceChem, my 2011 GotY runner up right behind Portal 2. There's a demo out on Steam I think, play it before you buy it, it serves a very niche audience.

There should be a Steam sale soon (maybe 2 months or so from now), I'd probably buy only a few games now and wait to see if the stuff you want goes on sale then.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Doctorchimp

Diablo 3 in 13 days.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Justin258

@whyareyoucrouchingspock said:

Battlefield 3 was a console port (console development took over)

Team Fortress 2.

Nope.

the PC version would be getting extra attention, in the sense that they would not limit themselves to the technical capabilities of consoles, and that the different versions were being developed separately.

Also, Team Fortress 2 made an appearance on consoles. Do you think that was a port as well?

On topic, I recommend giving at least one or two strategy games a whirl as it's one of the PC's biggest strengths and can be done playably on consoles but not well. Really, I recommend first looking for things that can't or aren't done on consoles, or aren't done as well on consoles besides graphics. To that end, Battlefield 3 because of its 64 player count instead of 24 and Dragon Age Origins because of all the options still available. I'm not a big PC gamer so I can't point out many other things, but I'm certain the rest of the GB community will find some great things for you to look in to.

whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258 said:

Team Fortress 2.

Nope.

the PC version would be getting extra attention, in the sense that they would not limit themselves to the technical capabilities of consoles, and that the different versions were being developed separately.

Also, Team Fortress 2 made an appearance on consoles. Do you think that was a port as well?

On topic, I recommend giving at least one or two strategy games a whirl as it's one of the PC's biggest strengths and can be done playably on consoles but not well. Really, I recommend first looking for things that can't or aren't done on consoles, or aren't done as well on consoles besides graphics. To that end, Battlefield 3 because of its 64 player count instead of 24 and Dragon Age Origins because of all the options still available. I'm not a big PC gamer so I can't point out many other things, but I'm certain the rest of the GB community will find some great things for you to look in to.

Adding features on doesn't stop a port being a port. If you read another article they say they started with the pc but moved onto the console later in development. Most of Battlefield 3 is designed with consoles in mind regardless of graphical fluff much like Arkham City.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whyareyoucrouchingspock: I don't necessarily agree or disagree with you but in your mind what makes something not a console port aside from it being pc only?

mm665

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mm665

The Witcher 2 and Battlefield 3 will be great games to test capabilities of your new PC.

whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CrazyBagMan said:

@whyareyoucrouchingspock: I don't necessarily agree or disagree with you but in your mind what makes something not a console port aside from it being pc only?

A game specifically built from the ground up with pc mind 100% is not a console port in my eyes. I wouldn't even call the Witcher 2 a pc game. It plays exactly like a console game compared to the witcher 1.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Klei

@whyareyoucrouchingspock : Aye, console ports they may be, but they're madly optimized for the PC AND way better than the console vanilla versions.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By fattony12000

If I got an Alienware I would take it back for a refund and get a personal computer.

Cymatics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Cymatics

@Klei said:

Skyrim is a console port. Crysis 2 is a console port. Battlefield 3 was a console port (console development took over) and every one of those are multiplatform.

On topic: Along with Shogun 2 I would recomend Napoleon: Total War. Tribes: Ascend. Team Fortress 2. Arma 2: Arrow-head. Dawn Of War II: Retribution and Company Of Heroes.

As well as this, check out GOG for many older excellent (far superior than the shit today) titles.

"The DICE boss shared the news in the latest issue of PSM3, where he revealed that despite Battlefield 3 looking very much like a shooter designed for advanced PC hardware, the latter stages of Battlefield 3's construction lead on PS3 and Xbox 360 in order to meet release on time." And this means it's still a PC port. If you develop a game from the start to the latter stages it kinda shift the lead, but still not where it was developed.

For games to get, avoid Steam like it's the plague, it's horrid place which force you to run the POS at all times. Use GoG.com, Gamersgate.com, GoG.com, Direct2Drive or gamefly or whatever it's called now, and impulsedriven.com. Try to avoid anything like Steam and Origin, where Origin is the better one, as it don't force you to run it with all games you buy there, but still, avoid both.

For games you should get, the fact is, most games dosn't matter if it's a console port as long as they are fun.

The Witcher 2(and 1 if you've never tried it)

Deus EX: Human Revolution

Skyrim

Total War: Shogun 2

Legends of Grimrock

Battlefield 3

Botanicula

Batman: Arkham City

StarCraft 2

Alan Wake (I already had it on Xbox, but enjoyed it a lot more on PC, and it already was a fantastic game)

Arma 2.

Tribes Ascend.

Every Stalker game that has been released to date if you haven't played these yet.

There is plenty out there, way to many to even start to list them, as the pc kinda gives you the experience you want in any genre. Also, you can just sit down on your ass and wait for games like Arma 3, Borderlands 2, Diablo 3, Dead State, Dishonored, Planetside 2, Torchlight 2, Prey 2, both Xcom games, Grim Dawn, Carrier Command, Metro: Last Light, Firefall, End of Nations, Hitman: Absolution, Thi4e, Warlock: Master of the Arcane, Overgrowth(awesome rabbit something killing stuffz) Natural Selection 2!,

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@supamon said:

This.

As for the games, you didn't really tell us what you're interested in, so I'll just give you some suggestions. Witcher 2, Company of Heroes, Empire Total War or Shogun 2, Stalker games, Civ V, Starcraft 2, Mount and Blade. All of those are recent-ish games. If you're willing to play older games i think you'll find a lot of gems, Fallout, Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate II, Stronghold, Rome Total War, Deus Ex, Morrowind, Anachronox, Far Cry.

There are many more, but these should get you started.

whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree. Steam saved pc gaming and most of the 40 million people on it choose to use it because it is good.

As far as i'm concerned these people saying "steam is the devil, don't use it" might as well be saying "I wish pc gaming was dead". Cause without it, it mostly would be.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Play Total War, if you enjoy Microsoft Excel. It plays very similarly, but it has way better graphics.

deox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deox

The Witcher 2, if you haven't played it already.

Mendelson9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Mendelson9

The Steam summer sale will be fun for you

TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TorMasturba

@Fattony12000 said:

If I got an Alienware I would take it back for a refund and get a personal computer.

I know right, his parents could've saved 2 grand and have a pc with the same capabilities for a third of the price, and not have to worry about voiding the warranty if he wants to upgrade it at a later date.

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@supamon said:

This.

As for the games, you didn't really tell us what you're interested in, so I'll just give you some suggestions. Witcher 2, Company of Heroes, Empire Total War or Shogun 2, Stalker games, Civ V, Starcraft 2, Mount and Blade. All of those are recent-ish games. If you're willing to play older games i think you'll find a lot of gems, Fallout, Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate II, Stronghold, Rome Total War, Deus Ex, Morrowind, Anachronox, Far Cry.

There are many more, but these should get you started.

All of these. Also, I only started playing games a lot more around 96-97, so I missed quite a few good games and also, being a kid, couldn't afford to play more than one at a time for 3 or 4 months at a time, but as time went by I played a significant chunk of the games you mention in the second line-up. Unfotunately I never got round to playing Fallout... Until now. And god damn I didn't know what I was missing! Can't get enough of it. Currently in Junktown and showing a certain unnamed fat person what the inside of my gun-barrel looks like.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By viking_funeral

Oh, man. It's always hard for me to not recommend PC gaming classics like Baldur's Gate II or Half-Life 2.

Witcher 2 & Battlefield 3 are both PC-centric games that are amazing on the PC. Skyrim is several times better on the PC, especially with mods. I'm a huge fan of strategy, a definite strength of the PC, so I'd recommend games like Starcraft 2, the Total War Series, and Civilization IV. Civilization V is easier to get into, but the strategy is pretty weak at high level play. I'm also a huge fan of Dragon Age: Origins on the PC, but there is a wealth of RPGs on the PC, mostly older.

Oh, and Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead 2.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@TorMasturba: You realize you just stole another say, 40 hours from me? Cause I'm gonna have to go and start a new playthrough of Fallout...thank you. Oh and I'm glad you finally started to play it.

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crypt135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Crypt135

@mm665 said:

The Witcher 2 and Battlefield 3 will be great games to test capabilities of your new PC.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@believer258 said:

Team Fortress 2.

Nope.

Adding features on doesn't stop a port being a port. If you read another article they say they started with the pc but moved onto the console later in development. Most of Battlefield 3 is designed with consoles in mind regardless of graphical fluff much like Arkham City.

He's correct, they only used the PC as a starting point because it allowed them to create next gen technology to show off at E3. The heart of the gameplay designs, the interface, the various features and aspects of the game, they're tailored for weak limited consoles.  

However, I disagree with him on "port = bad game." Yes, Skyrim and Crysis 2 are in fact console ports, but they're still extreeeeeeeemely enjoyable on PC, even more than they are on console. 
    Well, I loathe Crysis 2, but I mean it's fun for those who like it.
    jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#36  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

If your looking to both test its capability and play a kickass game, Witcher 2 is what you want.

demento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By demento

Tribes: Ascend, Team Fortress 2, Dunegon Defenders, Left 4 Dead 2, Half-Life series, and Minecraft

Spankmealotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Spankmealotus

@Doctorchimp said:

Diablo 3 in 13 days.

This, only it's 8 days now? Math is hard.

wh1terav3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#39  Edited By wh1terav3n

Hordes of Little People Blowing up (Strategy)

Starcraft 2

Civ 5

RaPaGa's (RPGs)

Witcher 2

The Shooty Shooty

(Free) Super Monday Night Combat

(Free) Tribes: Ascend

Battlefield 3

Team Fortress 2

The This Game Makes Me Want to Kill Myself

Dota 2 beta

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By FritzDude

Try out Civilization V. It's a fantastic turn based strategy game where you start in the early ages and build your way up to the modern era. The expansion pack comes out in summer too which will have enhanced features, new civilizations and religion. It's an easy game to get into and it's fun, and since it's turned based it's fairly stressless.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By bybeach

Steam, GOG..Diablo 3 next week(?)

For an excellent older shooter, get the origonal Painkiller. A dirivative something or other, not bad so far , besides the origonal (best) game, is on Steam.

@BeachThunder said:

Been waiting for that!!!!!!! Where is it, thought that was suppossed to happen by now ..

Avatar image for spacejamlunchbox
    SpaceJamLunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SpaceJamLunchbox

Honestly, if I had a pc that would run it, the first thing I'd play would be Amnesia. I know there are "better" games out there, but that one seems to offer something that a lot of others don't. It's on Steam too.

owack6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By owack6

If you are looking for a good multiplayer game you should try Super Monday Night Combat on steam, its free and probably the best game ive played in a long while.

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By BiG_Weasel

I just bought an X51 myself, to replace my 5-year old Alienware Aurora. I've played BF2, Witcher 2, and tons more on it, and its ran them all really well. Mine is the mid-ranged model (because I work for a living), and I can't say enough good things about the PC. As far as recommendations go, you can't go wrong with Sins of a Solar Empire, Civ V, Battlefield 3, Witcher 2 and Bastion. Oh, and Legend of Grimrock. That's a great game that's getting over looked.

Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jrad

@WinterSnowblind said:

Play Total War, if you enjoy Microsoft Excel. It plays very similarly, but it has way better graphics.

...I can't imagine what you'd think of a game like Hearts of Iron 3 or Victoria 2, if you think Total War of all things resembles a spreadsheet.

As for suggestions: Crusader Kings 2. It's a game experience that's simply impossible to have on anything but a PC.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#46  Edited By BeachThunder

@bybeach said:

@BeachThunder said:

I wish I knew They keep pushing back the release date :( It's going to be free though, so that's cool.

Killaman996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Killaman996

Thanks everyone Steam came one the computer i got the Warband series great game you guys should check it out i got the Old Republic and a few others Witcher will be next though

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.