Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Just ordered a new computer, can I have some thoughts on it?

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Rhaknar

So my 7 year old shit computer is finally dying on me, in what can only be described if it was a human as multi-organ failure, so i decided to finally get a new rig, or the components to build a new rig. This is what I ordered, mainly from advice of friends since I'm usually just a console gamer, not PC (which will now change).

Samsung 1TB Sata II 32MB F3 
    LCPower Hyperion V2.2 700W 140mm 
    Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz 8MB BOX 
    Gigabyte P55-USB3 IntelP55 SK1156 
    Corsair 2x2048MB DDR3 1600Mhz XMS3 CAS9 1.65V 
    PowerColor Ati HD5770 1GB DDR5 PCI-E 
    Nox Raiden 
    SAMSUNG DVD/Rw 22X DLayer Black Bulk SATA 
    Asus VH242H Full HD 1080p 5ms

What do you guys think? I know it's not a super computer that runs Crysis on full details or anything, but am I going to be happy with it? Will it run most games decently and whatnot? I appreciate the input!

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

Looks great.  Assuming you aren't trying to run some crazy high resolution, you should actually be able to run Crysis on high settings. I'm so jealous when people post about their new computers. I'm stuck on a two year old laptop that cannot play the types of games I'd like. It'll run Torchlight at least though, so I play that a lot.  :P

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Rhaknar
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " Looks great.  Assuming you aren't trying to run some crazy high resolution, you should actually be able to run Crysis on high settings. I'm so jealous when people post about their new computers. I'm stuck on a two year old laptop that cannot play the types of games I'd like. It'll run Torchlight at least though, so I play that a lot.  :P "
    reckon it can play starcraft 2 and dawn of war 2 for example at high settings?
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Rhaknar said:

" @JJWeatherman said:

" Looks great.  Assuming you aren't trying to run some crazy high resolution, you should actually be able to run Crysis on high settings. I'm so jealous when people post about their new computers. I'm stuck on a two year old laptop that cannot play the types of games I'd like. It'll run Torchlight at least though, so I play that a lot.  :P "
    reckon it can play starcraft 2 and dawn of war 2 for example at high settings? "
    I'm no super duper expert or anything, but as long as you keep the resolution to like 1600x900, you should be able to max out dawn of war 2 (not sure about what the specs are). Definitely Starcraft 2. I have a friend that just bought a new Vaio laptop that can run Starcraft 2 maxed, so it doesn't seem too hard.
    Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I think it would have been better if you took two 500GB hard drives and not 1TB. This looks like a great computer and I dont think you would have any problem running even the newest games on it.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Rhaknar said:

" @JJWeatherman said:

reckon it can play starcraft 2 and dawn of war 2 for example at high settings? "
    Absolutely. Might wanna add one of the RSS feeds from steamgamesales.com to your feed reader or homepage. Never pay full price for a game again.*

*Except for all games from Blizzard and most new games from Activision, at least until a very very long while after release.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Jadeskye
    @Rhaknar said:
    " So my 7 year old shit computer is finally dying on me, in what can only be described if it was a human as multi-organ failure, so i decided to finally get a new rig, or the components to build a new rig. This is what I ordered, mainly from advice of friends since I'm usually just a console gamer, not PC (which will now change).

Samsung 1TB Sata II 32MB F3 
    LCPower Hyperion V2.2 700W 140mm 
    Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz 8MB BOX 
    Gigabyte P55-USB3 IntelP55 SK1156 
    Corsair 2x2048MB DDR3 1600Mhz XMS3 CAS9 1.65V 
    PowerColor Ati HD5770 1GB DDR5 PCI-E 
    Nox Raiden 
    SAMSUNG DVD/Rw 22X DLayer Black Bulk SATA 
    Asus VH242H Full HD 1080p 5ms
    What do you guys think? I know it's not a super computer that runs Crysis on full details or anything, but am I going to be happy with it? Will it run most games decently and whatnot? I appreciate the input! "
    A Good machine, i would have made a few changes myself but thats why we build our own machines right? 

For 1600Mhz DDR3 CAS 6 stuff is MUCH better. not sure how much more that would be in your region. 
    I also would have gone with a Western Digital Caviar black 1TB drive, they're the best HDDs. 

Other then those small details, i'd say it's a very good machine. If there was something in there i'd upgrade, i'd say the GPU to an 8 series. but that represents a 40% premium and is largely up to your budget.
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#8  Edited By alistercat
    Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Nomin

Maybe consider opting for a gtx 460 in place of hd5770..
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By wefwefasdf

I have the same GPU as you. It's a great card. So far, I have been able to max out every game excluding Crysis at 1080p.

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By ZimboDK

Looks good. The only thing I would personally change is the hard drive. Maybe add an SSD or a 10000 rpm as a system drive and keep the 1TB as file storage.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrKlorox
    @ZimboDK: I concur
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Geno

Looking pretty good, it will definitely play SC2 and DoWII due mainly to the strong processor. LGA1156 is a strong platform, and you can always get a K series later for huge overclocking headroom (thus negating the need to upgrade for years and years). Would've chosen a stronger GPU for a gaming PC, but it should still be quite good for most games, and it's easily upgradeable in the future. 

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rhaknar

thanks a lot for the input guys, i'm glad most of the changes you mention are "smaller" things like a different hdd. Even tho I haven't been a PC gamer for ages now, I must admit that I'm getting excited now for this to arrive. Oh and I didn't ask, but I assume I'll be able to run WoW pretty much maxed out too lol. At the end of the day, that's what I'll play the most anyway, after the initial "let me try all these games out" phase.

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Gav47

Thats a really nice build, if you find you need more GPU power wait till the 6000 series cards come out (probably late November).

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Raven10

You should be able to run most games on max. You should be able to run Crysis on mostly max, even at 1080p, especially if you don't put on more than 2xAA. Starcraft 2 and Dawn of War 2 should be no problem. If you paid under or around $1000 for those parts I say you got a pretty good deal.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By AndrewB

I'd say those are some pretty amazing picks. You say it isn't a super computer, but in my eye anyone spending more than they need to for an unrealistic gaming experience are just plain suckers with too much money. 

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Rhaknar
    @AndrewB said:

" I'd say those are some pretty amazing picks. You say it isn't a super computer, but in my eye anyone spending more than they need to for an unrealistic gaming experience are just plain suckers with too much money.  "

well thats fuckin awesome to hear then :D
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By HitmanAgent47

It's no problem, just don't expect like excellent performance from metro 2033 or crysis, however most games should be good enough. I say you have nothing to worry about and if you want more power, of course the videocard is the upgrade you can make later on if you feel you need it.

grayfox1210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By grayfox1210

I would've gotten 6 or 8 gigs of RAM instead of the 4, but that's just me.  Everything else is pretty damn solid. No you can at least play anything you want. 

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Rhaknar
    @grayfox1210 said:
    " I would've gotten 6 or 8 gigs of RAM instead of the 4, but that's just me.  Everything else is pretty damn solid. No you can at least play anything you want.  "
    i assume all motherboards these days are ready to just wack 4 more when i want tho, so that shouldnt be too much of a prob. I was on a budget tbh so i needed to cut some corners
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Rhaknar
    @Raven10 said:
    " You should be able to run most games on max. You should be able to run Crysis on mostly max, even at 1080p, especially if you don't put on more than 2xAA. Starcraft 2 and Dawn of War 2 should be no problem. If you paid under or around $1000 for those parts I say you got a pretty good deal. "
    it was 800 for the components, and then 200 for the 24inch monitor (1000 was my budget so like i said, i had to cut some corners)
    Avatar image for themaniacsgnome
    TheManiacsGnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By TheManiacsGnome
    @grayfox1210 said:
    " I would've gotten 6 or 8 gigs of RAM instead of the 4, but that's just me.  Everything else is pretty damn solid. No you can at least play anything you want.  "
    6 or 8? 4GB in a LGA1156 machine is sufficient, and unless you're running wayyy to much stuff in the background you aren't going to notice anything.
    Chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Chandu83

Isn't a 460GTX better than 5770 and cheaper? I am not very sure, but you might want to consider it. 

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By Bigandtasty
    @Chandu83:  Better yes; cheaper no (about $50 USD difference depending on brand, sale, amount of VRAM and so on).
    Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Franstone

Could have gone for a better card like a 5870, other than that you're good. 

I have a 5870 that runs Crysis pretty playable for the most part w/ everything cranked up. 
    I'm sure crossfire'n it will solve that issue though, at least in time for Crysis2. 

You'll be able to play mostly everything, end of 2011 might be a different story though... 

If I had the chance I'd cancel the order on the card and spend 50-75 more for the next step up.

Chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Chandu83
    @Franstone: I wonder what your definition of playable is. I have a 260 and at 1920x1200 on High and no FSAA, it was definitely playable.
    Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Franstone
    @Chandu83 said:
    " @Franstone: I wonder what your definition of playable is. I have a 260 and at 1920x1200 on High and no FSAA, it was definitely playable. " 

Well I guess that wouldn't mean everything is cranked up then would it? 
    "High" in Crysis isn't the highest setting, it's "Very High" and yes I usaually have at least 2x FSAA on. 
    Also playing 64-bit w/ DX10... 
    If you remember any of the big battle scenes in those open areas, esp at the end of the game my FPS would drop below 20 into the low teens at times. 

Just started a new game right now, standing on the beach at the start of the game, 45 FPS, as soon as I turn around it drops to 35 FPS, this is w/ nothing happening on screen. 
    Just loaded the boss battle on the aircraft carrier, saw it drop below 13 FPS... 
    I consider that pretty playable for the most part.
    jimmy5150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By jimmy5150

This rig looks great, and you will have no problems running any current games on this hardware.  Looking at your upgrade timeline, I would suggest upgrading the video card first (when you aren't getting the performance that you want out of it anymore) and then looking to add some more RAM or an SSD when you need a little extra oomph, but that processor/mobo combo should last you quite a while.

MadeinFinland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By MadeinFinland

Looks pretty close to my new one :P 
    You'll be able to run everything decently - except for shitty ports of course. 

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Devildoll

the processor is one of the best you could buy . and the graphics card is kinda midrange , currently the graphics card is the part that can improve gaming performance the most .
    i would have spent a little more in the gfx department and subtracted that amount from the cpu department. 

overall , its going to be a nice computer. and you can always buy another graphics card later on when that time comes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.