Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Laptop buying advice.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I'm currently looking to buy a new laptop for around £500 (that's about $750). I know for that price I'm not going to be able to buy anything capable of doing anything brilliant on the gaming front, but if possible I would like to be able to play most new-ish games, even if I have to have them on low graphics settings.

Now, I've found this laptop for just over £540, which claims to be a gaming laptop, but for that price I'm skeptical of it actually being much use, and I only have a basic knowledge of computer specs, so can someone advise me on what sort of games this laptop can actually play, and if I can get one with better specs for a similar price?

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Mushir

Search for reviews. I can't really say anything about it, cause I don't own it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mike

I would expect to be able to run games like World of Goo on that laptop and not much more.  You may be able to get modern DX10 games to run, but it will be at the lowest possible resolution and with all details turned off.

What I'm saying is don't expect much from that laptop, it's not a gaming laptop in the sense of the word you have in mind.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Mushir

Just pay a little more and get a proper gaming laptop. Paying that much for a laptop that may not be able to run the newer games is a little stupid.

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By thebeast

I have a Dell Vostro 1500 which I'm very happy with, I've advised other people to buy Vostro's and they haven't had any problems as of yet - It's not fantastic for gaming, but with an upgraded graphics card it might be decent enough.

There's a bunch of new models available at - they're probably worth a look.

The X60MV looks pretty decent - you're still going to be restricted by that graphics card but it should play most modern games, if only on low detail - there are certainly better mobile gfx cards around for that price.

If you're looking for laptops specifically designed for high-end stuff; you're not going to get anything great at your budget but I've heard good (and bad) things about the Rock Pegasus'.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By ninjakiller

I bought a XPS M1710 when they first launched.  Great graphics performance, but the sound processor is shit.  It has SigmaTel integratd audio and it's fucking horrible.  Fallout 3's audio is all shit thanks to the pos sound card.  Don't try to go cheap when trying to get a gaming laptop, I've seen a coupld decent ones for around $1800 or so U.S., don't try to spend cheap and expect performance.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    Twilight said:
    "Paying that much for a laptop that may not be able to run the newer games is a little stupid."
    I'm not THAT bothered about gaming on it, but it would be a nice bonus. I'm not really expecting much for that price, but I still want to get the best specs I can within my price range.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

After a bit more research, I'm looking at this Acer Aspire 6920G. It seems to have a better processor, better graphics card, bigger hard drive AND a blu-ray drive. It does have less RAM, but 3GB should be enough, and even if it isn't RAM is easy to upgrade. I don't think I'll find a better deal for that sort of price.

Thanks for the advice though guys.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.