Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Laptop help!

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By vitor

OK, so I've (finally) convinced my parents to share the cost of a new laptop as a present for my 21st.

I'm currently looking at the Asus G72GX as my main choice - essentially, I want great performance on the cheap (don't we all?). I've found it for around $800 refurbished and $1100 new and am looking to buy for around that price. I live in the UK and so will be getting friends to ship it over and will therefore have to pay import tax, knocking the overall cost up by around another $250 so can't really afford to get a $1500 laptop. Would you guys recommend it over something like the ASUS G60Vx? Or anything else for that matter?

I've been away from the PC gaming scene for too long and am really looking forward to getting back into it (Dragon Age, Stalker, The Witcher here I come!) - would love a major gaming desktop but will be in Japan for all of next year as part of my university degree so need something vaguely portable...

Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Kblt

I wouldn't buy a laptop for any purpose. It's basically a slimline version of a tower PC, not to mention less powerful. You also need a case to carry it around. If you need an on the move source of internet and don't care to carry a suitcase where-ever you go, buy an iPhone or a netbook.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @Kblt said:
    " I wouldn't buy a laptop for any purpose. It's basically a slimline version of a tower PC, not to mention less powerful. You also need a case to carry it around. If you need an on the move source of internet and don't care to carry a suitcase where-ever you go, buy an iPhone or a netbook. "
    What?  It's called a backpack and an optional slipcase. 
    Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Kblt
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:

" @Kblt said:

" I wouldn't buy a laptop for any purpose. It's basically a slimline version of a tower PC, not to mention less powerful. You also need a case to carry it around. If you need an on the move source of internet and don't care to carry a suitcase where-ever you go, buy an iPhone or a netbook. "
    What?  It's called a backpack and an optional slipcase.  "
    Fuck you, classy people use a suitcase, no offense.
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By vitor
    @Kblt said:

" @MAN_FLANNEL said:

Duder - get back on topic! The fact is that this laptop can run Crysis on high with a stable 30FPS +, Batman: AA on Ultra and Dragon Age Origins on Very High - all I could possibly want. No way I can get that kind of performance off an iPhone... Plus mobile internet isn't something I'm desperate for.

I just want to know if I could get more bang for my buck with a different model or if I should try to find it refurbished (no idea where to look for that though)

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By Atlas

I spent £2,000 on a laptop in 2007 that I thought would be able to run Crysis on the higher settings. Boy I was wrong. And now I sincerely regret it. I wanted a laptop because I generally share my time between two houses, and wanted a single device for games and other stuff, but in hindsight the thing to do is always get a expensive PC for playing games and cheap-ass laptop that can maybe run simpler or older games. I use my crummy old PC to play old games like Age of Empires II, SimCity 4 and Morrowind. Ideally this should be reversed.

Still, my '07 rig, a Dell XPS M1710 with an nVidia card, 130GB of hard drive space and 2GB of RAM, is pretty rubbish at running games. It did alright with Oblivion and Half-Life 2, but struggles running Torchlight, as the framerate drops when a bunch of characters are on the screen, which happens, you know, a lot. Also, it produces shit loads of heat and noise, and if you use it on your lap, it will cook your sperm. In fact, it's because I was so disappointed in my laptop's inability to run Crysis that I bought an Xbox 360 six months later. Well, that and Oblivion stopped working on my laptop and I needed my fix. I think BioShock's DRM also had something to do with it.

I have learnt a valuable life lesson - NEVER buy an expensive gaming laptop, unless you absolutely have to.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By vitor
    @Atlas said:
    " I spent £2,000 on a laptop in 2007 that I thought would be able to run Crysis on the higher settings. Boy I was wrong. And now I sincerely regret it. I wanted a laptop because I generally share my time between two houses, and wanted a single device for games and other stuff, but in hindsight the thing to do is always get a expensive PC for playing games and cheap-ass laptop that can maybe run simpler or older games. I use my crummy old PC to play old games like Age of Empires II, SimCity 4 and Morrowind. Ideally this should be reversed. Still, my '07 rig, a Dell XPS M1710 with an nVidia card, 130GB of hard drive space and 2GB of RAM, is pretty rubbish at running games. It did alright with Oblivion and Half-Life 2, but struggles running Torchlight, as the framerate drops when a bunch of characters are on the screen, which happens, you know, a lot. Also, it produces shit loads of heat and noise, and if you use it on your lap, it will cook your sperm. In fact, it's because I was so disappointed in my laptop's inability to run Crysis that I bought an Xbox 360 six months later. Well, that and Oblivion stopped working on my laptop and I needed my fix. I think BioShock's DRM also had something to do with it.  I have learnt a valuable life lesson - NEVER buy an expensive gaming laptop, unless you absolutely have to. "
    The thing is, I'll be spending £850 for one that DEFINITELY runs Crysis on high and gets 60 FPS + on Left 4 Dead/TF2 and other older games. I've checked reviews and everyone loves the Nvidia gtx 260m card in this thing and with 6GB of Ram and a 2.53Ghz Core Two Duo, I should be fine with all current gen games for the foreseeable future (I'm looking at you Rage - if you can run on 360, you can damn well run well on this rig).
    essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By essaregee
    @Vitor:

friends to ship it over and will therefore have to pay import tax.

Get your friends to mark it as a gift. Gifts don't get charged import tax.
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By vitor
    @essaregee said:
    " @Vitor:

friends to ship it over and will therefore have to pay import tax.

Get your friends to mark it as a gift. Gifts don't get charged import tax. "
    Customs apparently doesn't always let that fly - and I'd rather not have a hefty fine for incurring their wrath. I'm already saving £500 ($800) on the price a similar rig would set me back in the UK (and it wouldn't be as good) so I don't really mind paying an extra £130 ($200) - although I will check on this, maybe as it's Christmas after all...
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By vitor

Just checked - apparently you'll pay brokerage & customs on anything over $60. And if I say it's worth less than the full $1150, that's all they'll pay back in insurance if something happens on the way over...

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By Atlas
    @Vitor: Your decision making in buying a laptop is evidently much more informed and intelligent then mine was, but my point stands. If you buy a gaming laptop there could well come a time when you stop and think "why the hell did I buy this?". I'd probably bet my entire games library that Rage will push that laptop to the limit when it comes out. Don't believe the hype; get a PC.
    essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By essaregee
    @Vitor: Could you then say that it cost them... $400 and then the customs tax will be a lot less? There isn't a real way they could verify the price anyway.
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By vitor
    @essaregee: If they think that the price you've declared is too low, they'll slap on whatever price they deem fit and charge you for that. Plus, as I said, if something happens on the way and the laptop gets lost, I can only claim the amount I declared - if I say it was $400, that's all I get back and so would loose $750...
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jmrwacko

My suggestion is if you go for a laptop, stick with a netbook or a tablet laptop. Most "high performance laptops" (anything meant for "gaming" and weighing more than 5 pounds) aren't very portable and have terrible battery lives, and will end up just sitting in one place as a gimped, overexpensive desktop PC. I got a gaming laptop last year and I'm already replacing it with a true desktop PC.

@Vitor said:

" @Atlas said:
    " I spent £2,000 on a laptop in 2007 that I thought would be able to run Crysis on the higher settings. Boy I was wrong. And now I sincerely regret it. I wanted a laptop because I generally share my time between two houses, and wanted a single device for games and other stuff, but in hindsight the thing to do is always get a expensive PC for playing games and cheap-ass laptop that can maybe run simpler or older games. I use my crummy old PC to play old games like Age of Empires II, SimCity 4 and Morrowind. Ideally this should be reversed. Still, my '07 rig, a Dell XPS M1710 with an nVidia card, 130GB of hard drive space and 2GB of RAM, is pretty rubbish at running games. It did alright with Oblivion and Half-Life 2, but struggles running Torchlight, as the framerate drops when a bunch of characters are on the screen, which happens, you know, a lot. Also, it produces shit loads of heat and noise, and if you use it on your lap, it will cook your sperm. In fact, it's because I was so disappointed in my laptop's inability to run Crysis that I bought an Xbox 360 six months later. Well, that and Oblivion stopped working on my laptop and I needed my fix. I think BioShock's DRM also had something to do with it.  I have learnt a valuable life lesson - NEVER buy an expensive gaming laptop, unless you absolutely have to. "
    The thing is, I'll be spending £850 for one that DEFINITELY runs Crysis on high and gets 60 FPS + on Left 4 Dead/TF2 and other older games. I've checked reviews and everyone loves the Nvidia gtx 260m card in this thing and with 6GB of Ram and a 2.53Ghz Core Two Duo, I should be fine with all current gen games for the foreseeable future (I'm looking at you Rage - if you can run on 360, you can damn well run well on this rig). "

It may run Crysis on high, but TF2 will cap at 20 fps. I'm telling you, laptop components are wildly unpredictable and have terrible drivers. For the same price as a gaming laptop you could get a solid netbook and a gaming desktop that will run ten times better. Based on my own personal experience, this is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.