Leaf Blower to dust out a PC?

#1 Posted by sfighter21 (794 posts) -

So, I figure it's about time I dusted out my rig. This is my first gaming comp, so I don't have experience with the process. I have heard people on the internets, and my friend as well, say that using a leaf blower is ok to use. The only reason I would want to consider this route is that it seems fast, and efficient. Does anyone know if it really IS SAFE, and if there is something to avoid when using a blower. Other than that, if it isn't, I'll just go the normal route and buy compressed air cans... Thanks guys.

#2 Edited by Lego_My_Eggo (982 posts) -

That can damage the fans and build up static, which would not be good. Compressed air or a low powered vacuum would be the better options.

#3 Posted by crazyleaves (640 posts) -

It's best to vaccum out the power source if dust gets in there it's likely to cause a short. So maybe if you took out your Ps? Otherwise goodluck!

#4 Posted by Bollard (5248 posts) -

Buy compressed air, it's like five quid for 3 large bottles or something on amazon.

#5 Posted by warxsnake (2635 posts) -

compressed air cans, blow the dust out one side with a vac running to clean it all up. 

#6 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

I use the air blower of my vacuum cleaner, its not nearly as powerful as a leaf blower, and I only pass it across the PC in quick moves to not put too much air pressure on my rig. 

Either get compressed air cans or stand meters away from the PC in an open area and use the leaf blower. You don't want too much pressure on the fragile parts!

#7 Posted by wewantsthering (1551 posts) -

@Lego_My_Eggo said:

That can damage the fans and build up static, which would not be good. Compressed air or a low powered vacuum would be the better options.

Exactly. They sell little cheap bottles of compressed air for the exact purpose of cleaning out your computer.

#8 Posted by GrandMarshal (387 posts) -

this is why you shouldn't have nice things

#9 Posted by AndrewB (7490 posts) -

If your leaf blower happens to have an incredibly low power setting, then maybe. I'd just be wary of it doing damage because it's on a much larger scale than a simple can of compressed air. I'm also wary of vacuum attachments because they're generally plastic and full of static electricity.

#10 Posted by Jams (2959 posts) -

I've been advised against using an air compressor but I've been cleaning my computers with them for like 10 years without fail. I guess they're not good because something like dust particles and mist can shoot out with the air thought I haven't experienced any failed hardware due do that. I've been using the kind that you use with nail guns and the like with a blower attachment.

#11 Posted by sfighter21 (794 posts) -

Hey, thanks a bunch guys! Appreciate all the insight.

#12 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

They say that 99% of the population is within two standard deviations of the mean IQ of 100. I think we just found an outlier.

#13 Posted by spartica (68 posts) -

Leafblower. Nothing bad will happen at all.

#14 Posted by ZombiePie (5583 posts) -

Dude what? 

Moderator Online
#15 Posted by cartvader (142 posts) -

if you use the leaf blower please post a vid.

#16 Posted by Capt_Ventris (588 posts) -

Will and Norm just had chills run down their spines

#17 Posted by NMC2008 (1231 posts) -

Give your PC a nice hot bath, then rub some strawberry oil all over it, put some lingerie on it and make sweet love to it. Use the canned air. A leaf blower makes it sound like a joke thread, I know you're probably serious but it sounds like a joke thread. :)

#18 Posted by ShaggE (6330 posts) -

... Tim Allen?

#19 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -

You're making me cry right now.

#20 Posted by defaulttag (890 posts) -
#21 Posted by 49th (2691 posts) -

Don't be a pussy use a jet engine dude.

#22 Posted by EuanDewar (4757 posts) -

100%

#23 Posted by Fattony12000 (7040 posts) -

Just dump a gallon of Mountain Dew into that fucker with it switched on.

#24 Posted by SexualBubblegumX (542 posts) -

As some people have mentioned before that seems like a bad idea dude. Try using compressed air cans and q-tips instead.

#25 Posted by scraz (77 posts) -

@defaulttag:

Been using the datavac for almost a year now and cant speak highly enough of it.

Pro-tip:Place some pens in your fans so they cant move and go to town.

#26 Posted by crusader8463 (14413 posts) -

@defaulttag: God dam you for posting that video. As if I needed another thing to go buy!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.