LFGame: "Funny" RPG for PC

#1 Edited by Nocall (356 posts) -

I'm looking for an RPG game with a good amount of humor. How old it is doesn't matter, as long as I can get it to work on a Windows 7 PC and I don't have to download anything even remotely illegal.

Action combat is a bit of a turn off, but not a complete deal breaker. I'm going to be using it as a mental stress reliever while I work on a big project, so something where I can breathe and relax while playing is desirable (i.e., turn based combat).

The best I could find on my own is Anachronox, which seems promising and I can get for $6 on GoG, but I wanted to ask the community in-case any of you duders out there have suggestions.

#2 Edited by sadsadsad (131 posts) -

The Bard's Tale is supposed to be funny, I've never played it. It was bundled (iirc) so it should be pretty easy to find a cheap steam code or get it on gog.

#3 Edited by BeachThunder (12427 posts) -

The Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness series.

#4 Posted by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -

If you don't mind a sort of darker type of humor, that's more of a smirking at how shitty the world is, it's Fallout 1 and 2.

The Bard's Tale is supposed to be funny, I've never played it. It was bundled (iirc) so it should be pretty easy to find a cheap steam code or get it on gog.

As someone who has played it. I second The Bard's Tale. It's very lighthearted and relatively easy. It is more of an action game, but honestly it not that big of a deal it's quite stress free.

The Penny Arcade games are also a good suggestion. And are probably the best fit. Tho the first 2 games do feature an active type of turn based combat.

#5 Edited by ThunderSlash (1960 posts) -

Earthbound is a classic if you are looking for a turn based JRPG with humor.

Edit: Oh damn PC only? The JRPGs by Zeboyd Games are supposed to be pretty good.

#6 Posted by BisonHero (7054 posts) -

@thunderslash: Yeah, anything by Zeboyd is a good fit. Costume Quest has some light kids' humour but not the best gameplay, and Half-Minute Hero has some weird humour and weird gameplay but is basically a funny JRPG.

#7 Posted by BeachThunder (12427 posts) -

If you don't mind a sort of darker type of humor, that's more of a smirking at how shitty the world is, it's Fallout 1 and 2.

I really hated the humour in Fallout 2 - they really laid the 4th wall breaking/referential humour on thick =|

#8 Posted by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -

@tennmuerti said:

I really hated the humour in Fallout 2 - they really laid the 4th wall breaking/referential humour on thick =|

I find that people tend to selectively forget that most if not all of that 4th wall stuff was relegated to special encounters. Just like in the first game. Fallout 2 did have more referential type stuff however, that much is true. There is still plenty of the dark toned chuckle worthy stuff in the main game that is not that at all.

#9 Posted by BeachThunder (12427 posts) -

@beachthunder said:

@tennmuerti said:

I find that people tend to selectively forget that most if not all of that 4th wall stuff was relegated to special encounters. Just like in the first game. Fallout 2 did have more referential type stuff however, that much is true. There is still plenty of the dark toned chuckle worthy stuff in the main game that is not that at all.

There were a bunch of stuff in special encounters, but there's also a lot of overt stuff - such as multiple NPCs saying "You look like you belong in a battle mech computer game. This is Fallout 2. Maybe you opened the wrong folder on your hard drive."

More here.

#10 Edited by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -

@beachthunder: Gotta be honest with you here, as someone who has completed F2 probably more then half a dozen times, I've never seen that phrase. And checking up on the wiki you linked, sure enough you need a specific armor and talk to one specific NPC, whom during a standard playthrough you wouldn't normally go back to after getting that armor. That's some deep diggin.

Like I've said above, I agree it's full of references, but references I don't mind especially when there is the rest of the 90% of the text written for it that's well free of it. The 4th wall stuff is quite rare unless you seek it out on purpose.

Tho I suppose if one is already aware of all of that and it irritates, I can see how it's going to do so quite significantly. I just never got hung up on the minor stuff. /shrug

#11 Posted by BeachThunder (12427 posts) -

@beachthunder: Gotta be honest with you here, as someone who has completed F2 probably more then half a dozen times, I've never seen that phrase. And checking up on the wiki you linked, sure enough you need a specific armor and talk to one specific NPC, whom during a standard playthrough you wouldn't normally go back to after getting that armor. That's some deep diggin.

Like I've said above, I agree it's full of references, but references I don't mind especially when there is the rest of the 90% of the text written for it that's well free of it. The 4th wall stuff is quite rare unless you seek it out on purpose.

For me, it wasn't deep digging, I was just playing the game normally. I remember there being about 3 NPCs on the screen saying that exact same line. I'm definitely willing to admit though that I'm not exactly a "standard" player - I'm usually extremely meticulous when playing stuff.

I suppose the 90% thing is part of the issue - the game simultaneously has some great writing and also some terrible shit. If the game was completely goofy and jokey, it wouldn't be as bad - but to me, it felt like 4th wall humour was breaking the immersion of an otherwise detailed and atmospheric game.

#12 Edited by Xanadu (424 posts) -

You should consider Barkley, Shut up and Jam: Gaiden. It is a turn based RPG on PC and it is hilarious. I doubly recommend it if you like the movie Space Jam. It's a free game so don't expect to be blown away by graphics or radical game-play, but for what it is it's a solid experience. Here's a link

#13 Posted by CornBREDX (6039 posts) -

I played it. I didn't think it was funny, but humor is subjective. It is supposed to be humorous, though. Carey Elwes voices the main character which is cool. I think there's other famous actors in there as well, but I forget.

The Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness series.

I can second this. I thought all of these were very funny and worth playing through at least once. Interestingly when the series went to Zeboyd and it went lower res (and cheaper) they became longer- arguably better- games. Not that that matters, but I thought it was interesting. Ya, even the game mechanics have comedy in this series.

@xanadu said:

You should consider Barkley, Shut up and Jam: Gaiden. It is a turn based RPG on PC and it is hilarious. I doubly recommend it if you like the movie Space Jam. It's a free game so don't expect to be blown away by graphics or radical game-play, but for it is it's a solid experience. Here's a link

I haven't played these but they get a good rap for their parodical nature.

I would also drop down Fable, because I liked the first one and it's humor, but I don't support Lionhead because they like to screw over their players, and the HD re-release of Fable 1 I hear is not great (and imo unnecessary) so it's a toss up if you'd actually want to play that or not, but it can be good for a laugh if you want to consider it.

#14 Edited by TechnoSyndrome (960 posts) -

Seconding the Barkley recommendation, been playing it myself recently and it's not only funny but also legitimately fun to play. They do some really interesting things with the turn based format.

#15 Edited by FantasyRPGs (2 posts) -

Necropost here. I am currently developing a satirical rpg in a classic graphic style. Here is the link!: The Meridian Shard

Walk hard.

#16 Edited by FantasyRPGs (2 posts) -

Necropost here. I am currently developing a satirical rpg in a classic graphic style. Here is my site: www.ultimatefantasystudio.com

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.