Like Amnesia? Being Scared? You should probably try Slender!

Posted by Bojangle (78 posts) -

At the time of posting, both these download links were working!

Windows

Mac

I love horror games, but they genuinely terrify me. I only finished Amnesia because I muted the sound halfway through. So when I read about Slender which is based on the Slender Man mythos I had to try it, despite knowing it would probably give me nightmares. The premise is simple, you're in a forest with nothing but a flashlight and you need to collect 8 notes/pages/crazed scribblings before Slender Man gets you. Sounds easy, huh? Well yeah, you'd think so. The most I've collected is five. Once you pick up four the intensity picks up not only in the music, but in the frequency you encounter Slender Man, once you hit five notes you need nerves of steel to not panic. I dread to think how Slender Man reacts once you're on your seventh note.

If you're a fan of horror games, I urge you to give this indie developed nightmare inducer a try, you won't regret it. Or maybe you will.

Here's me and my girlfriend playing it earlier. Can you guess who screams the most?

#1 Posted by Bojangle (78 posts) -

At the time of posting, both these download links were working!

Windows

Mac

I love horror games, but they genuinely terrify me. I only finished Amnesia because I muted the sound halfway through. So when I read about Slender which is based on the Slender Man mythos I had to try it, despite knowing it would probably give me nightmares. The premise is simple, you're in a forest with nothing but a flashlight and you need to collect 8 notes/pages/crazed scribblings before Slender Man gets you. Sounds easy, huh? Well yeah, you'd think so. The most I've collected is five. Once you pick up four the intensity picks up not only in the music, but in the frequency you encounter Slender Man, once you hit five notes you need nerves of steel to not panic. I dread to think how Slender Man reacts once you're on your seventh note.

If you're a fan of horror games, I urge you to give this indie developed nightmare inducer a try, you won't regret it. Or maybe you will.

Here's me and my girlfriend playing it earlier. Can you guess who screams the most?

#2 Posted by JYoung (151 posts) -

I was about 4 notes in thinking, "I'm a little nervous, but the graphics aren't great and the mechanics seem predicable enough that this isn't going to scare me that much." Then after that 5th one, I lost it. I've never played Amnesia, because my computer's really gotten worse playing games, but I would have a tough time with it.

#3 Posted by Landon (4139 posts) -

Was literally about to post a blog about this requesting a quick look. This shit is exactly up Patricks ally. Patrick and Ryan Quick Look, please!

#4 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3804 posts) -

I don't think I'd ever be able to play this.

Scariest thing to me in a horror game is non-linearity... it's something you rarely see but moments when it occurs are just terrifying because I freeze up and don't want to do anything. Even though most of the game wasn't scary, I recall Resident Evil 4 when you were in the village and you came back out to the village center after night fell and you couldn't see a thing but you could hear enemies... I remember just sitting there for a long time not wanting to do anything.

I think this is a great idea for horror, non linear and dynamic stuff. Its a different level.

#5 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7077 posts) -

That was a pretty funny video and this looks like a pretty creepy game. Only thing that kind of detracted from the horror was the Slenderman himself. His texture and model don't look as good as the trees and such. He stands like his pants are about to slide off. Still super creepy though.

#6 Posted by Mom_I_Cant_Pause_It (7 posts) -

After beating Amnesia I thought I would be ready for most other horror games. I was so wrong. Only gotten to 5 pages as my max. Enjoy my reaction the first two times. Warning No No words were said

http://youtu.be/OqdtQL97M_M

#7 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -

I can't wait for Patrick to play this when he gets back!

#8 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3804 posts) -

@Mom_I_Cant_Pause_It said:

After beating Amnesia I thought I would be ready for most other horror games. I was so wrong. Only gotten to 5 pages as my max. Enjoy my reaction the first two times. Warning No No words were said

http://youtu.be/OqdtQL97M_M

You were as frantic as I would have been and the part when you ran into him inside scared the shit out of me just watching. The other video wasn't like that for me gahhhhhh. "Well played" lol.

For those who are playing: is there a sprint key? The first video had the flashlight seeming to be lowered for a sprint but yours didn't.

#9 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

Slender Man genuinely terrifies me after watching all the youtube videos. I'll stick to laughing at you guys since I'm much too scared myself :)

#10 Edited by wewantsthering (1564 posts) -

Doesn't seem nearly as scary as Amnesia, but I will try it out.

Edit: I take it back. I was freaked out when I actually played it. Haha.

#11 Posted by kerse (2112 posts) -

@Landon said:

Was literally about to post a blog about this requesting a quick look. This shit is exactly up Patricks ally. Patrick and Ryan Quick Look, please!

I hope they play it with the lights off if possible in the quick look room, wanna hear Patrick scream lol.

#12 Edited by Mom_I_Cant_Pause_It (7 posts) -

@ArtisanBreads: There is but people have been saying the more you use it your overall stamina will keep decreasing. Towards the end of my video you can see me attempt to run but the character stops very quickly.This was because I was just running from the start

#13 Posted by FoolishChaos (435 posts) -

horror games never demo well in a quick look format, sadly :(

#14 Posted by Heltom92 (709 posts) -

Shit I'm pretty proud of the fact that I finished Amnesia by myself in the dark but I dunno if I want to play this lol

#15 Posted by Bojangle (78 posts) -

@Mom_I_Cant_Pause_It: Yeah it definitely seems like the more you sprint the less effective it becomes, which sort of makes sense I guess.

I'm seriously wondering if anyone has actually managed to find all 8 notes, as I said in my original post I've yet to get past five, and in other videos I've watched I don't 'think' I've seen more than six collected...

Another vote for a Patrick quick look, here!

#16 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3804 posts) -

@Mom_I_Cant_Pause_It said:

@ArtisanBreads: There is but people have been saying the more you use it your overall stamina will keep decreasing. Towards the end of my video you can see me attempt to run but the character stops very quickly.This was because I was just running from the start

Well that's even scarier.

#17 Posted by kumquat (128 posts) -

Going to try it tonight.

I'm also going to tape together a few of my kid's diapers to wear while I play it.

#18 Posted by Philip (126 posts) -

Where can we download this?

#19 Posted by Philip (126 posts) -
#20 Posted by sofakingcool (355 posts) -

There is no way I could play this. Maybe 5 minutes before I make excuses and do something else.

#21 Posted by Deusx (1903 posts) -

I can´t believe how much hype this game has gotten. It´s incredibly mediocre. Just like every other SCP game out there.

#22 Posted by fishmicmuffin (1041 posts) -
@Philip said:

Ok, it has a webpage.

http://www.slendergame.com/

Thank you for finding that! Saved me the trouble. I was sad when the download link was broken. 
#23 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

@FoolishChaos said:

horror games never demo well in a quick look format, sadly :(

I watched a stream of it for 5 minutes and it freaked me out, there is no story and the entire game is just to collect 8 pages before he gets you.

They could easily do a quick look for it but they probably wont.

#24 Posted by Mikewrestler5 (602 posts) -

I can't believe how terrifying this game is. I just got done playing it, and I don't think I'll be playing it again.

#25 Posted by HatKing (5896 posts) -

This is crazy. I have a couple friends responsible for making a Slenderman series. I don't follow the community, but they seem to have quite the following within it.

#26 Posted by Tarsier (1057 posts) -

4chan.. . no thanks

#27 Posted by Milkman (16677 posts) -

It seems terrifying but it also doesn't seem like a very good game. I guess that's maybe the point...?

#28 Posted by matti00 (668 posts) -

I just downloaded this, but I doubt I'll be able to play it more than once. Those Youtube videos are a lot of fun to watch though, maybe I should just stick to that *scared face*

#29 Posted by yoshisaur (2708 posts) -

The sound is what really gets me in that game. The face is easy to deal with, nothing grotesque or out of order to really get under your skin. It's the added music and ambience that really gives me the chills. Page #5 is the absolute worse. However, the game stops being scary and leans more on annoying once you start putting more time into it. I find that the Slender-man is extremely cheap and nearly impossible to avoid in some portions - but I guess maybe that may be the point? Also:

You seriously fucking die no matter what you do. I know it's horror, but I don't like getting slapped in the face...
#30 Posted by Bojangle (78 posts) -

Just incase you guys haven't seen it, there's an 'unofficial' sequel to Slender out now, Sanatorium. It really is pretty much a map pack for Slender with a few changes. Yep, it's still quite scary, especially when drunk.

Since we recorded that there's already another map out, Hospice. Judging from other Youtube videos that also seems worth a download, if you like your horror of the Slender Man variety.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.