Looking for a decent $50-$100 surround sound system/headphones

#1 Posted by MethodMan008 (807 posts) -

Hey duders...

So I used to use a Sharper Image system for my PC that sounded pretty good, but one of the speakers cuts in and out all the time now so I have gone back to just using the speakers in my monitor.. Which aren't great.

Looking for something cheap, but that sounds nice.

Any cheap/good 7.1 headsets exist? I'd really like to have something 7.1 for Left 4 Dead 2.. But not a neccessity by any means.

These would be mainly for my PC, but if it could work with my PS3 that would be great too. For my PS3 I play on the PS3 3d monitor and use the built in speakers, which are fairly decent for in-tv speakers, but I wouldn't mind something better.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Surround-Sound-Speakers-980-000430/dp/B003VAK1FA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=KSQBIUMRB0L4&coliid=I3H8FJFS0MNCGX <-- That is the system I was thinking about buying.. What y'all think about that one?

Thanks for the help all!

#2 Posted by VACkillers (1059 posts) -

that will be more then enough for what you'll want :D

#3 Posted by Osaladin (2515 posts) -

I have the exact same set and they work great. Never had a problem with them. The bass is really nice too, playing BF3 is awesome with all the explosions and gun shots.

#4 Posted by SynticV1 (53 posts) -
#5 Posted by banishedsoul1 (294 posts) -

Does it have to buy surround? I hear that Streo sound can be better due to the much smaller and some times cheaper drivers inside 5.1 + headsets.

#6 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1924 posts) -

@banishedsoul1: I don't understand what you're saying, stereo and 5.1 are two different things. Stereo refers to 2 channels and 5.1 refers to 5 channels plus a subwoofer.

#7 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

You wont find 7.1 headsets, because 7.1 means 7 speakers and 1 subwoofer. Personaly I like head sets, and just use a $50 Sony brand one. But I have been looking for new speakers, because I am getting feedback when I download things from the internet.

#8 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@Dagbiker: technically, yes, but headphones can easily emulate 7.1

#9 Posted by banishedsoul1 (294 posts) -

@RollingZeppelin said:

@banishedsoul1: I don't understand what you're saying, stereo and 5.1 are two different things. Stereo refers to 2 channels and 5.1 refers to 5 channels plus a subwoofer.

I know how it works. However there is only so much space inside a headphone. So they must use smaller weaker speakers to fit around your ear to make surround sound. While with 2 channel sound you get one big powerful speaker per ear which can give you better sound then a bunch of tiny speakers.

#10 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1924 posts) -

@banishedsoul1 said:

@RollingZeppelin said:

I know how it works. However there is only so much space inside a headphone. So they must use smaller weaker speakers to fit around your ear to make surround sound. While with 2 channel sound you get one big powerful speaker per ear which can give you better sound then a bunch of tiny speakers.

OK, I see what you mean now. Yeah, a good stereo headphone will always outperform a 5.1 one of similar price in terms of sound quality.

#11 Posted by MrSlapHappy (178 posts) -

Its probably bad form to suggest this but I will anyways. I got recommended a Creative Fatality headset, with USB connection (seems like they only sell them with 3.5mm jacks now). But, I really like them and they have held up pretty good for the 2+ years that I have had them. My only real complaint is that they dont seem to work with my PS3.

#12 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Dunno how much they are in America but I swear by the Turtle Beach PX5, I had a decent 5.1 Onkyo sound system and got those for late night gaming, they sounded so good I just use them all the time now. Great for movies aswell and have blue tooth so can listen to podcasts\music through them when cooking and can recieve phonecalls through them aswell. Built in EQ with 9 settings even some cheap ones like enhanced foot steps in Call of Duty but I mostly just used the increased bass EQ. They have a Xbox and PS3 mode by double clicking the power and can plug into PC's with the Dolby Digital codecs installed.

#13 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@banishedsoul1 said:

Does it have to buy surround? I hear that Streo sound can be better due to the much smaller and some times cheaper drivers inside 5.1 + headsets.

Surround is so much better makes games more immersive IMO, couldnt play BF3 and Dead Space games without them.

#14 Posted by banishedsoul1 (294 posts) -

@MrSlapHappy:

i had that headset its a decent headset for the price but its still a bit cheap

#15 Posted by MrSlapHappy (178 posts) -

@banishedsoul1:

Yeah, I suppose when your budget is over 100 bucks, it is a bit on the cheaper end. I was used to 25 dollar Logitech headsets so it was a substantial upgrade when I switched. I do like the sound and while the fuzzy earphones make my ears warm sometimes, usually they are just soft and nice...and covered in bits of lint, but they are on my head so I don't see that often.

#16 Posted by BillyTheKid (484 posts) -

I find that Bose headphones are really good for surround sound as well as sound in general. I really like them. Though I usually use my cheaper pair of Sony's and they have a really nice surround effect too.

#17 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@banishedsoul1 said:

That's why you buy stereo headphones + a sound card capable of Dolby Headphone, then you get surround sound over stereo and it works fantastically.

Here's an example, it works but it isn't 'true' Dolby Headphone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMkunPQMhN4

@Dagbiker said:

because 7.1 means 7 speakers and 1 subwoofer

It doesn't though, that's why Dolby Headphone 7.1 is a thing. 7.1 typically would refer to 7 speakers and a subwoofer but it also translates as 8 channels of audio which is how you set up stereo headphones with DH, well unless you only want to use 5.1 in which case you pick 6.

@RollingZeppelin said:

@banishedsoul1 said:

@RollingZeppelin said:

OK, I see what you mean now. Yeah, a good stereo headphone will always outperform a 5.1 one of similar price in terms of sound quality.

I don't think you can even buy 5.1/7.1 headsets anymore. Now they are all just stereo headsets with Dolby Headphone or similar technology built-in. (so marketing them as surround sound is still just)

I had some of the leading "Hey we just packed 6 speakers into these" types and they were terrible, took them back for a refund. Picked up a pair of HD595s and a Xonar DX, never looked back, still running great almost 5 years later.

#18 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (992 posts) -

This looks like a decent headset, but im not that into high end audio so googling a review of them would probably help you out more, but from what i hear the PlayStation branded stuff for the ps3 has been very good for there prices.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.