Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Looking for a video card replacement, need some help

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I have an old desktop with popped caps on the video card. So I just want to replace it basically. No need to upgrade or anything like that. What do I need to look for? It's AGP. When looking for video cards, does DDR1/2/3 matter at all as far as compatibility with my computer? These are the 2 most similar cards I found to what I have now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130233&cm_re=geforece_6200_256mb_agp-_-14-130-233-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130465&cm_re=geforece_6200_256mb_agp-_-14-130-465-_-Product

Why would DDR1 be more expensive than DDR2? Also on newegg, I noticed video cards say things like "8x video card" or "4/8x video card." What does this mean?

Thanks for any help. If you have any better places to buy than newegg just let me know.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By sodiumCyclops

You need to post your specs as you can't simply throw any new video card in your setup and expect it to work.

Let us know the following:

CPU (you processor)
    Mobo (motherboard)

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodiumCyclops said:
    " You need to post your specs as you can't simply throw any new video card in your setup and expect it to work.  Let us know the following:  CPU (you processor) Mobo (motherboard) "
    CPU is Intel Pentium 4 at 2.0 Ghz
    What would you need to know about the motherboard? The video card was in a AGP slot. What else would you need to know?
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By sodiumCyclops
    @TripMasterMunky: Does your motherboard happen to have a PCI-E slot? I'm not even sure any manufacturers make AGP cards anymore.
    BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By BigLemon

Yeah PCI is the norm these days.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I can't recommend you that many cards because I might not remember, maybe an ati 1950 pro, hd 2400 if they still make agp relics cards anymore. However I can answer some of your questions. DDR 1 ram is more expensive because it's more rare, they don't make it anymore where ddr2 ram is cheap because they still make that stuff and ddr 3 ram is more expensive because it's newer and faster. Also the 4X or 8X is the speed it can go though the mobo. Most pci-express cards can run 16X per lane and there are pci express 16X 2.0 version mobos. I don't remember all the terms correctly, however hopefully those answer some of your questions.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.