Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Looking for advice on GPU upgrading

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Could anyone offer some advice on what would be the better option for upgrading my GPU?

PC Specs:

• Asus Mobo: CG8350
    • Radeon HD 6700 series X2 (not bridged) (Used for duel display)(second was a gift)
    • PSU: Thermaltake TR2-600w
    • RAM: 8gb
    • Win7 x64
    • Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

As a long-time AMD user, I would like to try out a Nvidia card. Was looking at this since it was recommend by a friend for Crysis 3 on the higher settings. I do plan on overclocking the Core Clock and Memory Clock using MSI Afterburner. But not sure if it would be better to just connect my two AMDs or if I need to upgrade other parts or if that card is even compatible.

Mostly I plan to play Skyrim, Fallout 3, New Vegas, Crysis 3, and Witcher 2. If anymore info is needed just ask. Thank you.

Troispoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Troispoint

Well you'll certainly be able to run those games with a 640, but you certainly won't be able to run Crysis 3 on high-very high settings at 1080p. But I'm guessing that would be feasible at 720p.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

If you can't spend more money, then you can't spend more money. Personally, I would put in extra money to get at least a 660; nVidia cards that end with *50 or below are not usually recommended. For the most part, those lower numbered cards are not exactly created with high-end games in mind; chances are that you won't be able to play those games at the highest settings (I have actually never played any of those games, so I can't give you any of my own personal experience).

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SoothsayerGB
    Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Get a 760 dude.

Troispoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Troispoint
    EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EXTomar

I always recommend: Make a budget and stick to it. How much money are you willing to spend?

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darkecho117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By VACkillers

Get a GTX 760.. period... forget the 660s all together as couple others mentioned, its just simply not worth getting any 660s when the 760s are better, and cheaper... That overclocked 760 is quite good, although the MSI has a much better overclock for the same price as that one, but really it depends on what you personally want, you dont need to get a 760 that costs 259, a regular box standard 760 that costs $249 will be absolutely fine any gaming while saving you just a tad bit $ at the same time, the frames vs performance difference is neglebable at best anyway with the regular vs overclocked cards, just look at benchmarks to compare...

Here is a regular GTX 760 priced at $249 EVGA

Here is the MSI GTX 760 I was talking about

Troispoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Feel a little bit sneaky here jumping on this thread but i today was listening to the 2nd most recent bombcast when they were talking about GPU upgrades, and realised i too am sat on a gtx 570 (albeit the classified version) and whilst most games run acceptable with all the trimmings turned up at 1080p res (my monitor is a stupid :10 aspect ratio deal with not many resolutions) i'm definitely beginning to notice some slowdown.

Thinking of upgrading a few parts on the build but whilst the others i can muddle through, i have no idea as to where gpus stand at the moment.

Ram - 8gb ddr3 corsair 1333
    Hard drive - ordered a stupid 2 tb caviar green (needs upgrading to at least a black)
    Processor - core i7 950 3.07gH
    GPU - gtx 570 clssified 1280 MB

Hard drive upgrade aside i reckon the processor is good for a while longer - but does anyone have any advice on a good video card switch that will keep things going for a few more years comfortably?

cheers!

Avatar image for detectivespecial
    DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@colourful_hippie said:

Get a 760 dude.

@soothsayergb:

Yeah the 760 pretty much is the best value for the mid-range. It's slightly better than the 660 ti and cost a little less. Look here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=gtx+760&N=-1&isNodeId=1

I recommend the EVGA ones, but you can't go wrong with Gigabyte, Asus and MSI.

As someone who bought a 660 ti last fall, right after they came out, allow me to say...............son of a bitch.

I recommend the MSI overclocked cards. Word on the street is their cooling systems are better and quieter. Mine certainly is.

On my 660 ti.

Son of a bitch.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@detectivespecial: Yeah I got a 660ti around that time too. Oh well, I'm going to cut my losses and go straight for a 770.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omegapirate: It depends on your definition of comfortable. That 570 isn't a lightweight but if you want to comfortably play next gen games (I'm talking 1080p, maybe close to 60 on high-ish settings with low AA then i suggest you go for nothing lower than a 770.

Troispoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Troispoint

@colourful_hippie said:

@omegapirate: It depends on your definition of comfortable. That 570 isn't a lightweight but if you want to comfortably play next gen games (I'm talking 1080p, maybe close to 60 on high-ish settings with low AA then i suggest you go for nothing lower than a 770.

This, but an alternative could be to buy a 760 (about 260$) and eventually upgrade with a 2nd 760 once you have the money. For that price you actually get better performance than a single 780 freaking Titan (here). Just make sure you have a mobo and a power supply that can sustain that though.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SoothsayerGB

Get a 760 dude.

Did that. Done that. Thank you all for the helpful tips.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By colourful_hippie

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.