Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Looking for help is tracking down an old PC car combat game.

gerarddominus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've been driving myself mad trying to recall the name of an old car combat game demo I play on PC back in the 90s, unfortunately I do not recall many details so I am turning to the forum for help.

- It took place inside a prison of some sort. The room were large and have ramps and platforms and such, and the cars all drove through the various rooms, just like twisted metal if it was held inside one large building. It might have been because you and the other a.i. character were all prisoners, I don't exactly recall.

- It had the standard missiles and such for weaponry, though there may have been more.

- When you killed an a.i., or you died, I think the person just respawned and you just got a point for the kill.

- I definitely recall that at the end of the round, or battle, or whatever, a huge wall of lighting closes in from every side of the level and touching it was instant death, you had to reach the center of the prison before a countdown ended I think, or maybe that was just the end of the demo, not sure.

- I think you drive cars but they may also have been motorcycle looking vehicles.

- The contestants were all different colors, so red vehicle, blue vehicle, white vehicle, etc...

- I think it was first person, but it may well have been third person.

- I know it's not any of the usual suspects like Quarantine or Deathtrack. There was zero racing involved as I recall, it was strictly vehicle combat like twisted metal.

Any help anyone can offer would be really appreciated.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Carmageddon is the only game that comes to mind, but I'm not sure that's your game.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#3  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Sounds like Zipper interactive's debut game Deathdrome. Been trying to get that working natively on modern systems for years without success.

Loading Video...

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@fisk0: you're pretty good! I've never heard of this game and I was PC sleuthing during those years. Looks cool for the time.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#5  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@humanity: I was one of the crazies who kept bugging Zipper for a Deathdrome II until Sony shut them down a couple of years ago. I'm really fond of PC vehicular combat games of that era.

Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
    NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This is probably not the game your looking for, but this is the perfect excuse for me to post this. Interstate '82 was a amazing game.

Loading Video...
    SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#7  Edited By SubwayD
    Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@fisk0: I remember the first time I booted up the Carmageddon demo on my new 233 mhz pc (upgraded from a 66mhz) I was just blown away by the scale, gameplay and speed of it all. Interstate, Quarantine, Descent, Forsaken - those were some crazy games back then. I probably wouldn't want to go back to them, but I remember them fondly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.