Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Looking for PC games for the wife.

baltimore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By baltimore

My wife loves the Sims, but she also loves SimCity, Age of Empires and Children of the Nile. In short, she like to play God.

So my question to you all is what pc games could we pick up that she might like? At this point she is sick of the Sims thanks to all the changes that EA has made to the series and we are looking for something to hold us over until SimCity 4 comes out. Don't worry about specs as her current laptop is plenty powerful to run just about anything.

Additional: I have already introduced her to the Civ 5 and other Civ games. She did not like them. She wants all control all the time.

Thanks so much,

Baltimore

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By musubi

Civ 5 seems like it would be right up her alley. I would give that a go.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By EarlessShrimp

@Demoskinos said:

Civ 5 seems like it would be right up her alley. I would give that a go.

plus what with the Gods and what-have-you expansion that looks FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC coming out, that's not a bad choice at all!

She likes playing god, you say? Why not one of the Black and White games? Then, she can actually play a God!

baltimore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By baltimore

@Demoskinos: I thought the same thing, but it turns out that she hates the Civ games. What he can't stand is is the 'turn based' strategy of it. She wants all control all the time.

longish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By longish

Rollercoaster Tycoon. Yeah, it's pretty old but c'mon, making rollercoasters never gets old.

Trillian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Trillian

Could always go for Black and White 2 I guess.

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By doobie

game dev story if she has a smart phone

jon_e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jon_e

If she likes the sim aspects she might like the Cute Knight games from http://www.hanakogames.com/ckk.shtml. If she doesn't mind a lot of reading there is this game about your first year in a magical school: http://www.academagia.com/. This one is pretty cool, the conceit is that you are a screw-up and you have to repeat your high school career until you get it right: http://www.shira-oka.com/.

As for god games, that's harder. I'll be watching this thread to see if there are any cool ones I've missed.

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Nentisys

I would recommend checking out Black and White.

Has she tried any space 4x games? Like Endless Space, Master of Orion etc? They are turn based but they are really the ultimate god simulations.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By Dagbiker

In before cooking mama

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By RobotHamster

Amnesia

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SmilingPig

My girlfriend loves the Nancy Drew serie and the Sherlock Holms.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Ravenlight

@Baltimore:

I'm not sure if your wife would be into it, but based on what you've posted, maybe try Starcraft. You should be able to pick up From Dust for cheap, too. That might be up her alley.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By JasonR86

No offense to the OP but I fucking hate threads like this. Just give her the resources to research games, or have her come in here and ask, or something. But asking for her just seems real...I don't know the right word but it bugs me.

mitchell486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mitchell486

Apple Core! Baltimore! Who's your friend?? MEE!!!

With that. If she doesn't like the turn based, CIV will never be a good fit for her. That is a thinking/patience game. Not a "action while I'm in control" game. For that I would suggest Black and White like they said. Also. R.U.S.E. seems cheap ($20) and it seems to be quick, easy to use. I've never played it but looking online seems to be a decent fit.

Uh I used to play Dune and Dune 2000 I think it was. That was a great one. Red Alert was a series I used to play which is another old but good one that was RTS/Action Strategy. I remember Dune 2000 I think being the better of the two as far as fun/ease when I was younger. Might give those a try if you can find them cheap. eBay? Dunno if you could even find those old ones anymore but I remember sinking a lot of hours into Dune.

mitchell486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mitchell486

Holy shit. After looking, it turns out Dune 2000 is really hard to come by for under $100? Ha so. I'd recommend downloading a torrent of it or something or asking if a friend still has a copy somewhere or something. I recently threw mine out when I moved I believe (last month...) or I would ship it to you. I'll look at some point and see if I can't find it in our moving boxes to see if I still have it. Might be able to ship it to ya if I do.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By butano

Rise of Nations is a little older now, but a fantastic game if she liked Age of Empires.

BoS_Tobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BoS_Tobe

@Butano: Yeah I agree. Rise of Nations was an awesome game. Plus I think they also made Rise of Legends. I only played Nations but that game was fun to play with all the different types of game modes.

weirdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By weirdo

Cooking with Mama :)

Mitch0712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By Mitch0712

@Baltimore: From Dust is a great god game. Get her that, me and my gf are always trying to beat that game.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By Justin258

I don't know why I'm suggesting this but Dragon Age Origins played in an isometric viewpoint. Yes, I know, doesn't exactly fit what she wants, but eh.

@Baltimore said:

@Demoskinos: I thought the same thing, but it turns out that she hates the Civ games. What he can't stand is is the 'turn based' strategy of it. She wants all control all the time.

Did she give it more than ten minutes? It always annoys me when someone plays something a little different and declares a dislike for it after only a very short amount of time.

Anyway, is From Dust on PC? It seems like a god game of sorts. Other than Civ, SimCity, and Black and White, I can't think of anything else.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Aronman789
    bellmont42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By bellmont42
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@JasonR86 said:

No offense to the OP but I fucking hate threads like this. Just give her the resources to research games, or have her come in here and ask, or something. But asking for her just seems real...I don't know the right word but it bugs me.

So don't post in them. This site is for the discussion of games, for some people that means more than just circlejerking. Try to be helpful rather than rude.

@Baltimore: If she likes to play god:-

The last two are old and DOS games, but I think you can get them on GOG.com.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JasonR86

@SeriouslyNow said:

@JasonR86 said:

So don't post in them. This site is for the discussion of games, for some people that means more than just circlejerking. Try to be helpful rather than rude.

@Baltimore: If she likes to play god:-

The last two are old and DOS games, but I think you can get them on GOG.com.

Rude is all I can be. Plus these threads remind me of the "what games are right for my child?" threads. They talk about the other person (most often 'wife' or 'girlfriend') as 'less than'. It isn't outwardly disrespectful but it straddles a fine line.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@JasonR86: ... I won't bother in future, don't worry.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JasonR86

@SeriouslyNow said:

@JasonR86: ... I won't bother in future, don't worry.

Whew.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.