Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Looking to buy Laptop, need help Please. Also, Mac vs. PC?

NeonBlackJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By NeonBlackJack
    Hey Everyone, 

I'm a college student, and I've realized that it would be highly beneficial in this day and age to modernize my work platform. I'm an avid PC Gamer, and built a great gaming rig a year ago that is running Vista and takes care of all my power multimedia requirements such as gaming, music and video. However, it's a desktop and about as far from portable as you can get. What I'm really looking for is a Laptop that I can carry around to all my classes, take notes, do my work, use the internet and have some fun while I'm at it. My school offers discounts from Apple and Dell, so those are the companies I'm mainly considering. I've been a straight PC man my whole life, and have even had some harsh words for Apple in the past. However, the slick Macbook update has caught my eye, and I do a lot of music recording and multimedia editing, which I feel Apple may have superior applications for. Also, I like the idea of being able to dual-boot Vista and Leopard on an Apple computer, so that I can use the best of both worlds. 

Here are the three Laptops that I've priced out, based on different desires/price breakdowns: 

Dell Studio 15" 
    -Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5850 (2.16GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache) 
    -Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1 
    -2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 (I'll buy another 2 gigs from Newegg for 30 bucks or so) 
    -256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450 -250GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM) 
    -8X Slot Load CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive) 
    -Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™ Advanced HD Software Edition 
    -Hi Resolution, glossy widescreen 15.4 LCD (1920x1200) w/ 2.0M pixel Camera 
    -2Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis w/Accidental Damage Prot. 
    -All for $1,318.47 w/Tax 

Apple Macbook 13" 
    -Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz 
    -2GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM (Once again, I'll buy another 2 gigs from Newegg. I can do that for a mac, right?) 
    -250GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm 
    -SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW) 
    -Nvidia 9400M Graphics Chipset 
    -Applecare Protection Plan 
    -All for $1,799.74 w/Tax 

Apple Macbook Pro 15" 
    -2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 
    -2GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x1GB (Once again, Newegg) 
    -250GB Serial ATA @ 7200 
    -SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW) 
    -Nvidia 9400M Chipset w/ Nvidia 9600M GT 256MB GPU 
    -Applecare Protection Plan 
    -All for $2,335.81 w/Tax 

Clearly these are of slightly different classes. I'm considering the Macbook Pro because of its potential to game and its increased processing power for Music/Video editing and recording, as well as the increased power for dual-booting Vista and running games on that. I mostly do Music recording and editing though, so would the regular Macbook have enough power for that? The main question though is the Dell vs. the Macbook. The Dell is cheaper, but will I have a better experience/performance on the Macbook? Also, if anyone knows of other PC builders where I can get a better deal/more customization than the dell, I'd love to know about them. Thanks for reading the post, and thanks for any opinions/advice you can give. 

Thanks again, 
    Jack
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

I'm a PC, and I've been made into a stereotype.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Emilio
    Levio91 said:
    "Alienware.com"
    Wrong.
    NeonBlackJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NeonBlackJack

Ha, don't get me wrong, TooWalrus.  I'm completely aware of the stereotypes of both PCs and Macs, and I actually do love PCs.  I'm on one right now, and it's a hand-built labor of love. But it's big...

Avatar image for imayellowfellow
    imayellowfellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By imayellowfellow

lenovo lets u customize ur laptops pretty nicely and their non thinkpad laptops are pretty aesthetically pleasing

NeonBlackJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NeonBlackJack

Yea, Alienware offers a lot of customization, but it's a little high-end and expensive for what I'm looking for.  I already have a gaming powerhouse desktop.

NeonBlackJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NeonBlackJack

People on another forum turned me onto Netbooks.  They look like they may be exactly what I'm looking for.  The more I read about them the better they sound.  I may hold out until 09 for an Asus Eee pc with Windows 7 on it.  Exciting

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By keyhunter

Dude, get a dell.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By shadows_kill

mac. cause pc is stupid in the commercials

NeonBlackJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NeonBlackJack

Ha, you're all so helpful...

Everybody's a comedian....
    TiTaNsFaN690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By TiTaNsFaN690

Everyone has a Macbook in (my) college, other than the occasional Dell XPS standout. Interestingly I rarely see any Macbook Airs floating around, you'd think they'd be popular for the sheer sleak factor. For conveniance and accesibility alone (plus cool factor I guess) I would definitley suggest a Macbook, esp. since you say you already have a gaming quality desktop.

As for me I don't carry a laptop to class, I hate the idea of lugging something around like that (I'm rather anti-backpack)

Anyway hope that helped a little lol.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By keyhunter

Mac's are for jerks.

NeonBlackJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NeonBlackJack

Yea, Titansfan, that actually is helpful.  A lot of people have Macbooks here, though not the new ones so much.  I have never seen anybody with a Macbook Air anywhere. I think it was a bit of a misstep for Apple.  I'm a backpack minimalist, but a laptop fits in a minimal backpack, so it's good for me.  Plus I hate writing notes by hand, and I'm about 20 times faster at typing than writing.  

Gah, so hard to make up my mind.
    Netbook = minimalist ultra-portability with very low power but should do everything I need
    Macbook = sleek, fast, does a ton, definitely works
    Macbook Pro = portable multimedia powerhouse, maybe more than I need.  Definitely a little out of budget, but I'm getting help as a gift.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By oldschool

CAUTION:  The following post is presented by a Mac user, therefore, all comments should be judged accordingly :)

I just received a Macbook that you are referring to.  It is only one week old and to my luck, I received it for free as a work incentive.  I would have bought one anyway, as I run an iMac and love it.  I use a PC at work and am not a fan of Windows.  I do run Windows on my Mac, but only to run strategy games, like Spore and Civilisation IV.  I was even more impressed with the Macbook than I thought that I would be.

The way I see it, if you are not in to high end laptop gaming, then the Mac offers the best of both worlds - at a price of course.  You get the simplicity and reliability that is a Mac, plus the ability to run Windows when you want it.  That is a big selling point, Mac or PC fanboy aside.  I doubt that you would be unhappy if you went for the Mac, but on the other hand, I believe that you will continue to question your decision if you went PC.

Good luck with your dilemma :)
    NeonBlackJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NeonBlackJack
    I'm thinking that since I really only have a few weeks left in this semester, maybe it would be wise for me to hold off on my laptop purchase, and see where things stand closer to next semester. After the holidays and whatnot. I don't return to campus until the end of January, so I can see what kinds of new Netbooks drop after the holidays and decide my purchase for next semester.  Maybe there will even be a price change on the Macbooks? Does that sound like a sound tactic?
    TiTaNsFaN690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By TiTaNsFaN690
    NeonBlackJack said:
    "I'm thinking that since I really only have a few weeks left in this semester, maybe it would be wise for me to hold off on my laptop purchase, and see where things stand closer to next semester. After the holidays and whatnot. I don't return to campus until the end of January, so I can see what kinds of new Netbooks drop after the holidays and decide my purchase for next semester.  Maybe there will even be a price change on the Macbooks? Does that sound like a sound tactic?"
    Makes sense, you can check out some rumor mills and see if Apple is releasing any hardware updates during or after the Holiday season also...

But on that note you will be missing out on any potential black Friday deals, so keep that in mind.

Happy Shopping!
    ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#18  Edited By ManMadeGod
    NeonBlackJack said:
    "People on another forum turned me onto Netbooks.  They look like they may be exactly what I'm looking for.  The more I read about them the better they sound.  I may hold out until 09 for an Asus Eee pc with Windows 7 on it.  Exciting"
    I wouldn't hold my breath for Windows 7 in 2009.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.