Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Looking to buy new graphic card

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Dimi3je

I have a 270 euros budget to buy a new graphic card. My monitor has a diagonal of 21.5 inch (1920x1080). Which card would you recommend?

HertoDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By HertoDan

I would recommend to look for GeForce GTX660Ti or add 20-30 euros and buy GeForce GTX670.

-Dan http://greenavis.com/

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The GTX660Ti has crossed my mind. How do you think GTX670 stacks up against Readon 7950 HD (these 3 are my main contenders)?

sionweeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The 660Ti or 670 are both fantastic choices

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By ajamafalous

@hertodan said:

I would recommend to look for GeForce GTX660Ti or add 20-30 euros and buy GeForce GTX670.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Nivash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dimi3je said:

The GTX660Ti has crossed my mind. How do you think GTX670 stacks up against Readon 7950 HD (these 3 are my main contenders)?

They are roughly equal, with a slight edge for 670 in most games (nothing major, a few FPS or so) but the 7950 has some more VRAM that's useful, mostly at resolutions above 1080p (which is what you're using) and for some other calculation heavy stuff like anti-aliasing and It's also slightly cheaper. Realistically though the difference is small enough that optimization will account for most real-life differences: for instance, BF3 is much better optimized for Nvidia cards and gives them quite a few fps more on average (even though both the 670 and the 7950 can max it out at above 60 FPS) while the role is completely reversed in Metro 2033 where the 7950 outperforms the 670.

If both of the new generations running on AMD hardware means that multiplatform games will be more optimized for AMD cards in the future is anyone's guess at this point, but it's obviously a possibility.

I just bought a Radeon 7950, Vapor X Boost version, for €290 (in Swedish prices) and have been very satisfied with it so for. It also turned out to be extremely easy and safe to overclock which certainly has been a nice bonus, and it's beyond quite. Unless I'm maxing it out I can't hear it at all, unless I literally put my ear next to the case,

I planned on getting an EVGA 670 for the same price but missed the sale by a day, after which it shot back up above €350. Really though, you can't go wrong with either.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@hertodan said:

I don't know what the computer situation is in Europe, but if a 660Ti costs 270 euros, you guys are getting fucked.

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the info guys! I'm starting to gravitate towards Radeon 7950. The extra VRAM seem useful, especially because I often run Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and Indesign at the same time when I am working. I'll give it some more thought before the purchase.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@hertodan said:

I came into this thread wanting to recommend these before I even knew what your budget was, so there we go.

andmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Save some more and grab the 7970 and you're set for the next generation :)

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Save a little extra and go for the GTX 770.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By OldManLight

i like my 7770 but with as high as your budget is, i'd say go at least with the 660 ti or higher.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HD7950 is good, get one with a good cooler and they supposedly overclock pretty well too. I have a reference and can overclock pretty decently, but no where near as high as i've read

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Karkarov

@ch3burashka said:

@hertodan said:

I don't know what the computer situation is in Europe, but if a 660Ti costs 270 euros, you guys are getting fucked.

Yeap. When I was in europe last year I almost shit a brick. Went into what passed for an electronics store in Europe and the prices were freaking insane. I remember seeing a 670, doing the euro conversion, then realizing I could have just about bought a 690 for the same price in the US and had change left over.

Either way on topic, if you can go for the 670. The thing is a beast and it will do very well on just about everything. I even get high 40's to 50's on my modded to holy hell skyrim with an ENB running using it. I was also able to get over 50 fps with Farcry 3 at max. If you care about MMO's I was also getting high 50's to 60's in the recent final fantasy 14 closed beta, even with 50 cat girls somersaulting their butts in my face 24/7.

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Wemibelle

Make sure your case is large enough to fit these cards. I had planned to get a 7770 last year, but I learned that it was 11 inches long (!) and couldn't have possibly fit it into my case. The 660 I got is pretty long too; it barely fit.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@dgtlty said:

Save a little extra and go for the GTX 770.

That's what I'm using in my new build.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

If you didn't buy a card already... get a 7 series nvidia card, absolutely no point getting 6 series if the 760/770 are cheaper then their 6 series counter parts...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.