Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Looking to get a new graphics card

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Chocobodude3

Any recommendations?(one that's not to expensive)

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Brendan

The new Nvidia 970 on the Maxwell architecture looks like its your best pick if you're willing to spend $350 or so.

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yep 970 is gonna be a monster steal.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Gotta pick up the 970. It is the best performance per dollar value on the market.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Since we're all here already, I just want to ask: About how long until the inevitable 960 comes out? I usually only spend about $250 on a graphics card.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By hassun

Probably not too long now. This generation of Nvidia cards is an intermediary one. Small gains, increased efficiency and same architecture. Actual brand new designs will probably come later next year.

If you can wait a while longer you can check to see how AMD responds and how prices are adjusted to make room for the new 980 and 970.

Some cards are going to drop in price so what used to be out of your price range might actually be in your price range very soon.

kylenalepa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@myketuna said:

Since we're all here already, I just want to ask: About how long until the inevitable 960 comes out? I usually only spend about $250 on a graphics card.

Reports I saw said the GTX 960 would be in October.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The 970 looks sweet. Incredible performance while using close to half the power of current middle-high end cards.

I'm thinking of selling my 7950 for cheap and upgrading to the 970, just for the power draw/heat difference.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@hassun said:

Probably not too long now. This generation of Nvidia cards is an intermediary one. Small gains, increased efficiency and same architecture. Actual brand new designs will probably come later next year.

If you can wait a while longer you can check to see how AMD responds and how prices are adjusted to make room for the new 980 and 970.

Some cards are going to drop in price so what used to be out of your price range might actually be in your price range very soon.

I'm down with that. I'll just wait some more for the newer stuff. I have a 570 right now that chugs along quite well playing stuff at 1080p. Another year is fine by me.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By mike

I'll throw in support for the GTX 970 - also looks like the Asus version (my preferred vendor for GPUs) easily overclocks 15%. That is...nuts. Add in the much lower TDP, which I can't even wrap my mind around because the current Asus GTX 780 comes in at 250w TDP and runs so cool and quiet, I didn't think it needed to (or could) get that much better.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.