Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Mac question :S

random07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Please don't crucify me for this guys. I got a question but didn't know were to post it, so my friend has a MacBook and wanted to know what kinda RAM she needs? im just helping her out, but came to the realization that i know diddly squat about mac.

This are her specs:

Nombre del modelo: MacBook

Identificador del modelo: MacBook3,1

Nombre del procesador: Intel Core 2 Duo

Velocidad del procesador: 2 GHz

Número de procesadores: 1

Número total de núcleos: 2

Caché de nivel 2: 4 MB

Memoria: 1 GB

Velocidad del bus: 800 MHz

Versión de la ROM de arranque: MB31.008E.B02

Versión SMC (sistema): 1.24f3

Número de serie (sistema): W88036ZSZ62

UUID de hardware: 572383FE-2E3E-5441-B059-0F98402FDC61

Sudden Motion Sensor:

Estado: Activado

Will this work on that machine.

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Modules-1066MHz-KTA-MB1066K2-4GR/dp/B001RUI3Q0/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1366962744&sr=1-3&keywords=ram+mac

feel free to ignore me if i'm way out of line with this.

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Try to look at iFixit. It has all the information there.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+MacBook+Core+2+Duo+RAM/512/1

Judging from the picture of the PC2 RAM from the iFixit site, your Kingston PC3 RAM will not fit. As the cut-out in the modules seem to be off. Better look for PC2 RAM. -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Laptop_SODIMM_DDR_Memory_Comparison_V2.svg

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By audiosnow
    Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Can't you just take it to an Apple store? Isn't that what those are for? Not trying to be rude, but I thought that's what they had those stores for. Because the people that use Apple products don't want to be bothered with upgrading their ram, they have techs in those stores to do it for them.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@jams said:

Can't you just take it to an Apple store? Isn't that what those are for? Not trying to be rude, but I thought that's what they had those stores for. Because the people that use Apple products don't want to be bothered with upgrading their ram, they have techs in those stores to do it for them.

So you can pay the ridiculous markup? No, you buy a Mac cause you want to run the OS not because you want to spend double on upgrading stuff yourself when needed.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EXTomar

When I use "About This Mac" there is a tab for Memory and this tab has a description of what is installed and a link to "installation instructions" off of apple.com.

If you have an Apple Store near by you can take it into the store and ask for the information along with actually doing it for you. It isn't unreasonable to use the Apple Store because this is why they set them up.

Edit: Here is the link on apple.com.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jams said:

You're joking right?

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ben_h said:

@jams said:

You're joking right?

About what?

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ben_H

@jams said:

@ben_h said:

@jams said:

You're joking right?

About what?

About the blatantly obvious stereotype in your post.

Just because someone uses a Mac doesn't mean they like throwing around money, especially on trivial upgrades like this. Changing RAM in any of the older Macs is exactly the same as any other laptop. Why would you pay someone to do that? It takes like 1 minute.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ben_h said:

@jams said:

@ben_h said:

@jams said:

You're joking right?

About what?

Just because someone uses a Mac doesn't mean they like throwing around money, especially on trivial upgrades like this. Changing RAM in any of the older Macs is exactly the same as any other laptop. Why would you pay someone to do that? It takes like 1 minute.

You caught that huh? :D

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ben_h said:

@jams said:

@ben_h said:

@jams said:

You're joking right?

About what?

Because my time and their time might be more valuable doing something other than installing hardware. This is like people who complain that people who go to Jiffy Lube to change their oil instead of doing it themselves. It is cheap and easy to do it yourself but if one doesn't care then paying someone else to do it is fine.

thebolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@random07: When I upgraded my RAM in my macbook...I just called my local apple store and told them the specs and they let me know. There is a maximum you can upgrade to though, so make sure you ALSO get that info. If you macbook will only take a max of two 2GB sticks...don't go out and buy 4GB. Won't work.

thebolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jams said:

Just throwing this out there....I built my PC and do all my own upgrading on my Macbook. The people who purchase Apple products may be a little more diverse than you think. Plus it isn't like someone who uses Windows doesn't have someone else upgrade their RAM...like how I have to upgrade the RAM for all my damn friends when they want a boost because they don't know how to do it and don't have the time or energy to learn. For every person building a beast PC there is a Grandma buying a $300 piece of crap laptop so she can write emails and skype with her grand kids.

Plus ya know...this...

http://content.microsoftstore.com/Home.aspx

Black rimmed hipster glasses and everything!

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jams said:

@ben_h said:

@jams said:

@ben_h said:
    @jams said:

You're joking right?

About what?

You caught that huh? :D

Yeah I did. I understand what you mean by the stereotype you posted (I mean, we all know those dippy people at university or wherever that use Macs and have those stupid keyboard covers and cases and don't actually use any of the features of OSX, but just have a Mac as a fashion statement when a netbook would have sufficed since 95% of their computer usage is strictly Facebook. I would be terrified if they offered to swap parts in my Mac), but not all Mac users are like that, but there are also a lot of people who don't use Macs who also fit that stereotype with their computer usage (like the girl who sat in front of me in one of my classes who kept all her usernames and passwords for shopping sites on those sticky notes that you can stick to the desktop in Windows 7. That broke my brain). I have a lot of practical uses for mine since at my school we are required to use a few Unix-related things (which OSX handily is based off of) for some of the computer science classes. Almost every comp sci prof I have had uses a Mac of some type because they are convenient for this type of work, unless you need to use Visual Studio or the like (which then you just use Bootcamp or Parallels).

random07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks guy, you really helped me out : )

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.