Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

MacBook for Gaming.

Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Peach

How does the MacBook measure in the video game market right now? I was simply wondering how well it runs windows games (Steam games) emulated (VirtualMachine or an emulator) and non-emulated (Having windows installed parallel-y). Overall, is the MacBook a better choice for a (very) occasional weekend gamer who is a hard-core student, or would a Windows machine still better?
    Thanks for your opinion.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

If you've got the spare cash to get a MacBook that can match the gaming power of a PC for much less, than go for it, it will be fine, as long as you're clever.

Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Peach
    TooWalrus said:
    "If you've got the spare cash to get a MacBook that can match the gaming power of a PC for much less, than go for it, it will be fine, as long as you're clever."
    But isn't that extra cash worth it? I've heard that OSX is a very nice OS for work-related things.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By oldschool

I have an entry level Macbook, with 4Gb of RAM.  I play RTS games on it (booted on Windows), so I don't about anything above that.  Civilisation IV runs on my fine and that makes me happy.  My kids also play Viva Pinata on it and it runs fine.  The settings may be need to be lowered on some games to get a smooth operation.

So, it depends on what you like to play.  Otherwise, as a Mac user, I would never recommend anything else.  It is the best of both worlds.  Your own situation will dictate your decision (price and needs).
    tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By tmthomsen

Can't see why a Mac should be better than a Windows machine for studying?

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By mikemcn

Mac can run COD4 fairly well ive heard but if you really want a computer for gaming you have to go PC. Emulated windows is crummy for games There's more support, more companys produce hardware for it and it has a larger gaming audience. Also although you cant beat a mac for school work and such a mid level gaming PC should perform just as well.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oldschool
    Tarsier said:
    "don't ever use a mac for gaming. "
    That is just plain ignorant.  Where did you get that idea?  My iMac will run almost all of the current Windows games available.  A lot of people with a PC can't run all of the games available unless they upgrade.

TMThomsen said:
    "Can't see why a Mac should be better than a Windows machine for studying?"
    It isn't.  It is, in my opinion, having used both, easier and less trouble.  By running Windows, you get the best of both worlds.  My daughter is in college and uses the Mac for most things (like Photoshop and Office Mac programs) and Windows only when she has to.

Mikemcn said:
    "Mac can run COD4 fairly well ive heard but if you really want a computer for gaming you have to go PC. Emulated windows is crummy for games There's more support, more companys produce hardware for it and it has a larger gaming audience. Also although you cant beat a mac for school work and such a mid level gaming PC should perform just as well. "
    True, if you are a REAL hardcore gamer, then PC is always you best bet.  If your like playing games, but aren't hardcore and just play games as a diversion, for fun, the Mac is (imo) better.  I have yet to find a game I really want to play, but can't.

Windows is NOT EMULATED on my Mac.  It is running as a seperate and independent program on my partitioned hard drive.  Emulating was something of the past.  With Intel based Macs, all of them now, you simply use bootcamp to partition the hard drive and install a full and complete Windows.  It will run any Windows program.
    Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Peach
    TMThomsen said:
    Well... As far as I know you get waay more battery life on a Mac running OSX than any Windows-equivalent machine running Windows. Also it's a sleeker, more responsive, more reliable machine that I would much more prefer for academics than a Windows machine.
    Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Otacon

Don't use Macs for gaming, even if the specs allow gaming, the games are never written for OSX so run worse any way. I love using macs but then again I'm not a PC gamer.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By oldschool
    Otacon said:
    "Don't use Macs for gaming, even if the specs allow gaming, the games are never written for OSX so run worse any way. I love using macs but then again I'm not a PC gamer."
    But, they are not running on OSX, they are running on Windows, so within the limitation of the video and soud card, play as they would on PC.  If you are talking SPore, that will run on OSX and Windows, then I have no view as I don't own it.  Not that many games do run on both, usually one or the other.

Now, I need to get back to playing Sins of a Solar Empire on my iMac - it is excellent :-)
    tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tmthomsen
    Peach said:
    "TMThomsen said:
    Well... As far as I know you get waay more battery life on a Mac running OSX than any Windows-equivalent machine running Windows. Also it's a sleeker, more responsive, more reliable machine that I would much more prefer for academics than a Windows machine."
    Battery power varies for every laptop and has more to do with the hardware than the OS.
    Sleeker and more responsive? As far as I've seen Windows XP is still the fastest and most responsive OS, but the downside is that you have to know how to maintain it. Mac OS is more casual friendly in that respect.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By mikemcn

So now you don't have to emulate windows on a mac. Darn, now i want one

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By toowalrus
    Mikemcn said:
    "So now you don't have to emulate windows on a mac. Darn, now i want one"
    I want one too. It's not really in my budget, gimme a few... years.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By ZenaxPure

Honestly I don't know how strong MACs get but I know for pure gaming purposes they can be a bit expensive compared to a PC. Speaking from a personal experience - my room mate payed $1000 for his iMac used (was $1400 new) near the end of last year and I just recently purchased a cheap PC for ~$470 prebuilt (I'm lazy) with no OS (but lets be honest, that is not a big deal). We both play World of Warcraft now on the same video settings and my machine runs the game about twice as good as his. I'm not sure on his exact specs but I know for a fact I have a better video card and double the RAM.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Systech

If you seriously want to play games on a computer, a Mac definitely isn't the way to go.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheMustacheHero

I currently have an iMac but I'm running windows on it for my games, and I use the mac side for work :D

PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PowerSerj

Go pick up a cheap Windows-based laptop for about half to two-thirds the price for more power.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By oldschool
    systech said:
    "If you seriously want to play games on a computer, a Mac definitely isn't the way to go. "
    This.

You buy a Mac for many other good reasons.  You can still many games on it, but that is a bonus, not a prime reason.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TwoOneFive

I have a new macbook pro, very nice, and i run run windows on it using bootcamp and the most demanding game i've played on it was far cry 2, and it ran quite well actually. 

Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Peach
    PowerSerj said:
    "Go pick up a cheap Windows-based laptop for about half to two-thirds the price for more power."
    Somehow I doubt a 350 dollar laptop is as powerful as a MacBook.
    PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PowerSerj
    Peach said:
    "PowerSerj said:
    "Go pick up a cheap Windows-based laptop for about half to two-thirds the price for more power."
    Somehow I doubt a 350 dollar laptop is as powerful as a MacBook. "
    Where are you finding a 700$ MacBook :/ ?
    BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22  Edited By BawlZINmotion

I love Apple products and OSX is real nice, but unless you really need a portable gaming machine I would rock a Windows based desktop. Otherwise you're just pissing away money.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Otacon
    oldschool said:
    "Otacon said:
    "Don't use Macs for gaming, even if the specs allow gaming, the games are never written for OSX so run worse any way. I love using macs but then again I'm not a PC gamer."
    But, they are not running on OSX, they are running on Windows, so within the limitation of the video and soud card, play as they would on PC.  If you are talking SPore, that will run on OSX and Windows, then I have no view as I don't own it.  Not that many games do run on both, usually one or the other.

Now, I need to get back to playing Sins of a Solar Empire on my iMac - it is excellent :-)
    "
    Very true, biggest drawback is the fact that nothing is upgradable save for RAM, unless of course you get a Mac Pro.
    Scorched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Scorched

Ok, so here is the thing about Apple.  Just because it costs more doesn't mean its' better.  When you by a mac, you are paying "apple tax".  You could buy a PC twice as good as the Mac Book pro for the same price.
    If you want to game, don't buy a Mac. 

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TwoOneFive
    Peach said:
    "PowerSerj said:
    dude, not even close man. no way. just go look at macbook pro specs on their web site, its really impressive. 
    Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Peach
    PowerSerj said:
    "Peach said:
    "PowerSerj said:
    Where are you finding a 700$ MacBook :/ ?"
    (1000 * 2/3= 333.33) I rounded to 350, but you get the point.
    trav3ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By trav3ler
    Peach said:
    "PowerSerj said:
    "Peach said:
    "PowerSerj said:
    (1000 * 2/3= 333.33) I rounded to 350, but you get the point."
    Math fail.  1000 * 2/3 = 666.66 dollars, not 333.33.

As far as Mac: it's great for everything, I love them, but I'm too poor to be able to afford one powerful enough to game on.  With a PC I can get as much power for a lot cheaper.
    Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Peach
    trav3ler said:
    "Peach said:
    "PowerSerj said:
    "Peach said:
    "PowerSerj said:
    (1000 * 2/3= 333.33) I rounded to 350, but you get the point."
    Math fail.  1000 * 2/3 = 666.66 dollars, not 333.33.

As far as Mac: it's great for everything, I love them, but I'm too poor to be able to afford one powerful enough to game on.  With a PC I can get as much power for a lot cheaper.
    "
    Ooops. I multiplied 1000 by 1/3. My bad.

Sorry for my apparent miscalculations.
    Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By Mushir

The new Macbook's cn handle most games. But if your a HARDCORE PC gamer then you might wanna get a PC.

Avatar image for the_warp--defunct
    The_Warp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By The_Warp

Take it from someone who's been shopping for laptops for gaming lately.  I just spent a little less than 2k on one.  If you want to be able to run everything fairly well, a mac is completely out of the question.  I wanted one, but soon realized along the way that the graphics and memory that they offer is comparatively lackluster at best, side by side, cost by cost.  You'll often hear people talk about how you're really paying for the award winning customer support and the superior OS, honestly vista 64 runs my shit fine, and as for sleekness, my sager is going to look cooler than any silly sterile white macbook anyway.  If you don't believe me just look at some of the specs below and try and find me something comparable on a mac notebook for less than 2k.  You won't be able to, but go ahead.  FYI I bought this on xoticpc.

1x Sager NP5797 Custom Notebook (Built on Clevo M570ETU)
    - Warranty: 3 Year Labor* 1 Year Parts Warra
     - Operating System: None Standard - Drivers & Utility
      - Fingerprint Reader: Integrated Fingerprint Reader
      - Battery: Smart Li-ion Battery (8-Cell)
      - Case: Basic Black Business Case - Incl
      - Sound Card: Sound Blaster Compatible 3D
      - Camera: Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
      - Wireless Network: Built-in Intel® PRO/Wireless 530
      - Bluetooth: Internal Bluetooth + EDR
      - Memory Card Reader: Internal 7-in-1 Card Reader (MS/
      - Primary Hard Drive: ~ 320GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 3
      - Optical Drive: ~ 2X Blue-Ray Read/8X DVDRW Supe
      - Exterior Finish: NP579x Orange Frame Trim
      - Ram: ~ 4,096MB DDR3 1066MHz Dual Channel
      - Video Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 280M 1,024MB
      - Processor: ~Intel® P9600 45nm "Montevina" C
      - Dead Pixel Policy: Standard Dead Pixel Policy
      - Arctic Silver: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
      - Display: 17" WSXGA+ "Glare Type" Super Cl

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By Cirdain
    OnLive!
    clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By clarke0

A PC will offer you much more power for far less cash. A Mac is useful for other purposes, but if you care about gaming a PC is your best choice.

Avatar image for canadiantoastzombie
    canadiantoastzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well once onlive comes out macs will be fine for gaming

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I'm honestly suprised that macs can play pc games. I meant you might need to use windows at least on it dual boot considering that osx if that's the operating system it uses isn't compatible with pc games. About the videocard, I heard the highest is a hd4850, not sure if it's for the imac or macbook pro. I'm not really going to recommend a mac for anything to do with gaming, only general computer use.  Imo it's not going to be cheap, expect to pay alot to get a gaming mac product.

oDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By oDawg
    Peach said:
    TooWalrus said: "If you've got the spare cash to get a MacBook that can match the gaming power of a ... [more]
    yeah it is, but the truth is, if you spend a lot of time looking at your OS, you aren't getting much work done... Theres nothing "work related" that is nice about OSX... its nice for changing your active window and launching apps, and for forcing you into using apple products...

Apps exist for both, regardless of what you do...   OSX is so much better than vista its not funny.... but it is also terrible, and I mean terrible, for gaming.

Games -> PC.

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By EvilDingo

Anybody who's looking to game on their Mac but don't feel like dual-booting and giving up a large chunk of your harddisk, should really look into giving the application CrossOver a go. It's fairly cheap and doesn't require Windows installed in any way or form... and it works surprisingly well.

I have a 2 year old MacBook, so the fact that I only have an somewhat weak Intel graphics-card is holding my computer back, but as I understand current MacBooks have better Nvidia gfx-cards, which without a doubt will make things better. On my computer I am able to run Source-based with no problem - Haven't tried Left 4 Dead or anything. I might imagine it being more requiring since it's newer than HL2 and CS:Source. Steam IS fully supported in the latest version of CrossOver, since that is one of the teams priorities.

Personally I've been using it to play games like Civ4, HL2, Sam & Max season 1, Freelancer and Pirates of the Caribbean. Most incompatibilities are actually due to security-checks to the DVD-rom, and if you have a fair idea how to work around those, then you're good to go for the most part.

It is free to try out for 7 days and the trial is full-featured, so you might as well try it out if you already have some PC games lying around... or just give Steam a go :-)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.