Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Macbook Pro as a gaming Laptop(or others)?

Luffytubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Luffytubby

<13’’ Gaming Ultraportable

Hello. I am looking for a;

-        Ultraportable, no bigger than 13’’

-        Good Battery life

-        Good build Quality

-        Good Keyboard(preferably Backlit bling bling)

-        Good gaming performance

My research has led me to these options;

Macbook Pro 13; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QtSw9lM-4s

-        Good Battery life, great display, backlit keyboard, great build quality, little footprint

-        Sort of Heavy and it can get warm due to the Aluminium chassis

-        Still Core 2 Duo, but new Nvidia 320m Graphics

-        OSX means boot camp(rebooting computer) to run most games

-        WoW, Warcraft 3, and a few other games run well in OSX. Will Steam ever run better? Will the support get better optimized?

-        Has poor battery life in Boot Camp under Windows!

Acer Aspire Timeline X 3820;

-        Amazing performance. ATI 5650 and i7 core processor, this baby gets over 7000 in 3dmark 06 with no OC. With OC, some have gotten to almost 10,000 The best ever for a 13’’ Laptop

-        It’s a Acer! Some reviews have complained about the screen, viewing angles, brightness, black levels, floating keyboard(and flexing). Build quality should be great otherwise!

-        No backlit keyboard( -minus 10 e-peen status)

-        No DVD drive!

-        Good OC potential as they put in two fans instead of one!

Alienware M11x; http://www.tested.com/first-look-at-the-alienware-m11x/47-46/

-        11,6’’ Display might be to small to gaming?

-        Powerful 335m graphics(a bit less powerful than the one in Acer 3820)

-        Has i5 and i7, but they are Ultra Low Voltage to save battery life, so they are not CPU screamers. Bottleneck in CPU demanding games?

-        No optical Drive

-        Backlit keyboard! Can customize the colors of the machine! Trackpad and display seems decent!

-        Build quality seems great. Sorta big and heavy for a 11’’ but is supposed to be build like a tank!

-        Talks of around 5 hours of battery life, which is less than MBP13

Anyone got any suggestions?

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Have heard nothing but amazing things from the Alienware M11x. I would go with that for sure.

sarge1445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By sarge1445

m11x got to try one when shopping around and that thing is a god send

apertura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By apertura

I wouldn't suggest using a Mac for gaming. They're great for WoW, but if you want to be doing any other gaming, go with the M11x.

Luffytubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Luffytubby

Ok. I never thought I would buy an Alienware because the price used to be so expenssive. but this one I can actually afford.

apetura - I actually am thinking of going back to WoW when Cataclysm comes, but who knows for how long? And I defintely want to do other gaming as well!

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By VoshiNova

Not gonna lie buddy laptops don't make good gaming machines, I would get the mac book for reliability- and play Tales of Monkey island!

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I wouldn't recommend any mac products for pc gaming at all. It doesn't have the speed or power for the price, go look elsewhere for a more suitable gaming laptop.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By ajamafalous
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

I wouldn't recommend any mac products for pc gaming at all. It doesn't have the speed or power for the price, go look elsewhere for a more suitable gaming laptop.

"
    dragaroo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By dragaroo

The MacBook Pro is a great machine all-around, and I do think that Steam is going to be great for the platform too. TF2 and Portal run decently enough on mine. Now that Valve is with Blizzard and Telltale in doing day-one releases, I'm a happy camper.

If what you want to play is available on the Mac, I'd say go for it. BUT if you're really thinking of using it primarily for gaming, I would hesitate to recommend it.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#10  Edited By zidd
    @HitmanAgent47: Gaming laptops are a joke. Bulky with poor battery life is the antithesis of a good notebook. 

The Macbook is probably the best way to go if you actually want to take it someplace. The Aluminum unibody is incredibly sturdy. and its got a backlit keyboard and great battery life. Steam is getting better with each update. Most people here will say to ignore the Mac and buy something else but at least go try one out at an Apple Store and see for yourself.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Zidd: You must of mistaken me as someone who cares about mac products, lol. I'm a pc gamer, lol macs.
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless the only gaming you want to do on the Mac is through Steam, avoid the Macbook. Not to mention the fact that Apple products are horribly overpriced as well as super closed platforms.

President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Zidd:  Macs just don't have the raw power PCs do for the same price though.
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By zidd
    @HitmanAgent47: I know your type. You are from the XP for life crowd who thinks idle resources = performance.
    gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By gike987
    @Zidd said:
    " @HitmanAgent47: Gaming laptops are a joke. Bulky with poor battery life is the antithesis of a good notebook.  The Macbook is probably the best way to go if you actually want to take it someplace. The Aluminum unibody is incredibly sturdy. and its got a backlit keyboard and great battery life. Steam is getting better with each update. Most people here will say to ignore the Mac and buy something else but at least go try one out at an Apple Store and see for yourself. "
    Maybe he cares about games outside a couple of games on steam.
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By zidd
    @President_Barackbar: The thing about PC manufacturers is that they use older versions of parts to get the price down. If you get 2 laptops with the exact same parts the prices are  actually very similar.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Zidd: XP? I use vista and most of us use windows 7. No, I am the type that cares about power and performance you know, something that's called a good videocard, over asthetics and shiny big icons no one cares about. I wouldn't be caught dead using a macbook pro, unless I want to look fabolus at starbucks with my vegan hip ways. I'm a meat eating normal person who thinks logically and isn't a metrosexual, I can't use a mac.
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By zidd
    @HitmanAgent47: Hes looking for a laptop. If you looking for a laptop you should look for a laptop that you are actually able to take somewhere and be able to use for more than like 40 minutes. a good video card does not equal good performance. its the combination of everything in the computer working together to run applications. Just because you have something against Apple doesn't mean this guy does. Hopefully this guy can filter out the stupid comments and make an informed decision on what laptop best fits his needs. Apple makes the best performing laptops that are portable.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Zidd: Well he still has to use bootcamp for most games for compatibility if he's not using steam. Which means now he's using an overpriced under powered pc with a mac exterior. Osx makes a mac, not the outside, it doesn't work more effciently together, if you played games on steam. Rather everyone gets slowdowns because upgrades are difficult and gpu's are limited to what they can put in there. You really don't know much about performance because you bought into mac's propaganda thinking it's somehow effient and works well together, when in reality playing games shows the the exact opposite.

Okay how about an Alienware M17x to the op then. Has a gtx280, more powerful than anything macs can use. Maybe even a dell studio XPS 16. 

Edit: if you want ultra portable, these are not that good for gaming, maybe the op should go slightly bigger, that's my opinion.
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Zidd:  You mean "hopefully he can ignore any of the sensible posts and listen to me". 47 has it right on, Macs are just not made for gaming. Ask anyone who knows anything about computers and they will tell you Macs are fine for anything EXCEPT gaming. Also, you can't upgrade the parts in a Mac without voiding your warranty as well, so that's something else to think about
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @sodiumCyclops said:
    " Have heard nothing but amazing things from the Alienware M11x. I would go with that for sure. "
    Yeah it looked pretty good to me when Tested reviewed it a while ago. If you're using the computer for gaming first and foremost, go with the Alienware.
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By zidd
    @HitmanAgent47: While boot camp is a must for gaming on a Mac the OP was looking for something portable that is capable of playing games. The Macbook Pro fits the criteria. the M17X on the other hand does not since its a 17" laptop.
    canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By canucks23

If you're in it strictly for gaming i'd say don't go for the mac, but if not the mac is the only way to go.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By gike987
    @Zidd said:

" @HitmanAgent47: While boot camp is a must for gaming on a Mac the OP was looking for something portable that is capable of playing games. The Macbook Pro fits the criteria. the M17X on the other hand does not since its a 17" laptop. "

He specifically said gaming laptop not ""something capable of playing games".  It's a M11x not a M17x.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#25  Edited By AndrewB

The Mac Pro 13" discrete graphics are not up to much gaming or any sort unless you do stick with really old titles. Also, there's no such thing as a gaming notebook with good battery life. Once you load up a game, my full-charge Macbook will suck through the battery in just a couple of hours (when normal usage goes anywhere between 6 and 8). Unless you mean good battery for general usage, in which case yes, the battery in the Macbook is pretty dang good. You're simply going to have to be plugged in if you want to get any realistic amount of gaming done.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By thatfrood

I got a macbook pro for my birthday, I didn't ask for one and probably would have preferred the m11x. I had never owned a mac product before and I don't really intend to start buying them now.
    That being said, every game I've tried to run so far on it runs very well. I can run Crysis on medium with a steady and high framerate. If you want a laptop for gaming and also want it to be lightweight and/or you like macs I guess... the macbook pro isn't a bad choice.
    You would, of course, have to install windows on it.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By zidd
    @gike987: Read the OP again 

and read hitmans post again 

Okay how about an Alienware M17x to the op then. Has a gtx280, more powerful than anything macs can use. Maybe even a dell studio XPS 16.

The M17x is anything but ultraportable.
    gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By gike987
    @Zidd said:

" @gike987: Read the OP again 

and read hitmans post again 

The M17x is anything but ultraportable. "
    I prefer  to read the original post: 

Alienware M11x; http://www.tested.com/first-look-at-the-alienware-m11x/47-46/   

ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By ATrevelan

I have a 4 year old xps m1210 laptop that I used in college. It was never a great gaming laptop (Doom 3 at full settings, no AA, is still a stretch) but it did what I wanted it to do. It got pretty decent battery life for its size and power, but clearly you're looking at newer laptops that are far more powerful and have newer, better batteries. 

My biggest complaints with the machine are that its stuck with Vista and only 1 GB of ram. I'd recommend getting a machine with Windows 7, which in my experience runs much, much, much better than Vista could ever hope to, and make sure you've got plenty of extra RAM. Since you're looking at the M11x, you'd likely be getting it from Dell's website, I imagine. If I were you I'd also splurge and get the beefiest battery upgrade their options allow you to get if portable gaming is a real must for you. If you don't mind bringing the power supply with you wherever you go, like I do when I want to use my laptop, then maybe stick with the standard battery.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By thatfrood
    @AndrewB said:
    " The Mac Pro 13" discrete graphics are not up to much gaming or any sort unless you do stick with really old titles. Also, there's no such thing as a gaming notebook with good battery life. Once you load up a game, my full-charge Macbook will suck through the battery in just a couple of hours (when normal usage goes anywhere between 6 and 8). Unless you mean good battery for general usage, in which case yes, the battery in the Macbook is pretty dang good. You're simply going to have to be plugged in if you want to get any realistic amount of gaming done. "
    What games are you referring to? Again, I manage to play crysis on medium with a 13" pro. I haven't tried it on more recent titles like MW2 or BFBC2 (I don't own em), but I imagine at lower settings it would run fairly smoothly!
    It's true about the battery life, though. After an hour of playing Age of Empires 3, the battery life was 2/3 gone.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.