Mass Effect

#1 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -

I was wondering if I could get some help with a question I have. I am interested in possibly purchasing the first Mass Effect for computer but am unsure if it'll run. I have and Intel Core2Duo 2.80 GHz, 2.0 GB ram, and an ATI Raedon HD 3400 series. I can play games like Half Life 2, Oblivion, Fallout 3 runs(although not at its peak performance) and games like Modern warfare don't run.  

Any help would be awesome thanks!

#2 Posted by threeve (199 posts) -

I am confident that it will work for you.  I played it with an Nvidia 7600 GS and a weaker processor than that.

#3 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -

Cool thanks, It seems like the requirements for the video card for this game and the first Modern Warfare are similar. Although there are so many video cards I can't tell.

#4 Posted by n00bosaurusRex (175 posts) -
@sagesebas:  If fallout 3 is playable then you should be okay, I remember that game being a resource hog.  Don't expect to max out any settings though.  Turning off shadows, AA and bumping down the resolution will give you a increase in framerate (frames per second).

Did you say that Modern Warfare DOESN'T run? I'm suprised, I always thought fallout was more of a resource hog than MW was, being all optimized and such.
#5 Posted by ATrevelan (606 posts) -

Mass Effect uses the Unreal Engine, which a lot of mid-range PC's can still run extremely well. You may have to dial off a few things like self-shadows, though, but overall it should work fine.

#6 Edited by sagesebas (2003 posts) -

Well Modern Warfare runs it just gets really choppy, I can also play the Bioshock demo at about medium which runs well. Other than the specs is it recommended? I am not sure about the Fallout 3 issue maybe I did have programs running in the background while playing Modern Warfare.

#7 Posted by VIGGO123 (552 posts) -
#8 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -

I used that and It said I was fine, I wasn't sure if that was a really reliable website though

#9 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Not as graphically intensive as one might assume. Most of the game takes place in corridors and other enclosed spaces. Not much going on at any given time outside of cities.

#10 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -

You know I think I might get it 

#11 Posted by VIGGO123 (552 posts) -
@sagesebas: It's pretty reliable, I've used it for a lot of games, and the results seems to be quite accurate.
#12 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -

Cool thanks everybody

#13 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

You might have trouble maintaining to getting to 30 frames per second where you will see alot of slowdowns.

#14 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -

It's always nice when you take a small risk and it turns out to be a good choice. The game runs good, and I am floored at how fun and interesting it has been so far.

#15 Posted by VoshiNova (1635 posts) -

Right on man, the PC version of Mass Effect is great- hope you have fun!

#16 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -

Thanks should be a blast

#17 Posted by xyzygy (9870 posts) -
@sagesebas: Have fun with this game. This game changed how I looked at video games, for the better.
#18 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -

So far it has been amazing. I don't get to play to many of the newer games just cause I don't have an XBOX 360 or PS3, but from what I have played so far seems like it'll rank up in my favorite games.

#19 Posted by ATrevelan (606 posts) -
@sagesebas: The first time through Mass Effect was something of a transcendental experience for me. Be happy that they tweaked the combat a little bit on PC, because it's just about the only real sore point. 

But the overall game is so friggin godlike it's easy to look past it.
#20 Posted by Unstoppable (78 posts) -

The sequel runs better than the original, it's just programmed way better. You might want to upgrade your videocard if you can unless you're on a labtop.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.