Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Massive multiplayer game APB to shut down

Chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Chandu83
    LINK 

Massive multiplayer game APB: All Points Bulletin is to close less than three months after it launched.

It took five years to develop the online role-playing game where players fight each other in the virtual dystopia of San Paro.

The game is the latest casualty following the closure of Dundee-based developer Real Time Worlds (RTW), with the loss of 250 jobs.

RTW was founded by Lemmings and Grand Theft Auto creator Dave Jones.

"I truly wish we had the chance to continue to craft APB into the vision we had for it," wrote Mr Jones on APB's official forums.

"It has been a long & difficult journey but ultimately rewarding to have had the chance to try something bold and different.

"I am so sorry it had to end so quickly but hopefully the good memories will stay with us all for a long time."

Real Time Worlds had been heralded as one of the UK's video game success stories.

It was founded in 2002 by Mr Jones after he left Dma Designs (the firm behind the first Grand Theft Auto that went on to become Rockstar North) and recruited many staff from Rage Software after it went bankrupt in 2003.

However, major commercial success eluded the company and the release of APB attracted mixed reviews.

A few weeks later, the company went into administration.

This is rather sad...

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By xyzygy

No way!

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By elko84

This is posted news on the main page...

Chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Chandu83
    @elko84: Well I use BBC quite a bit, and I found it there and I had to post it.
    Cegoraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Cegoraph

I'm not so surprised. Considering it has one of the largest budgets for gaming and the sales didn't match up the game's budget. The game wasn't critically successful either.

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Detrian

THREAD NECROMANCY

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#8  Edited By LordAndrew
    @HarryR0se said:
    " whats messed up about this is that game shops are still selling the game.... so people may buy it then be left with nothing...... that kinda sucks "
    I actually almost bought it. Seriously. I wouldn't have even thought about it otherwise.
    ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By ThePickle

Guess us shooter/MMO fans will have to go elsewhere. 

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ShockD

Well they officially stopped the game servers a month ago, but I heard that some other game company is going to put the game up again (don't remember which).

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By mfpantst

w00t old news.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.