Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Mod Support For Games an Important Feature?

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By No0b0rAmA

The reason I still have Battlefield 2 on my hard drive is because of mods. AIX2, Project Reality and Forgotten Hope 2 are mods great enough to be games themselves. A great example of a mod which is basically an expansion is the Eastern Front for Company of Heroes. It adds the Soviet Union, along with top notch voice acting and model design. However, with console ports on PC, we've seen less mod friendly games, such as Battlefield Bad Company 2 (Imagine how fucking epic that would be), which doesn't give any SDKs for modding. That sometimes removes a lot of great gameplay options that could have existed with a mod.

So the question is, when your purchasing a game, do you consider mod support as an important feature? Or at least a map editor of some sort?
    Also, any great mods you currently play that you'd like to share with the community?

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Jack268

Mod support is great, but most of the time it doesn't make the game. It really made Oblivion and Fallout rise. 

I used to play tons of Warcraft 3, and I guess you could call stuff like Wintermaul and DotA mods, but yeah, I don't currently play any mods I can think of specifically.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By KaosAngel

Is online important for mmos? Are Tweens important for halo and cod?

BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BigLemon

I'm not a big modder, so it's not that important to me. Having said that, I really liked how Civ V implemented the mod support system. That was pretty convenient, and I am sure it was appreciate by many.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By time allen

it's not necessary but it is a great thing to have. thechineseroom do great things with the source engine, for example.

Tricks73r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Tricks73r

Some of the best projects that have ever been released have had a user-mod based start. Counter Strike is a primary example; and the list goes on from there farther than you can document in a forum post. Having made some maps myself for certain games, and actively offering soundtrack support for modders of any scene, I know first hand the snowball effect that a great mod can have on the mainstream community.  

Developer tools keep getting better and better, mods are continuing in the same direction. It's a shame that the only platform supporting the trend actively is PC. If you could upload your own creations to your 360 and try for Msoft verification or alternately on the PS3 under a different category on the marketplace - I mean, obviously the screening process would have to be pretty extensive as to protect your data, but I'd gladly shell out a few bucks for some verified user creations. 

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Sin4profit

it's not as important to me as it once was between the Quake 2 and UT2004 days. the last game changing mod i DLed was to make STALKER not suck so that i could actually play through it. 
    lately it just seems hard to sort the good ones from the bad or the ones that'll have dedicated support.  
    i think it would be smarter for the publishers to implement the mod support from within the game and treat it the same way the Apple App store works.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By crusader8463

I like it because it allows games to quickly have the mod community get out there and make the game the way we want it, instead of the dumbed down way most developers make games these days to appeal to the consoles. It's usually just a ton of UI compromise that they had to make for the consoles that don't work well on the PC, and because they are too lazy to make it work well on the PC the mod community always seems to be the ones that have to do it. 

Plus, I love my nude mods. lol

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By VACkillers

Mod support i think is important for a games long term playibility, but its not the desciding factor weither or not i'll buy a game. I feel like i contradict myself when i say that though because when it DOES come to the battlefield series, mod support is absloutely crucial. When the original BF1942 and vietnam were released, you basicly had a gaming experience that you could change so much of the options before you even got the mods, it was basicly a sandbox SP/MP exerpience, but from Battlefield 2, they cut down the sandbox options to such a degree, you basicly had to be online to enjoy any kind of gameplay AT ALL!! so in order to fix this issue, mod support was the only way to fully enjoy the BF2 gaming experience, for example, a simple option such as BOT SUPPORT, doesn't take much but in the vast battlefields you play on, not having bot support is essentially suicide for the franchise, and we had to wait over a yr and half before DICE released the BOT tools so the "community" could design their own bots, which lead to TONS of new mods, Now you have BC2 which is a port, with SP and MP with absolutely 0 options to do ANYTHING on the gameplay at all, cant even CREATE your own servers.

In general, mod support isn't essential and doesn't really impact me buying a game at all, i think everyone will agree, if you have it, the game lasts about 100% longer in playability then if you dont because you can change so much of the core game, you basicly can get serveral games in one game, mods can completely change the gameplay and giving players more options to do shit is always a plus. When it comes to BF, its the only game i simply not buy for a forth round in Battlfield 3, if it doesn't have mod support or bot support, just aint gonna happen this time, tired of the bs that comes with this franchise now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I think mods are more important then they are made out to be, so many PC games live for years ahead of it's due date simply because of mods keeping it up on it's feet. Plus it also shows the talent of amateur developers, look what happened with the guys that created DOTA.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Azteck

I don't consider it to be a vital part of my purchase decision, but if it's included then that's fantastic. However I can really only see myself getting into the whole mod scene with games like Oblivion or Fallout, mainly because they're so mod-friendly.

Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
    NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NoCookiesForYou
    @BigLemon said:

" I really liked how Civ V implemented the mod support system. That was pretty convenient, and I am sure it was appreciate by many. "

Yeah that was fantastic, really nicely done.

There are games that really thrive with mod support. Oblivion, Sins of a Solar Empire and Total War series to name a few. I don't do mods but there are alot of really creative modders out there with fantastic stuff, gotta appreciate the time and effort those guys put in to their work.
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Spoonman671

Not really.  I usually find that they are more trouble than they're worth.  I generally play the vanilla versions and only get into mods with games like Oblivion, or when dealing with older games that could use a facelift.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By canucks23

Love when games implement mod support well, like oblivion and the bethesda fallout games. Really can add a lot more to a game once you think you're finished with it.

BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BounceDK

Yes its important. I couldn't imagine playing Oblivion or Fallout 3 without mods. Two horrible games made great by mods.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By iam3green

yes, it is important.  when i buy a PC game i go and start looking for mods for the game. a lot of times it is what keeps the PC game going. i think that if there was a game with no support for mods then the game won't last long.  there are even mods that change the game into a totally different game.

some games out there are made from mods. counter strike was a mod for half life. if counter strike didn't get noticed then counter strike source would not be made. i do think that the people that made counter strike mod are working with valve.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.