Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Modern PC game recommendation

Joru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Joru

After 5 years of using the same Pentium 4 PC, I am finally getting an upgrade this week. 
    I have an Xbox 360 so I have been mostly playing that since 2006, although most of the games I played were 360 or console exclusives. I am wondering what games must I play that have come out since 2006 or so? 

I have always enjoyed pc gaming and I'm looking forward to getting back playing more games on it, especially since we have got to the point where games on the pc run smoother and look nicer than their console counterparts.  
    I'm interested in all genres and even games that I have already played on the 360, since I'm sure I'd enjoy playing through them again with a couple of mods thrown in.

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By VanderSEXXX

If you're looking for great multiplayer, get Battlefield: Bad Company 2. Its PC community is especially big.  Another good one to get is Dawn of War II if you're into RTS. You can also alternatively wait for Starcraft II's release this year (granted that Mike Morhaime of Blizzard keeps his word that its releasing this year).

boboshoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By boboshoes

what are the specs of your upgrade? if it means you are getting a 5000 series card and an i7 i would suggest buying Arma 2 for realistic tactical combat and dawn of war 2 if you are into strategy.

Joru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Joru

I'm getting an i5-750,  an HD5770 GPU and 4GB of RAM. Should be enough to run everything, I'm not a person who needs a ridiculous resolution or lots of AA, so this build should be enough for me. Thanks for the suggestions :)  
    Anyone have any other games that they particularly enjoyed in the last few years?

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Ben_H
    @Joru said:
    " I'm getting an i5-750 and an HD5770 GPU with 4GB of RAM. Should be enough to run everything, I'm not a person who needs a ridiculous resolution or lots of AA, so this build should be enough for me. Thanks for the suggestions :)  Anyone have any other games that they particularly enjoyed in the last few years? "
    I have (had more like, I upgraded more) a system with specs similar to that other than I had an AMD Phenom II X4 3.4 Ghz processor and it happily ran basically anything on the market today for games.  Most maxed with at least some anti-aliasing at 1920x1080.  You should be fine.

Get S.T.A.L.K.E.R or Empire: Total War.  They're both tons of fun and will run maxed on your system.  Also: Bad Company 2.  It should run on high quite easily and it looks fantastic.
    ColMirage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By ColMirage

Get the Orange Box at the very least.
    SupCom 1 & Forged Alliance ; Great RTS games.

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By VanderSEXXX
    @Ben_H said:

" @Joru said:

" I'm getting an i5-750 and an HD5770 GPU with 4GB of RAM. Should be enough to run everything, I'm not a person who needs a ridiculous resolution or lots of AA, so this build should be enough for me. Thanks for the suggestions :)  Anyone have any other games that they particularly enjoyed in the last few years? "
    I have (had more like, I upgraded more) a system with specs similar to that other than I had an AMD Phenom II X4 3.4 Ghz processor and it happily ran basically anything on the market today for games.  Most maxed with at least some anti-aliasing at 1920x1080.  You should be fine.  Get S.T.A.L.K.E.R or Empire: Total War.  They're both tons of fun and will run maxed on your system.  Also: Bad Company 2.  It should run on high quite easily and it looks fantastic. "
    yeah i forgot to mention this, even if its got bugs S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl is one game you should play as its one of the best PC experiences I've had so far. But be sure to get the latest mod for it to lessen the bugs in it. Great atmospheric design that game. :D
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Animasta

get just cause 2; it's on the consoles but the modding scene for that game is fantastic.

Joru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Joru
    @VanderSEXXX said:
    "yeah i forgot to mention this, even if its got bugs S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl is one game you should play as its one of the best PC experiences I've had so far. But be sure to get the latest mod for it to lessen the bugs in it. Great atmospheric design that game. :D "
    Indeed, I already have Stalker, just never played very much due to performance issues. But I really like games like it, because they're just something very interesting and things you just don't get on consoles.
    Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ben_H
    @Joru said:
    " @VanderSEXXX said:
    "yeah i forgot to mention this, even if its got bugs S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl is one game you should play as its one of the best PC experiences I've had so far. But be sure to get the latest mod for it to lessen the bugs in it. Great atmospheric design that game. :D "
    Indeed, I already have Stalker, just never played very much due to performance issues. But I really like games like it, because they're just something very interesting and things you just don't get on consoles. "
    With a good system the performance issues and crashes will subside.  I couldn't get past Rostok on my old PC without it crashing but on my new computer I've made it all the way to Pripyat without a single crash.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11  Edited By Geno

Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Dawn of War 2 make for great multiplayer experiences, and there's just countless single player offerings. Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 are of course very good, and you can try out some indie titles such as World of Goo or Mount and Blade as well.

Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Chyro

Witcher and Mount and Blade(And Warband!)

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Marz

Crysis, just because it's an accomplishment to finally run the game at full settings.

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SonicFire

I'm in the same boat, though I didn't order a machine that will run Crysis full spec.  

What is out that's awesome that's NOT on a console (because i'm very invested in my PS3s and 360s) 

I definitely can't wait to play the Witcher, but what else is killer out there?

supalink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By supalink

Battlefield Bad Company 2 is THE game to get for PC multiplayer gaming right now.  
    If you want a single player game that strains your PC's ability to run it try Metro 2033.  
    Open world single player game? Get Stalker: Call of Pripyat 

RTS? Try to get your hands on Starcraft 2 Beta (pray you get accepted), if not then Dawn of War 2 & its recent expansion "Chaos Rising"

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hunkulese
    King's Bounty is an awesome turn based strategy game that not many people have heard of that's kind of like heroes of might and magic and final fantasy tactics.

Torchlight is another fantastic PC only game that's kind of like... well actually it's exactly like diablo. Make sure you have steam and keep an eye out for this one as it seems to be the game that goes on sale when they can't think of anything else.

Civilization IV is still my favorite PC game.  If you've never played it it's a great time to pick it up cheap and learn the ropes before Civ V is unleashed in September.

None of these games may push your system to it's limits but their some of the best PC gaming has to offer. 

I just want to add I left out the obvious FPS games and stuff that's already been mentioned.
    Azrail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Azrail

for pc only games i reccomend 

torchlight  (fun hack and slash time killer)
    civilization 4 (great strategy game)
    counter strike (sue me its the best balanced competitve multiplayer game, 1.6 or source) 
    mount and blade warband (good slow placed meele combat game)

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Well if you don't mind replaying games that you might have on a console, yet get better graphics and a different control interface. I would recommend mass effect 2, resident evil 5 and dragon age orgins. They look fantastic too compared to the console version, you wouldn't belive it. Of course you need a higher rez display to show the graphics.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By TheHT

dragon age origins.

mariussmit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By mariussmit
    @TheHT said:
    " dragon age origins. "
    Agreed, the PC version is the definitive one.
    lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By lazyturtle
    @HitmanAgent47: I can't even imagine how DA:O would work on a console.
    GrandpaJelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GrandpaJelly

If you're man enough for it, The Sims 2 and 3 and definitely get Dragon Age:Origins. I also find Fallout 3 to be better on the PC, get it if you don't have it.

taintmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By taintmachine

grab the orange box right away.  for singe player games, i recommend dragon age, mass effect 2, the bioshocks, dead space, and fallout 3.  for multiplayer games, i recommend league of legends (has a free model), heroes of newerth, starcraft 2 beta (have to preorder or receive a key via opt-in), dawn of war 2, and left 4 dead 2.

n00bosaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By n00bosaurusRex
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

Well if you don't mind replaying games that you might have on a console, yet get better graphics and a different control interface. I would recommend mass effect 2, resident evil 5 and dragon age orgins. They look fantastic too compared to the console version, you wouldn't belive it. Of course you need a higher rez display to show the graphics.

"
    Did they do a good job of porting resident evil 5? After the horrible mouse acceleration problems I had with the PC version if Dead Space and Gears of War I've been scared to try most of the console ports of shooters

Yeah, definitely ME2.  And absolutely purchase the orange box.  Its still one of the best gaming deals on the planet
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @n00bosaurusRex: I had way more fun playing resident evil 5 on the pc than consoles. The graphics are like way better. I don't know about mouse acceleration problems, however when you turn left and right it slows down. It's intentional or else you will look behind you for this game, other than that, I didn't have any problems with the aim. Maybe it's just you need a more powerful pc because I didn't notice any mouse acceration problems for gears of war or any other pc shooter. I always thought it was superior to the console version in almost every way.
    jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Sam and Max 

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ISuperGamerI

I think you should also get Steam as they have pretty much all PC games and huge discounts on the games every week.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1. Crysis
     #2. Half-Life2
    #3. Metro 2033
    #4. Dragon Age Origins.
    #5. The Witcher
    #6. Team Fortress 2
    #7. Painkiller
    #8. BFBC2

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NTM

If anything on PC, and you're pretty confident it can run, you'd have to go with Crysis over any other. Not just because the games looks amazing still, but because it's an awesome game in general. Plus, it's one of the only games that's not on any other system. it doesn't really matter if you have a game like RE5, ME2, Call of Duty, Dragon Age, etc. If you could and/or have played them on another system, there's little reason to play them again elsewhere. So you should definitely look forward to playing Crysis. The game is fun to play even when it's at its lowest qualities while still holding a steady frame rate, but... if you can run it at higher, all the better.
    ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ISuperGamerI

It's also a good idea to use this site.

http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/CYRI/

dipstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By dipstick

Team Fortress 2   
    Heroes of Newerth (or League of Legends if you're new to the genre) 
    Company of Heroes 

mjhhiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mjhhiv
    @murse2008: 

And yet, I'm still of the opinion that The Witcher blows the shit out of Dragon Age. Maybe it was the marketing, maybe not -- it felt to me like BioWare wished that they had made The Witcher, and are trying to catch up in the whole "DARK, GRITTY!!!!" RPG deal with DA. I guess my five big recommendations are Cryostasis, Oblivion (hey, if you don't have it, go for it. Mods and shit), Team Fortress 2, Portal, and the entire STALKER series. Those are my favorites, anyways.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.