Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

MOH = $60 on Steam?

• 65 results
    Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Leptok

Haha, fuck that.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By xMP44x
    @Leptok said:
    " Haha, fuck that. "
    Care to explain why?
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @xMP44x said:
    " @Leptok said:
    " Haha, fuck that. "
    Care to explain why? "
    because spending money to pc users is evil every thing should be free.
    I've heard so many people complain bout 60 dollars, how they never even pay that much at launch you can get it cheaper..yeah you can get it by pirating it, or waiting till it drops in money.
    if every one did that then the developer would have no money.
    PC users cannot seem to get it that people have to make money and in todays world and becasue of rampent pc piracy 50 dollars just isn't enough any more.
    Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Gargantuan
    @WilliamRLBaker said:
    " @xMP44x said:
    " @Leptok said:
    " Haha, fuck that. "
    Care to explain why? "
    because spending money to pc users is evil every thing should be free. I've heard so many people complain bout 60 dollars, how they never even pay that much at launch you can get it cheaper..yeah you can get it by pirating it, or waiting till it drops in money. if every one did that then the developer would have no money. PC users cannot seem to get it that people have to make money and in todays world and becasue of rampent pc piracy 50 dollars just isn't enough any more. "
    And console gamers wouldn't care if games suddenly cost 10 dollars more.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Gargantuan said:
    " @WilliamRLBaker said:
    " @xMP44x said:
    " @Leptok said:
    " Haha, fuck that. "
    Care to explain why? "
    because spending money to pc users is evil every thing should be free. I've heard so many people complain bout 60 dollars, how they never even pay that much at launch you can get it cheaper..yeah you can get it by pirating it, or waiting till it drops in money. if every one did that then the developer would have no money. PC users cannot seem to get it that people have to make money and in todays world and becasue of rampent pc piracy 50 dollars just isn't enough any more. "
    And console gamers wouldn't care if games suddenly cost 10 dollars more. "
    oooh snap
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @Gargantuan said:

" @WilliamRLBaker said:

" @xMP44x said:
    " @Leptok said:
    " Haha, fuck that. "
    Care to explain why? "
    they all ready cost 60 dollars on console.
    and thats not the point, but the point is is that PC users are adament about never paying any thing except the game it self, and they are on very shaky ground even paying for the actual game it self 50 dollars it is.
    Its all ways greedy...ect its never that the company needs the extra income becasue of the state of the industry, and simply put there is no denying that pc gaming has the highest piracy, there is piracy on wii and 360 but its no where near as large as pc games.

I remember a indie developer wanted to see what the pc gaming piracy rate was, so they created a simple game it was a fun little game, and said you can pay any thing you want, just put whatever number you want into paypal or credit card, or we have this torrent link setup you can download it for free.
    even though people could pay 1 cent for it, more people opted to torrent the game,
    and it didn't SUDDENLY cost more every thing in the gaming culture has pointed towards a standard 60 dollars.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

this reminds me of something.

back when chrono trigger was released it launched at 70 dollars...thats right 69.99...
    I bought that game because I had loved FF1, FF4,and FF6, I enjoyed secret of mana...So I knew I'd enjoy CT and it would be quality...and I was right...and I happily paid 70 dollars...at like 12-13 years old.

If a game is quality and your gonna enjoy it whats the problem with giving the developer their due? if its not good and you dont like it...then don't buy it...

mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By mrhankey
    @WilliamRLBaker said:

" @Gargantuan said:

" @WilliamRLBaker said:

" @xMP44x said:
    " @Leptok said:
    " Haha, fuck that. "
    Care to explain why? "
    they all ready cost 60 dollars on console. and thats not the point, but the point is is that PC users are adament about never paying any thing except the game it self, and they are on very shaky ground even paying for the actual game it self 50 dollars it is. Its all ways greedy...ect its never that the company needs the extra income becasue of the state of the industry, and simply put there is no denying that pc gaming has the highest piracy, there is piracy on wii and 360 but its no where near as large as pc games.  I remember a indie developer wanted to see what the pc gaming piracy rate was, so they created a simple game it was a fun little game, and said you can pay any thing you want, just put whatever number you want into paypal or credit card, or we have this torrent link setup you can download it for free. even though people could pay 1 cent for it, more people opted to torrent the game, and it didn't SUDDENLY cost more every thing in the gaming culture has pointed towards a standard 60 dollars. "
    Seriously? If the company provides two options "Pay for it" or "Get it for free" what option do you think most people are going to take? That is hardly a scientific way to prove something, actually it's one of the most biased forms of "research" I have ever seen. IF a company made a game and said you can either a pay $60 or you can download it for free over XBL, which would you take? Don't say you'd pay money, because let's all agree one something, if a company WILLINGLY provdes something for free, even as a small research project to prove the pervasiveness of piracy, they have already proved they aren't a credible source because they heavily BIASED anything they are doing. Sorry, I hate to say it, but their little "stunt" proves nothing other than people liking free stuff. Yes piracy is large on the PC; however, one needs to look at it with a critical eye before they go and cite sources that are blatantly wrong, skewed, biased, etc..
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Animasta

the reason console games are 60 is because they have to pay microsoft/sony that extra 10, no excuse on the PC.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Diamond

It's not like you should be really excited for the game anyways.

s7evn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By s7evn
    @Laketown: except for the fact that so many people payed for MW2 and now we are getting a new price standard for big, blockbuster type games.
    Avatar image for themaniacsgnome
    TheManiacsGnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheManiacsGnome

I just pre ordered it. 

Yeah the 10 dollars sucks but the MP looked interesting, certainly looked much more fleshed out then Modern Crapfare 2.

djaoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By djaoni
    @Laketown said:
    " the reason console games are 60 is because they have to pay microsoft/sony that extra 10, no excuse on the PC. "
    William didn't realize that in his illiterate rant.
    TheManiacsGnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheManiacsGnome
    @djaoni said:

" @Laketown said:

" the reason console games are 60 is because they have to pay microsoft/sony that extra 10, no excuse on the PC. "
    William didn't realize that in his illiterate rant. "
    Most people don't know about the Sony/Microsoft licensing. The same people that don't realize that game rentals and purchasing used games is very close to "piracy" as well. (Only in the sense that you are playing the game without giving developers anything.) 

Yes I purchased Medal of Honour 5 minutes ago on Steam. 

Yes I just payed 60 dollars for it. 

But I would rather play a game that looks like it takes advantage of the PC instead of a 60 dollar Cut/paste job that is essentially the same as a game that came out 2 years before it. Thats right I totally didn't buy MW2, go me and sticking to petitions. I also absolutely adored MOHAA so this brings me back.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By mikemcn
    @WilliamRLBaker:  That assumes that the only reason any game company creates a game is to make the consumer happy, that they put so much of their blood sweat and tears into it that it truly was worth that amount of money. Prehaps you got your 70 bucks worth of entertainment, but your the little guy, your just another number on some excel spreadsheet, in the end, no one gives a damn whether you did it out of appreciation for the company or just because you were too lazy to find a cheaper option. They could have offered it for cheaper, while still making a profit. Is there a reason a steam game thats is nothing more than a bunch of code in your hard drive costs as much as a game on the shelf? Setting the bar at 60 bucks just means that by making that the standard, they can offer future games at that price without having to insure there is content to back it up. Its a dirty trick that alot of gamers have become blind to overtime and now its growing.

I bought MW2 for PC off the shelf for 60 bucks the day it came out, alot of people I know preordered it off Steam for that same price, only to find out they couldn't even access the game until 3 days after release. It sure would be nice if a game company could at least be courteous to allow you to play a game that you paid an unusual amount of money for. I mean, they care about the consumer so much right? Activision/EA / Ubisoft are our best friends and all those wonderful developers really need our support! Right? 

Right?

........... right?
    mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mosdl

A game that has really good MP is worth more to me since I will be playing it way more.  Though I won't pre-order until I play in the beta as bfbc2 is working out great for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-59fb4bc479490
    deactivated-59fb4bc479490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

@WilliamRLBaker said:
    " @xMP44x said:
    " @Leptok said:
    " Haha, fuck that. "
    Care to explain why? "

Screw you. 

JUST BECAUSE PC GAMERS KNOW THE VALUE OF A DOLLAR YOU THING YOU HAVE ANY SORT OF RIGHT TO COMPLAIN ABOUT US COMPLAINING ABOUT PAYING YOUR CRAPPY "UNINFORMED" PRICE?  Ever heard of a little thing called VALUE.  Add-ons used to be what is not considered a full game, what used to be 15 missions and all new maps has been replaced with 4 new maps and 2 old ones for 5 bucks more.   

Kiss my pc gaming ass if you think I'm not going to defend anyone who says "screw that" to any sort of price hike.  I bitched when madden games costs 50 bucks on a portable, when dlc and downloadable games went to 15 bucks instead of 5 and 10, and you bet your ass I will bitch when pc games get the same damn thing happening.   Do you honestly thing that Pc gamers pirate more or less then console gamers?  Go look at a psp, ds, wii, and 360 on youtube.  Tell me that 90% of that shit isn't about how to hack your console and links to downloads and roms and so on.   

Having the attitude that because a PC gamer is complaining so they must be wrong is complete bullshit.  Pull your fancy pancy console gaming head out of your ass next time and maybe I wont rip you an airhole next post.
    vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By vilhelmnielsen
    @Laketown said:
    I'm asking because I know nothing about this, but what about MS/Sony published games? What about payed exclusives?
    gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gosukiller
    @Laketown said:

Agreed. MW2 has set a dangerous precedent which I hope will end with MoH. 
    Don't count on it, though.
    Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jams

I've never pirated a game in my life and I am extremely against it. I also say "fuck that" to $60 PC games. There is no reason for those ass holes to raise the price of games other than, "Let's see how much we can charge and get away with.". I won't pirate because I don't like the price. I will just straight up not play any over priced game. Vote with your wallet as they say. If only everyone else did that we would be able to make a bold statement that we aren't standing for bullshit superficial price increases.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By Marz

i preordered my medal of honor for 35$ :)    nice to preorder like half a year early with an EA coupon code.

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By Funzzo

ya 60 bucks sucks but how long did it take for AC2 to go down to 39.99. 

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BabyChooChoo
    @Laketown said:
    Well the new popular 'excuse' is the fans of MW2 said they would never stand for a $60 pc game, but that still sold gazillions on pc. Other publishers looked at it and said "screw it...if they can do it so can we." It sucks but that's the way the world is. And sadly that game will still sell.
    time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By time allen

they're not paying for physical packaging or distribution on steam, and there are no fees just for putting it on the platform (a la ps3 and 360), so i don't see why it should be $60. if people really expect me to pay for digital files, they have to lower their prices (that is not to say, however, that i pirate). 

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AndrewGaspar

Devs end up seeing a much larger percentage of the revenue from game sales on Steam than they do retail. Valve takes it's share, but there's no retail cost (which is very significant, over the usual $10 difference between the Steam cost and the console cost).

viney212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By viney212
    @WilliamRLBaker said:
     I remember a indie developer wanted to see what the pc gaming piracy rate was, so they created a simple game it was a fun little game, and said you can pay any thing you want, just put whatever number you want into paypal or credit card, or we have this torrent link setup you can download it for free. even though people could pay 1 cent for it, more people opted to torrent the game, and it didn't SUDDENLY cost more every thing in the gaming culture has pointed towards a standard 60 dollars. "
    That proves nothing at all.  That's essentially giving something away and asking for donations.  It says absolutely nothing about piracy rates.  If Toyota came out and said, "Here's a bunch of cars.  You can pay us whatever you want for them... even nothing!", what do you expect the majority of people would do?  And how would it correlate to car theft rates in the country?  It wouldn't mean jack shit, right?   You think PC gamers are the only demographic out there that likes things for cheap or free?
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Tennmuerti

Yeah with $60 as well as gameplay that is just something between MW2 and BC2 I just don't see myself paying full price at all.
    Maybe when they have a sale like 50% off or more for it.
    Which they likely will at some point.

@WilliamRLBaker

said:

I remember a indie developer wanted to see what the pc gaming piracy rate was, so they created a simple game it was a fun little game, and said you can pay any thing you want, just put whatever number you want into paypal or credit card, or we have this torrent link setup you can download it for free. even though people could pay 1 cent for it, more people opted to torrent the game, and it didn't SUDDENLY cost more every thing in the gaming culture has pointed towards a standard 60 dollars. "

FYI those guys made a shit ton of money still. Like insanely high numbers considering how much they spent developing it, which was next to nothing.
    Even with their very simplistic game. The developer themselves said that they were very pleased at how much money they made if I recall correctly.
    viney212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By viney212
    @Toms115 said:
    " they're not paying for physical packaging or distribution on steam, and there are no fees just for putting it on the platform (a la ps3 and 360), so i don't see why it should be $60. if people really expect me to pay for digital files, they have to lower their prices (that is not to say, however, that i pirate).  "
    The issue there is the digital distributors can't be allowed to undercut retail stores on standard prices, or else the publishers risk pissing off their biggest distributors.  The trade-off for physical packaging is convenience.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Viney212 said:
    " @Toms115 said:
    " they're not paying for physical packaging or distribution on steam, and there are no fees just for putting it on the platform (a la ps3 and 360), so i don't see why it should be $60. if people really expect me to pay for digital files, they have to lower their prices (that is not to say, however, that i pirate).  "
    The issue there is the digital distributors can't be allowed to undercut retail stores on standard prices, or else the publishers risk pissing off their biggest distributors.  The trade-off for physical packaging is convenience. "

have you bought a pc game in the past 5 years, your options arent "retail or digital distribution".  It is typically the dev site, amazon, online retailer, or digital.  Console gamers don't have to have things shipped to their house.
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hitchenson
    @Maniac said:

" I just pre ordered it.  Yeah the 10 dollars sucks but the MP looked interesting, certainly looked much more fleshed out then Modern Crapfare 2. "

...How? Have you played the beta? Are you in the dev team? It looks exactly like Mordern Crapfare* as you so childishly put it.
    vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By vilhelmnielsen
    @PrimeSynergy said:
    " @Laketown said:
    Well the new popular 'excuse' is the fans of MW2 said they would never stand for a $60 pc game, but that still sold gazillions on pc. Other publishers looked at it and said "screw it...if they can do it so can we." It sucks but that's the way the world is. And sadly that game will still sell. "
    Well, publishers still crap their pants over ruining relationships with physical stores, so the prices have to be alike.
    viney212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By viney212
    @nabokovfan87 said:
    " @Viney212 said:
    " @Toms115 said:
    The issue there is the digital distributors can't be allowed to undercut retail stores on standard prices, or else the publishers risk pissing off their biggest distributors.  The trade-off for physical packaging is convenience. "
    have you bought a pc game in the past 5 years, your options arent "retail or digital distribution".  It is typically the dev site, amazon, online retailer, or digital.  Console gamers don't have to have things shipped to their house. "
    Yes, I have.  I've bought from all of those examples actually, but that's besides the point.  I wasn't talking consoles vs. PCs, I was talking about his issue with physical vs. digital pricing, which is both a console and a pc issue.  And when I said "retailers", of course that includes amazon and online stores as well.  I don't know what your last sentence has to do with anything.  And I never said retail or digital distribution was your only options, just that physical retail (be it a big box store, amazon, online, the devs, or wherever it is you're buying your physical copies)  is the driving factor behind digital prices.  He said he wouldn't buy digital unless they lowered the prices, and I'm saying, don't expect them to lower digital prices unless they likewise lower physical prices

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Viney212 said:
    " @nabokovfan87 said:
    " @Viney212 said:
    " @Toms115 said:
    have you bought a pc game in the past 5 years, your options arent "retail or digital distribution".  It is typically the dev site, amazon, online retailer, or digital.  Console gamers don't have to have things shipped to their house. "
    Yes, I have.  I've bought from all of those examples actually, but that's besides the point.  I wasn't talking consoles vs. PCs, I was talking about his issue with physical vs. digital pricing, which is both a console and a pc issue.  And when I said "retailers", of course that includes amazon and online stores as well.  I don't know what your last sentence has to do with anything.  And I never said retail or digital distribution was your only options, just that physical retail (be it a big box store, amazon, online, the devs, or wherever it is you're buying your physical copies)  is the driving factor behind digital prices.  He said he wouldn't buy digital unless they lowered the prices, and I'm saying, don't expect them to lower digital prices unless they likewise lower physical prices "

You do know printing boxes COSTS MORE right?  Digital distribution should be cheaper because you do not need to print discs, make cases, labels, so on and so on.  If you are going to tell me that there is no difference between buying online vs. going to gamestop you are sadly mistaken.  Buying on line takes an extra week to get to my house, an extra 5 or so dollars of added cost to get to my house, it is an epic pain in the ass to buy a pc game if you want the disc, unless it is on of the big games of the year, new wow expansion, etc. that is stocked at walmart and so on.   

You cannot tell me pc gamers should pay more when it costs the devs less and is easier to release their game on steam.  If you are, then it is just plain fucking wrong.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mikemcn
    @Hitchenson said:
    " @Maniac said:

" I just pre ordered it.  Yeah the 10 dollars sucks but the MP looked interesting, certainly looked much more fleshed out then Modern Crapfare 2. "

...How? Have you played the beta? Are you in the dev team? It looks exactly like Mordern Crapfare* as you so childishly put it. "
     But hey its fun to shit on a game you have no reason to hate like MW2.
    viney212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By viney212
    @nabokovfan87 said:
    " @Viney212 said:
    " @nabokovfan87 said:
    " @Viney212 said:
    " @Toms115 said:
    Yes, I have.  I've bought from all of those examples actually, but that's besides the point.  I wasn't talking consoles vs. PCs, I was talking about his issue with physical vs. digital pricing, which is both a console and a pc issue.  And when I said "retailers", of course that includes amazon and online stores as well.  I don't know what your last sentence has to do with anything.  And I never said retail or digital distribution was your only options, just that physical retail (be it a big box store, amazon, online, the devs, or wherever it is you're buying your physical copies)  is the driving factor behind digital prices.  He said he wouldn't buy digital unless they lowered the prices, and I'm saying, don't expect them to lower digital prices unless they likewise lower physical prices "
    You do know printing boxes COSTS MORE right?  Digital distribution should be cheaper because you do not need to print discs, make cases, labels, so on and so on.  If you are going to tell me that there is no difference between buying online vs. going to gamestop you are sadly mistaken.  Buying on line takes an extra week to get to my house, an extra 5 or so dollars of added cost to get to my house, it is an epic pain in the ass to buy a pc game if you want the disc, unless it is on of the big games of the year, new wow expansion, etc. that is stocked at walmart and so on.    You cannot tell me pc gamers should pay more when it costs the devs less and is easier to release their game on steam.  If you are, then it is just plain fucking wrong. "
    OK, first off, boxes and shit do not cost that much to produce and packaging makes up a very small percentage of the final MSRP.  Nickels and Dimes when you mass produce everything the way these companies do.  And when you put it up against bandwidth fees and all that stuff, the difference is not that great.  Advertising, cost of development, licensing, etc etc. make up much more of that final price.  But again, that's besides the point, and not what I'm talking about here.  What do shipping fees and wait times have to do with what I'm talking about.  And even more, what does that have to do with MSRP's?  Seriously, what the fuck are you trying to argue here?  I think you're missing the point.  Nowhere did I ever say PC gamers should have to pay more.   Stop putting words in my mouth and taking this off on tangents other than what I was originally explaining.

All I'm trying to explain to you is why new digital purchases aren't going to sell cheaper than their physical versions even if they were cheaper to distribute.  The digital prices for new release games are based on the suggested retail prices of their physical versions.  Read up on MSRP's or something ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suggested_retail_price) because it doesn't seem that you understand why they standardize pricing.  Sony doesn't sell new release PSP games on the PSN cheaper than stores, and the same thing with Steam and XBLA.  They're not going to undercut their distributors for, what's in the end, the same product.  Just because you have a preference for physical over digital does not mean they're going to price them differently.    And if I'm so wrong, why does every major distributor of digital games operate this way?

This has already gotten way off topic though, so please just stop trying to argue things that I'm not even saying.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Orange box on steam: 29.99 
    Orange box on amazon:  27.99 + shipp 

Borderlands on steam: 29.99
    Borderlands on amazon: 27.99 + shipp

Me2 on steam: 39.99
    Me2 on amazon: 28.71 + shipp

MoH on steam: 59.99
    MoH on amazon: 59.99 + free shipp

It goes both ways man,  and if you look into MSRP, it means nothing.  Anyone can charge whatever the hell they want for anything.  It is all about supply and demand.  That is why selling a ps3 at launch was such a big deal.  You can talk about bandwidth fees and so forth all you want, but something like TIME is much more important then money or some other bullshit farce that you want to bring up.   What my point is, is that when you said: 

"The issue there is the digital distributors can't be allowed to undercut retail stores on standard prices, or else the publishers risk pissing off their biggest distributors.  The trade-off for physical packaging is convenience. "     

There is no such thing as retail for PC anymore.  EVERYTHING is online, you need internet to buy a PC game, unless it is something ginormous that wal-mart carries or you are in some other specialized area.  The whole argument for this entire thread, is console prices of 60 bucks vs. that of the PC where you don't have liscensing costs, retailers, or anything of the standard brick and mortar scenario.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FunExplosions

Duh! The extra 10 for PC games is to pay for the shipping fees, the game manual, and the production costs. Oh, wait...

Avatar image for white_silhouette
    White_Silhouette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By White_Silhouette

A large part of it could be that people are going to pay it. It started with MW2 and Starcraft 2 is $60.00. I remember when people bitching and complaining when gas  was $0.50/litre. It's now $0.90/litre because people are willing to pay it.   Why shouldn't other companies try and get more money for their product? They have to pay the people who make it. As well as those who are on top and need money to burn to light those cigars. I honestly don't have a problem with inflation if the increase actually goes to those making the products. Sadly I'm sure most of any increase does not.

Ashsaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Ashsaver

60 dollars is too expensive for me , now before accusing me of being cheap or a pirate,know this: I live in a country where minimum wage is 5 dollars per day. not to mention that i have to pay the rents buy the foods,feed the family etc etc. 

When Modern Warfare 2 came out,despite how dump downed its PC version is, i pulled a whole night O.T. on 31st December serving Champagnes to rich people to buy it,and i don't feel like doing it everytime blockbuster title comes out. 

I didn't have to do this back when the Orange Box came out, because it was localize and the price was a lot cheaper than buying on Steam. (about 10 dollars)

So If MoH is localized maybe i'll give it a shot, but if not,i'll prolly get the Xbox360 or PS3 version even though I'll have to pay the same price at least I'll still have the Disc.

TheManiacsGnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TheManiacsGnome
    @Hitchenson said:
    " @Maniac said:

...How? Have you played the beta? Are you in the dev team? It looks exactly like Mordern Crapfare* as you so childishly put it. "
    Actually I have played the beta, and after giving the game about 3 hours realized it's much closer to Bad Company 2 then Modern Warfare 2. It's not free of issues, or some really lazy work but I'm hoping most of the stuff thats done is placeholder material.  Yes it bears some similarities to Modern Warfare 2, but it is not exactly like it. I actually thought the Combat Mission stuff has some potential, we'll have to see what happens over the next few months. 
    DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DG991

No but seriously $60 is too much for a preorder of a game that is basically a reskined BFBC2... I almost bought it but then I watched some live streams of gameplay and was like "pfffft no thanks I already OWN bfbc2..."

TheManiacsGnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheManiacsGnome
    @Mikemcn said:
    " @Hitchenson said:
    " @Maniac said:

But hey its fun to shit on a game you have no reason to hate like MW2. "
    Started playing CoD in 2003, I have many reasons to hate MW2. Assumptions make an ass of u and me.
    Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By Darkstar614

A bit late to this thread, but I just wanted to comment on how ridiculous some of the posts on the first page are. People are going to pay what a game is worth. The OP is just saying that this game isn't worth the price, and I sort of agree. Just because someone gives in and purchases all their games on console for $60 doesn't mean everyone else has to submit to that nonsense as well.

nickhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By nickhimself

60 dollars for PC games needs to stop.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Binman88

That's the price point they've been selling PC games for on Steam in Europe for a while (€49.99 is roughly 61 bucks) and it's a major reason I haven't purchased a full price game from them. I can pre-order the boxed game right now from game.co.uk or any other outlet for roughly £25 (just under €30, which is about 37 bucks). Why would anyone spend an extra €20 for the Steam version?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#46  Edited By Jeust
    @gosukiller said:

" @Laketown said:

Agreed. MW2 has set a dangerous precedent which I hope will end with MoH.  Don't count on it, though. "
    Yep, pretty much. Also maybe with MoH you'll see premium map packs too. 
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

@WilliamRLBaker said:
    " @xMP44x said:
    " @Leptok said:
    " Haha, fuck that. "
    Care to explain why? "

They don't charge an extra ten dollars because of piracy. They do it because they can get away with it, and that's what matters when it comes to setting price. Console games cost the extra ten bucks to pay the cost of getting the game on the platform. PC devs don't have that extra cost. That's why it's annoying.
    bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By bacongames
    @jams said:

" I've never pirated a game in my life and I am extremely against it. I also say "fuck that" to $60 PC games. There is no reason for those ass holes to raise the price of games other than, "Let's see how much we can charge and get away with.". I won't pirate because I don't like the price. I will just straight up not play any over priced game. Vote with your wallet as they say. If only everyone else did that we would be able to make a bold statement that we aren't standing for bullshit superficial price increases. "

Thank you. 

It's basic economics.  If the market is more open to a slightly higher price point, then that is one more notch in the price point belt that they can utilize as they move it along the price curve.  It only prolongs the life and revenue stream of the product.  There is literally no reason to be all noble and buy the game full price because every single price point they are willing to provide to reach more customers is equally valid.  The trade-off being obviously that you don't get the game as quickly or at all.  Mix that with reviews and I believe a customer has plenty of information to make an informed purchase.

Unfortunately people decided a long time ago it was okay to be lazy and give their $60 first day or pirate it.  It's frankly disgusting because the people who are caught in the middle, the people who buy games at not full price but don't pirate, get no say or advocacy.  The reduced price and used marketeers who don't want to spend that kind of cash on only one game, no matter how good or long it is, are getting screwed by the loud minority who give everyone else the wrong impression.  I am not worried however because time and time again games go through a price reduction and at most you're a year late when buying games from a sale or used.

Last year I bought games at an average price of $15 used and got so many more than I would have at full price.  Does the developer get all my cash?  But they don't get all my cash regardless of how much I pay them because their salaries have already been paid by the publishers and the money I give contributes to developer bonus deals they signed (assuming they didn't screw themselves).  The fact that I'm well within my rights in the free market to purchase he product based on the range of prices offered is enough.  Otherwise they're no more noble than the pirates.
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#50  Edited By warxsnake
    @WilliamRLBaker said:

" @xMP44x said:

" @Leptok said:
    " Haha, fuck that. "
    Care to explain why? "
    Thats the dumbest thing I've read on this forum. 
    Games are 60$ on console because of microsoft and sony certification process and they have a 10$ cut per game. There was no such cerfication on PC, the standard being $49.99 for over a decade, the 10$ extra we are suddenly paying for on Steam comes from them being hosted on Steam and steam gets a cut from the sales.  
    I hate it when people "explain" shit with old ass rhetoric like oh hey because they are pirates and they want their shit for free, I probably spent more money towards PC games and gifts to others through Steam than your entire game collection, quit generalizing its getting old.  

Edit: also yeah, MOH is just bfbc2 reskinned and with less options, based on the MP beta. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.