Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

MOH = $60 on Steam?

• 65 results
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By SlasherMan

@warxsnake said:

"  the 10$ extra we are suddenly paying for on Steam comes from them being hosted on Steam and steam gets a cut from the sales.  " 

I'm not sure how you got to that conclusion. 
    Those games aren't priced at $60 because they're hosted on Steam, they're priced like that because that's what their publishers want to sell them at. If what you're saying was true, all games on Steam would have been sold for that price and there wouldn't be any $40-$50 launch titles at all. Even without the extra $10, publishers make more money on digital distribution, since Steam supposedly gets about a 30-40% cut on each sale (I expect slightly lower percentages for D2D, GG and Impulse), and the rest goes to the publisher. In retail, the money is split between a lot more than just two parties.

Anyway, you'll find the same $60 asking price for those few games on other digital distribution sites and retail outlets (at least at launch in retail). MoH for PC is $60 on Amazon right now. The difference here is in retail shops the prices drop a lot quicker than on Steam or any of the other digital distribution networks where, for the most part, the publisher can dictate what they want the prices to be set at. In retail, the publisher has no direct control over pricing and the retailer will do whatever is necessary to move its stock.

The $10 price hike is simple, really. Publishers are testing the waters here after Activision tried it out and succeeded with MW2 where people gladly paid, and if they find out people will pay those prices for all games, then expect the rest to follow and this to become the new standard pricing for PC games. If the extra $10 do little to decrease demand, then they know they can charge more and get away with it. You can only blame the people who gladly hand over their money.

If this is a move you do not approve of, then vote with your wallet and do not buy until the prices are lowered to a more appropriate level.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By Jimbo

MoH is $45 inc. tax on Steam here in the UK.  A retail copy can currently be ordered online inc. tax and delivery for $35.

$60 is far too much for a PC game, and digital distribution should cost less not more.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By warxsnake
    @SlasherMan said:

"  

@warxsnake

said:

"  the 10$ extra we are suddenly paying for on Steam comes from them being hosted on Steam and steam gets a cut from the sales.  " 

I'm not sure how you got to that conclusion.  Those games aren't priced at $60 because they're hosted on Steam, they're priced like that because that's what their publishers want to sell them at. If what you're saying was true, all games on Steam would have been sold for that price and there wouldn't be any $40-$50 launch titles at all. Even without the extra $10, publishers make more money on digital distribution, since Steam supposedly gets about a 30-40% cut on each sale (I expect slightly lower percentages for D2D, GG and Impulse), and the rest goes to the publisher. In retail, the money is split between a lot more than just two parties. Anyway, you'll find the same $60 asking price for those few games on other digital distribution sites and retail outlets (at least at launch in retail). MoH for PC is $60 on Amazon right now. The difference here is in retail shops the prices drop a lot quicker than on Steam or any of the other digital distribution networks where, for the most part, the publisher can dictate what they want the prices to be set at. In retail, the publisher has no direct control over pricing and the retailer will do whatever is necessary to move its stock.  The $10 price hike is simple, really. Publishers are testing the waters here after Activision tried it out and succeeded with MW2 where people gladly paid, and if they find out people will pay those prices for all games, then expect the rest to follow and this to become the new standard pricing for PC games. If the extra $10 do little to decrease demand, then they know they can charge more and get away with it. You can only blame the people who gladly hand over their money. If this is a move you do not approve of, then vote with your wallet and do not buy until the prices are lowered to a more appropriate level. "
    Well I work at Ubisoft. To my knowledge and what producers tell me, every sale we make on Steam, Valve gets a cut of it. Granted It's probably not the only reason in the 10$ hike, I haven't asked exactly how much Valve gets. I was giving one example as to why games are 10$ more expensive, since I solely use Steam these days that was my example, should have made that clearer my bad
    Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@warxsnake:  The same applies for retail, so that's already covered. I doubt the cost of putting a game on Steam is significantly more than the cost of putting it on a shelf in GS.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Jimbo

I doubt there is a fixed % cut for Valve when a game is sold through Steam (ie. Activision could probably arrange better terms than an indie dev might), but ~30% probably isn't a bad shout.  On the other hand, the publisher has virtually no distribution costs (no physical game to produce, no shipping it to retailers) and there is no platform tax to pay.

My guess is EA would take ~$15 more from a $60 Steam sale than they would from a $60 retail console sale.  A $60 digital sale via EA Store is probably worth two console retail sales at the same price.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#56  Edited By zidd
    @jams said:
    " I also say "fuck that" to $60 PC games. There is no reason for those ass holes to raise the price of games other than, "Let's see how much we can charge and get away with.". I won't pirate because I don't like the price. I will just straight up not play any over priced game. Vote with your wallet as they say. If only everyone else did that we would be able to make a bold statement that we aren't standing for bullshit superficial price increases. "  
    The cost of game development has skyrocketed while game prices have stayed relatively stable. If you want titles with good production values you have to pay more because it costs more to make. Of course all that mass infringement doesn't necessarily help either but thats PC gaming for you. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Zidd: 
    It doesn't cost more to produce the same amount of content. Developers are putting more content into their games. Sometimes this is inevitable to keep with the times. A 3d model needs considerably more detail now than it did ten years ago. However, not every game needs a big budget. They blame the consumers, but I think this is mainly the developers fault. It's a multi-billion dollar industry, and they want to keep the stakes high. I think it would be healthy to experiment with projects on a smaller scale. And, given the popularity of games like Trine, I think the industry is starting to realize this.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Jimbo

Actually, I don't really give a shit whether they spend $50 million making and advertising super-polished 5 hour long games or not.  Their bottom line isn't my concern, and I'd actually prefer if they stopped making those games and got back to making something with less style, more substance and a substantially lower budget.  

They all keep throwing money at a completely oversaturated part of the market, where they have to spend more and more money just to keep up, whilst other sections of the market are totally starved of games - then they wonder why they're operating at a loss.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

Here's my plan.  

I wait for Steam to have a sale. I buy game for less than 60 dollars. I enjoy game. It works really well everybody! 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jimbo said:
    " Actually, I don't really give a shit whether they spend $50 million making and advertising super-polished 5 hour long games or not.  Their bottom line isn't my concern, and I'd actually prefer if they stopped making those games and got back to making something with less style, more substance and a substantially lower budget. "
    Fuckin A. Plus One.
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By Demyx
    @CrossTheAtlantic said:
    " Here's my plan.   I wait for Steam to have a sale. I buy game for less than 60 dollars. I enjoy game. It works really well everybody!  "
    lol, this. Steam has the best sales, I mean Assassin's Creed 2 was priced at 60, now its like 40. Frankly, I'm not very worried.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

60 bucks for any video game is to much in my book, it disappointments me  that people accepted the price Im a PC gamer and i use to be a console gamer for most of my life  but got into PC gaming around the time when they where announcing the  new consoles where coming out and then when i saw the games where going to be 60  i said F that. Im glad i switch over to the PC but now im seeing this BS 60 bucks for a PC game ill never pay that much for a game no matter what platform.Let me ask the people a question that have no problems paying 60 for a game will you  except a 70 dollar game or 80,90,ect.Because there going to keep raising the prices as long as they can get away with it then Piracy is going to get even more worst for all platforms.And gaming just wouldn't be fun anymore.

Dark_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Dark_Jon

It's a Modern Warfare ripoff.

Bad Company 2, BF2, and BF2142 are way better than that piece of trash and cheaper too.

andrela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By andrela

PC games were always cheaper than their console counterparts because there are no fees that need to be paid to MS or Sony. I dread to see how sales of PC games are going to go if this trend of $60 (and probably €60 ) new releases catches on

A_Wet_Shamwow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#65  Edited By A_Wet_Shamwow
    @Dark_Jon said:
    " It's a Modern Warfare ripoff.   Bad Company 2, BF2, and BF2142 are way better than that piece of trash and cheaper too. "
    this except it has bc2 elements 
    but i have to say if i were to buy a FPS this year it would be black ops 
    On the PC there will be dedicated servers and also a beta so i think it might come out decent. (im a console gamer but realizes pc would be better if i could afford a pc instead of this laptop with a grafics chip)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.