Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Monitor and Ram problems

LeYcH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

So I have a problem guys and I don't know where else to go.

I ordered some Ram (Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3) and I bought a SATA cable for the HDD I am to buy soon (I thought I'd attach the SATA cable now so I wouldn't have to go through the trouble of removing my graphics card to reach my sata cables to install the HDD)

I opened up PC, removed my previous ram and installed both of them. I put everything back together and the PC doesn't detect the monitor, at this point I think I've probably just not installed it on properly and it's loose so I try again. It still doesn't work.

I've tried reinstalling the graphics card, I've tried using my old ram sticks, I've tried booting up the PC with no ram sticks but I heard no beeps, I've tried connecting the monitor to my laptop and it worked, I've tried both HDMI and DVI. At this point I'm just completely stumped, I've no idea what to do next.
    Help?

Foxconn A88GMX
    Nvidia 670 factory OC
    AMD Phenom X4 II 965 Quad Core 3.4 ghz
    Rendition 4GB ram (Corsair 8GB Vengeance)
    Samsung SyncMaster S22B300

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By killacam

hook up a 4-pin speaker to your motherboard and listen to the beep code when you boot it up. that should give you a clue as to where to start. seems likely that it's a memory issue due to your motherboard buggin' out.

LeYcH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By LeYcH

I don't think I have any of those lying around the house.

I didn't even know what they were until I just googled it, in any case I'll try to obtain one and do that.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Sounds like your video card either fried or is loose. Did you plug the power cables back into the video card?

Does the computer sound like it is booting up? Hard drive activity light flashing like it would when it is loading Windows?

LeYcH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LeYcH

Yeah the power cables are in the video card. How would find out if it's fried or broken etc?

Well there's a green light on the HDD, and it sounds pretty much like normal.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By killacam

@leych: yeah, without one you're basically fumbling in the dark. it should at least be able to pinpoint whether it's a memory, cpu, or gpu issue. of course you can always test the gpu by seeing if the problem persists when using the video out on your motherboard.

Raethen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does your mother board have a little digital display that flashes a series of letter and numbers on boot?

LeYcH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raethen said:

Does your mother board have a little digital display that flashes a series of letter and numbers on boot?

It doesn't do anything fancy like that, no.

Raethen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leych: Damn, a lot of modern MBs I've dealt with have them instead of error beeps, but I've only ever used Intel chip sets, so it might be something only they do. Is there any kind of flashing light that goes in a specific pattern on it?

LeYcH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, the only lights I see is the one on the HDD and a blue one but there's no flashing at all, and I can't tell if it's from the MB or Video card.

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By szlifier

Just get a speaker, pull it out form an old PC or just borrow it. Any PC repair shop will give you one for cheap. Then boot without your graphic card and memory. If the power supply starts and the fans are spinning, but there is no beeping, your MB or CPU is busted.

First of all, clear the CMOS, RTC, BIOS or whatever your MB manufacturer calls it. There will be a jumper you need to short when cold booting your PC.

Raethen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leych: That sucks. It seems completely backwards to me that a modern motherboard would require you to buy something to test what is wrong with it.

LeYcH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@szlifier said:

Just get a speaker, pull it out form an old PC or just borrow it. Any PC repair shop will give you one for cheap. Then boot without your graphic card and memory. If the power supply starts and the fans are spinning, but there is no beeping, your MB or CPU is busted.

First of all, clear the CMOS, RTC, BIOS or whatever your MB manufacturer calls it. There will be a jumper you need to short when cold booting your PC.

Right okay, I'll do that and report back when I have updates.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would pull out one pair of ram. They may have different timings and power requirements. Then clear CMOS. Either toggle the jumper or pull the power and pop the battery out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.