Must Have PC Games for a Newcomer

• 64 results
#51 Posted by HistoryInRust (6279 posts) -
#52 Posted by Adusrea (3 posts) -
#53 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

The Witcher 2 is a must if you ask me.

#54 Edited by SagaciousJones (143 posts) -

A Brief History of PC Gaming: 1990 - 2010

(right-click-->view image or open in a new tab to see it in full size)

The larger the game image, the more "important" the game. Try Steam or Good Old Games to find legitimate copies of the older stuff.

#55 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Killing Floor, Dragon Age Origins, Legend of Grimrock, make sure you pick up Gods and Kings or whatever for Civ V, because it's pretty awesome with that expansion, ArmA 2 Combined Operations, Warhammer 40k Dawn Of War II and friends, and plenty more. Any Valve or Blizzard game is always a decent choice.

@xMrSunshine: Man, people who make that argument are real frustrating. Just use some common sense and things about what they probably mean. I don't think the guy needs to fuckin' play Zork or SimCity2000.

Well, maybe Zork, but that's just because Zork is timeless. But still, you're fucking suggesting ArmA and the older OF games? With ArmA 3 around the corner, you're suggesting the original?

Just be useful and answer the question, don't be that jerk that answers a question like that. It doesn't help the person posting much. If they wanted a list of games with historical value, they would have asked for it.

#56 Posted by Raven10 (1743 posts) -

You are going to have to give more info than that. The PC has been around for 30 years. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of PC exclusives that were at one time or another worth playing. Do you want just modern games that are only on PC or ports of console games that are better on PC or any games that were good on PC ever?

#57 Posted by FrankieSpankie (228 posts) -

One game that I absolutely loved every minute of that I don't see listed: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Play through Deus Ex, it definitely is one of the greatest games of all time, if not THE greatest. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is the closest game I have ever played to the original Deus Ex. Awesome story, awesome gameplay, awesome everything really. It doesn't really get much love but everyone I know that has played it, has loved it.

#58 Edited by xMrSunshine (360 posts) -

@MordeaniisChaos: So you're saying just because there's a sequel coming people should ignore the previous ones? Yeah that totally makes sense, I mean, when have the earlier installments of a game ever been better than the later ones? It's always "newer is better" deal. Right. Besides I'm not going to recommend games that have not even been released (you also recommended Arma 2 so I fail to see what you're raving about). I know Arma 2 is good, I know it's out and I know people should play it if they think it's something they'd like. I added Operation Flashpoint because I know some people like that more and I can understand why. By the way, Arma is the franchise name and not the first Arma game which was Arma: Armed assault or Arma: Combat Operations in NA.

He asked for very unspecific recommendations (no time frame, genre, pointers to what he likes, examples, nothing) and I gave him some and now you're telling me my advice on this very subjective matter is not good enough? Get a load of your bullshit! I'm sure if he doesn't want to follow my advice he just doesn't.

#59 Posted by beeftothetaco (420 posts) -

Half-Life 1 and 2, Crysis+Warhead, any Command and Conquer title released before the 3rd one (although that one isn't bad), Diablo 2, Max Payne and Battlefield 1942+expansions, just to name a few.

#61 Posted by primalmaster (87 posts) -
#62 Posted by warxsnake (2639 posts) -

Theme Hospital 
Tie Fighter 
Wing Commander 4  
MechWarrior/Mech Commander 
Company of Heroes
Homeworld Cayaclysm 
Battlefield 3 
GTA 4 Carmageddon mod 
Red Alert 2
Starlancer 
World In Conflict  
Check indie websites as there are too many to list

#63 Edited by glyn (382 posts) -
  • Max Payne 2
  • Fear 1 (The a.i is still ridiculously good, nothing really touches it still imo)
  • Fear 2
  • Deus Ex
  • Civ 5

Theme Hospital

#64 Posted by mooncheese114 (15 posts) -

I'd pick up any games with an active modding community

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.