Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

My 1st build(only plans) Is it good so far?

RedLoopz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Case: FRACTAL Define R4

CPU Cooler: SCYTHE Mugen 4

Graphics card: ASUS GTX770-DC2OC-2GD5

Processor: AMD FX-8350

Power Supply: Seasonic M12II-620

Motherboard: GIGABYTE 990FX A-UD3

Storage: Western Digital Black 1000GB 64MB Cache

Monitor: 23" Dell U2312HM UltraSharp

Speakers: Zalman ZM-S200

Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder X4

Final Price: 1340.18 euros

StressedOutCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

whats the intended use?

RedLoopz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andmm said:

I'd go with an AMD video card. They perform the same and most of the newer pc games are coming optmized for it. Nvidia cards are overpriced. the HD 7990 is faster than the Titan :)

out of budget.

Avatar image for deactivated-6342b5d558672
    deactivated-6342b5d558672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Case, CPU, Monitor: good choices. The AMD FX83xx are actually awesome for gaming. Check the Thermalright Macho as an option for the CPU cooler - it's comparably priced and performs a bit better than the Mugen 4. As for the GPU, compare with the 7970 GHz Edition - those dropped a good amount in price recently (at least in europe) and pretty much are equally fast. PSU: you won't need a 620W psu in this machine unless you plan to go SLI/CF anytime (which is almost never a good idea). SeaSonic is a good choice though.

No SSD?

andmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redloopz: Not telling you to buy the 7990. Go with the 770 equivalent, I bet you it's cheaper. You can't go wrong with a HD 7970 3gb model (770 is newer than the 7970 and might perform a bit better but the 7970 is a lot cheaper and you get pretty much the same performance).

I had the 6970 and it ran everything maxed out 1080p without a hitch.

Plus, dont you want all that Tress Fx? :)

You already went with an AMD processor, might as well go for the total package. I use an AMD machine here as well I can't complain.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

@andmm said:

@redloopz: Not telling you to buy the 7990. Go with the 770 equivalent, I bet you it's cheaper. You can't go wrong with a HD 7970 3gb model (770 is newer than the 7970 and might perform a bit better but the 7970 is a lot cheaper and you get pretty much the same performance).

You already went with an AMD processor, might as well go for the total package. I use an AMD machine here as well I can't complain.

"Tress Fx" works with any card.

Go Nvidia over AMD for driver support reasons on the GPU side. On the CPU side, Intel just makes higher quality, more efficient chips. You get what you pay for.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean you can get the 7970 for at least 100$ cheaper, take the extra money and put it into a higher grade PSU. (I think 500 or 550 is what you need, and 750 if you want to crossfirex). But you could get something rated gold for 100bux more and have a more reliable power source and have a graphics card that's almost just as good.

andmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By andmm

@jjweatherman: Tress Fx is optmized for AMD cards but yes, it does work in any card.

@jjweatherman said:

Go Nvidia over AMD for driver support reasons on the GPU side. On the CPU side, Intel just makes higher quality, more efficient chips. You get what you pay for.

Same old story. I bet you never used an AMD machine and/or used some of the old ATI Radeon cards.... and I'm gonna call bullshit.

I haven't had A single driver problem with any game that I played. That is just something NVIDIA users tells themselves to justify paying over a 100 more for their cards. I bought my 6970 back when BF3 was launched so I could play it maxed out and even then I didn't had any performance issues with a brand new game.

Have you watched any of the GB pc quick looks? They use Nvidia cards in the office and usually have a problem running the game or some wierd performance issue. Again, in my experience with this card, haven't had a *single* issue.

As for CPU, never and I mean EVER a game came even close to max out cpu usage in my machine and I have an older Phenom II 1100t six core processor. It may be more efficient but as far as performance goes you're not gonna use any of the extra horse power.

Just don't buy into this Intel/Nvidia crap. It's the same case for both of them. They are more expensive and perform about the same as an AMD equivalent. They might be more efficient, but if this machine is targeted at playing games you wont have a problem going for AMD.

Its not a coincidence that the three next gent consoles (PS4,XBONE, WIIU) use AMD gpus.

Edit: Plus, what about RAM? If I were you I'd go with 2x4gb DRR3 Corsair Vengeance and later buy another kit. 8gb is enough already for pretty much every application but I'd go with 16gb later on.

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@andmm said:

I have a 7970, not even that "plays everything without a hitch", not even BF3, but neither does a 770, depending on what you are demanding of them.

Nvidia has their physx and and AMD has their tress fx, i've done fine without physx on my last graphics card, but honestly, tress fx looks pretty shitty at times as well.
    I wouldnt call it a selling point at the moment.

And since AMD are less douchey than Nvidia on that subject, Tress actually works on nvidia cards as well, but one could argue that AMD has to make it available for everyone in order for it to catch on.

"Tress Fx" works with any card.

Dont really think drivers are an issue anymore, but i'd buy a 770 for the performance if i was buying something right now.regarding the cpu's I dont know about higher quality, intels are more efficient, for sure. but both companies make cpu's that keep on beating way past their feasible use date.

I'd buy a 4670k.

I mean you can get the 7970 for at least 100$ cheaper, take the extra money and put it into a higher grade PSU. (I think 500 or 550 is what you need, and 750 if you want to crossfirex). But you could get something rated gold for 100bux more and have a more reliable power source and have a graphics card that's almost just as good.

Seasonic makes great stuff, bronze is fine, this build still has more room to grow in performance, no time to waste $100 bucks on slightly more efficient power supplies.

@andmm said:

@jjweatherman: Tress Fx is optmized for AMD cards but yes, it does work in any card.

@jjweatherman said:

Same old story. I bet you never used an AMD machine and/or used some of the old ATI Radeon cards.... and I'm gonna call bullshit.

I haven't had A single driver problem with any game that I played. That is just something NVIDIA users tells themselves to justify paying over a 100 more for their cards. I bought my 6970 back when BF3 was launched so I could play it maxed out and even then I didn't had any performance issues with a brand new game.

Have you watched any of the GB pc quick looks? They use Nvidia cards in the office and usually have a problem running the game or some wierd performance issue. Again, in my experience with this card, haven't had a *single* issue.

As for CPU, never and I mean EVER a game came even close to max out cpu usage in my machine and I have an older Phenom II 1100t six core processor. It may be more efficient but as far as performance goes you're not gonna use any of the extra horse power.

Just don't buy into this Intel/Nvidia crap. It's the same case for both of them. They are more expensive and perform about the same as an AMD equivalent. They might be more efficient, but if this machine is targeted at playing games you wont have a problem going for AMD.

Its not a coincidence that the three next gent consoles (PS4,XBONE, WIIU) use AMD gpus.

Edit: Plus, what about RAM? If I were you I'd go with 2x4gb DRR3 Corsair Vengeance and later buy another kit. 8gb is enough already for pretty much every application but I'd go with 16gb later on.

The reason the console manufacturers go with AMD is because AMD is the only company that can make an apu inhouse, nvidia can make a graphics card, intel and ibm can make cpu's, but AMD can make both.Probably at a competitive price as well.

I highly doubt that AMD graphics cards will get a big edge on Nvidia because of this however.

Regarding Giant Bomb's pc issues, if you listened to the latest bombcast you heard that Vinny went and bought a new graphics card because his machine stuttered in SR4.
    It kept stuttering after he had bought a new one, so then, afterwards, he decided to check his temp, finding out that his cpu was pinned at 100C.

You cant blame Nvidia for any problems they have if GB rolls like that.

Intels cpu's far ecceed what AMD's are capable of dishing out, On the graphics front, AMD is totally in the game, but on the cpu, they currently dont stand a change.
    Their cpus might be enough for games to run decently, but if you get into a situation where you need more juice on the cpu side, chances are, you're in trouble if you're on an AMD rig.

BF3 multiplayer is possibly such a case, especially if you have multiple high end gpu's.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Look OP, ignoring the little fanboy flamewar that's going on in this thread, you have a pretty good build there. It'll run your games pretty flawlessly, at least for a couple of years, until this next gen catches up, then you just upgrade a little, and BAM, you're ahead of the game again. So yes, you have a decent build there, and at a decent price. Have fun!

justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Well, all I can say is that this thread escalated quickly.

As for your build. It's looking pretty good. Me, personally, would go with a Haswell i5 (they use less power, so in theory should run cooler, and seem to have better performance) but your Octocore AMD processor should do alright. One thing to I've seem to come across is that if you go with an Intel processor, the Motherboards are generally more expensive. That's not to say you can't find a similarly priced Intel motherboard, but usually you're giving up features when comparing to a similarly priced AMD MoBo. Just an observation.

As for GPU, it depends on your budget. I'd say go with a GTX770, it's a hard to beat card for price:performance. If you want to go cheaper, look at an nVidia GTX760/AMD HD7950

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The build is fine, the only thing I'd suggest you consider a 2tb hdd instead of 1tb

Ignore the flame war, the graphics card you have selected is fine, people who get over defensive over AMD are literally the sort of people who throw around phrases like 'Evil' 'Better' and 'Trash'.... the GTX770 is a graphics card capable of what you want it to do... which is play games. Also from experience I find nVidea do driver updates and give better support than ATi cards.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.