Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

My Laptop Is Running Loud

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Vinchenzo

So it's usually hot and the fan is running at a pretty strng speed, despite me only browsing the internet. The only applications I have running are Zune, Skype, MSN, Google Chrome, and other miscellaneous programs that don't use much power at all. Basically, I'm not running any games so I think it should definitely be quieter. Under the options everytime I turn on the laptop I change it to "Power Saver" which quiets it a bit, but not enough obviously. Upon a quick Google search someone recommended some canned air and using it on any venting that may have collected dust and such. Any other recommendations that I can change on my computer? Is canned air the best way to go? Just going to throw my basics out there... 

Laptop: Asus-made gaming laptop (which I'm somewhat regretting because I don't game too much these days, especially not on PC) 

Uh, yeah, if you need anything else just ask. Thanks.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Fallen189

Have you checked your fan temperatures at all with any software? Do you know the exact model of your laptop, so you can see the usual temps when it's idle and under load?

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#3  Edited By Vinchenzo

I have not checked my fan temps but it's part  of Asus' G71 series.

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Damien

I vacuumed my laptop's vents and it is much quieter than it was before, so I would suggest trying the canned air.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Fallen189
    Install this

Then report back on your temperatures. It might just be an overeaction.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.