Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

My video card just died

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Time_Lord

So my video card just died a Radeon 5870 any sugetsion for what to replace it with? it was a good card lasted me about two years. i want to spend about 200 to 300 on a card any advice would be good.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By inkerman

Oh dam! I have a 5870, about the same age, any idea what caused it? Tom's Hardware suggests the Radeon 7870 for $290.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Giantstalker

Any Nvidia 670 card, I've had several bad experiences with ATI/AMD cards in the past.

EDIT: Did not notice your price range, go for a 660 instead. Almost as good, considerably cheaper.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By PillClinton

GTX 660 Ti for $300-$330, depending on brand, overclock, etc. Just came out, it's really good.

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Time_Lord

@Inkerman: it was coming up with an error , video card drivers are corrupted and sucsefully recovered it was doing this for a month or so then today bsod and is no longer reconized on my machine. Even after re installing the drivers etc so I might try the card you recommended I plan to build a new pc when the next lot of consoles launch which will be awesome.

ze_ro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ze_ro

GTX 670...or the 660 Ti if you don't wanna take the extra step

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By asurastrike

The Geforce GTX 660 TI just came out and it's supposed to be the "sweet spot" card. I'm planning on getting one this friday. They range from 299 to 329.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

660 Ti. The highest-performance one is the Gigabyte brand card with the "Windforce" cooler.

I should also mention that NVidia is doing a promotion where if you buy a 600-series card you get Borderlands 2 for free. Pretty neat.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PillClinton

@Asurastrike: Check out Gigabyte's 660 Ti OC. I actually just bought one myself. It's got a pretty substantial base overclock and a big but quiet cooler. In Anandtech's tests with three 660 Ti's it consistently got some of the highest performance numbers and lowest noise and temperature levels.

@Sticky_Pennies: Ha, you said it before I did. ;P And yeah, that Borderlands 2 offer is pretty cool.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AiurFlux

GTX 570. The price on them has fallen below the 300 dollar range and they're really good cards. If you have to get an AMD then you could probably get a good 6000 series card for under 300 as well. Although I will say this, nVidia has better driver support. My buddy bought RAGE when it first came out and I saw how terrible the driver support was for AMD. Things like that shouldn't happen. Ever. At all.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@Time_Lord: I agree with everyone else: Absolutely get a 600 series GPU. I'd suggest a 670 if you want to keep up with the next generation, it's worth the extra price. A 680 would probably be overkill. A 660ti would be good for you too though, as long as you make sure to get an SLI capable mobo you'll be able to make it last real long with a pretty cheap upgrade in several years.

Also, I'm glad my 5770 hasn't totally died yet. It was used by a friend when I bought it a couple years ago, and has been barely scraping by this whole time. Luckily, my new build is going to smoke this one, a GTX 680 with lots of equal components and SI capability for the future, so I'm soon going to be relieved of my shitty card. Now is a great time to need a new video card, because seriously, the 600 series is amazing. Quiet, cool, and a lot of raw power, plus some really cool features you will never see on an ATI card, not to mention MCH better driver support and way fewer compatibility issues.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By asurastrike

@PillClinton said:

@Asurastrike: Check out Gigabyte's 660 Ti OC. I actually just bought one myself. It's got a pretty substantial base overclock and a big but quiet cooler. In Anandtech's tests with three 660 Ti's it consistently got some of the highest performance numbers and lowest noise and temperature levels.

@Sticky_Pennies: Ha, you said it before I did. ;P And yeah, that Borderlands 2 offer is pretty cool.

It's been in my Amazon shopping cart since the 16th, but I don't get paid until this friday. lol

Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Tsoglani

For that price I suggest the HD7850 or 7870, or for Nvidia the 670/680. I have a 7850 and it has been good to me so far, and is also very easily overclocked so it performs nearly on par with the cards above it.

Most problems I have heard of regarding the 7800 series has been driver issues, but I have had none since updating to CCC drivers 12.6, and apparently 12.7 will be even better for the 7800 series.

If you can afford to spend a little more though I would probably go the 7970.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.