Need a mousing surfaces suggestions: low friction that stays!

#1 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

I really need a good suggestion on a mousing surface that has really smooth glide and as little friction as possible without wearing down. I'm super picky about the way my mouse feels and I want something that I can use without even knowing it's there, basically. Any suggestions?

#2 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

the oiled back of a fat girl

#3 Posted by SamStrife (1286 posts) -
#4 Posted by jking47 (1215 posts) -

I have heard good things about http://www.func.net/ mouse pads, though never used one myself. I just have some generic black one, but its pretty damn great, one of the only soft ones I have had where the material does not peel or anything. Sorry I can't tell you what brand it is, it has no logo/markings at all.

#5 Posted by RenegadeDoppelganger (414 posts) -

Razer Scarab works pretty well for me. Large, slick, never budges.

#6 Posted by Optix12 (621 posts) -

My table has never failed me

#7 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@Optix12 said:

My table has never failed me

My desk is showing wear and tear after like 2 days of use, and it already feels pretty terrible, unforunately.

@RenegadeDoppelganger: The thing I'm concerned about is the pad lasting. For whatever reason, every mousepad I've had has worn down pretty damn fast. Feels fine early on but it doesn't take long to lose it's texture and go to shit.

I'm trying to find an I2 somewhere but most of them seem to either be over $100 or Pink, neither sounds terribly appealing to me v.v

#8 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

I find it cheaper to just take several wads of cash and glue them together.

#9 Posted by Optix12 (621 posts) -

@MordeaniisChaos: Thats a shame both about the table and the pad. Well I obtained a cheap steelseries diablo 3 (not played the game, it was cheap) QCK (i think) medium pad for half a year now and its still near mint condition.

#10 Posted by TooWalrus (13237 posts) -
#11 Edited by Branthog (5583 posts) -

In most situations, mouse pads are no longer remotely necessary. You have no ball to require traction. All you need is a smooth surface that has visual imperfections that a laser or optical sensor can track. In my case, the surface of both of my 3'x8' desks are covered in a dark formica that has a pattern. The mouse could not possibly find a smoother surface to move on and the pattern provides enough variation for the sensors to pick up on (you don't even need a pattern -- even just small imperfections like the grain of wood or small granular variations in a solid color would be fine). I've spent about twelve hours per day every day of the week for the past fifteen years at my desk with a mouse and for the last ten of those, I haven't bothered with a mouse pad.

Of course, you may want something additional in the wrist area, so you're not moving your wrist around directly on a hard surface all day long, but that's a different issue. Oh, and one thing you could run into in going without a surface is that it may wear-away your mouse-skates faster -- but you can always replace those and when I say "faster", I mean it'll still take two or three years before you have to stick on a new set.

That said -- if you really like a mouse pad, go for it -- they're just not particularly beneficial anymore. Not even for gaming, I'd say. Unless you have a really shitty surface on your desk to contend with. In fact, I really hate mouse pads, now -- because they start to look worn and ugly fairly quickly and decent ones that are as good of a surface as just plain formica or glass or something tend to be $20+.

#12 Edited by Devildoll (899 posts) -

I personally use a steelseries qck+, its big enough (450 x 400 x 2 mm / 17,7 x 15,7 x 0,08 in), and works.

@jking47: func are legendary. they were the brand of choice back in the day, haven't heard anything about em lately though, but apparently they are in the process of making a comeback, starting off with a big presence at dreamhack the other month.

#13 Posted by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.