Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Need GB PC people to help a poor 15 year old child

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By dbz1995

I've decided that I'm going to upgrade my PC (a Dell Dimension 3000) so that it can play some decent games. I'm going to buy a 1GB RAM and a graphics card, but I've got some questions I need to ask:

• What is FSB and how do you find out how much FSB your computer has
    • What's better: Radeon X800 or Geforce 6800
    • Will a 1GB RAM Radeon X800/Geforce 6800 2.8Ghz processor Windows 7 Dell Dimension 3000 be good enough to buy most computer games that an average PC gamer would want

Thanks for the help!
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By dbz1995

Where are the PC guys? HitmanAgent, where art thou?

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

That build sucks.

Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Raymayne

Jesus you really think 1GB is a smart move? Get more RAM. Always more RAM. 0_0

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Pinworm45

I'm sorry but I'd be surprised if that thing could run Half-Life 1. That thing will most definitely not play games an average PC gamer would want to play.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MikkaQ
    @InfamousBIG said:
    " That build sucks. "
    Dude come on, I don't even think they sell x800s anymore, I have an x850's box in my room from like six years ago. 
     It's AGP, for chrissakes. I smell a troll.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@XII_Sniper said:
    " @InfamousBIG said:
    " That build sucks. "
    Dude come on, I don't even think they sell x800s anymore, I have an x850's box in my room from like six years ago.  It's AGP, for chrissakes. I smell a troll. "
    Probably, but a bad one.
    Chirag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Chirag4

That's definitely not going to run anything close to a modern game.

WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

What are the current specs of the machine? Can't offer much advice unless I know what's inside it.

FSB means Front Side Bus, you don't measure 'how much of it' your computer has, it's just a bus that transfers data between the CPU and the motherboard. Don't worry about it.

Don't go and buy a GPU that old, it'll probably cost more than an Nvidia 8000 series, just because of the scarcity of them now.

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
    deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mad ramz

Skogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Skogen
    @Chirag4 said:
    " That's definitely not going to run anything close to a modern game. "
    This.
    I don't think a "15 year old child" should try to get into PC gaming unless they have a bottomless wallet.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Pinworm45
    @InfamousBIG said:
    " @XII_Sniper said:
    " @InfamousBIG said:
    " That build sucks. "
    Dude come on, I don't even think they sell x800s anymore, I have an x850's box in my room from like six years ago.  It's AGP, for chrissakes. I smell a troll. "
    Probably, but a bad one. "
    He obviously is, and I suspect he's sitting there snickering, convinced he has outwitted the internet by tricking a few people into thinking he's a moron. Oh boy.
    Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Pinworm45 said:
    " @InfamousBIG said:
    " @XII_Sniper said:
    " @InfamousBIG said:
    " That build sucks. "
    He obviously is, and I suspect he's sitting there snickering, convinced he has outwitted the internet by tricking a few people into thinking he's a moron. Oh boy. "
    HAHAHAHA HE'S SO FUNNY!!!!!!!
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MikkaQ

@InfamousBIG
    said:

" @XII_Sniper said:

" @InfamousBIG said:

" That build sucks. "
    It's funny because I have an extremely similar configuration of this proposed build in my garage right now. A gig of RAM, that X850, and a 2.6 Ghz pentium 4. It's been there since like... Oblivion came out. 

So that was an easy one for me to call out. 

@Pinworm45 said:
    " I'm sorry but I'd be surprised if that thing could run Half-Life 1. That thing will most definitely not play games an average PC gamer would want to play. "

As an owner of something similar, it could actually run Oblivion on medium. That's about the last thing it could play. Battlefield 2 works okay too. It's trapped 5 years ago hahaha. 
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By eroticfishcake

It's a good idea to mention your budget and what type of build you're aiming for as well. These days, 2GB of RAM is pretty minimal really so jumping up to 4Gigs is probably a better idea provided you get a faster processor. It's been a long time since I've done any PC building though so I can't offer much I'm afraid.

Avatar image for nikoalexander57
    NikoAlexander57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NikoAlexander57

I'd be surprised if that thing could run IE4, and that's not even a game. You need more RAM. Way more RAM.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By eroticfishcake

There's more criticising then advising in here. You know what? You're better off asking some of the lads over at Tested. They know a lot more about PCs then most people here.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Geno
    @eroticfishcake said:
    " There's more criticising then advising in here. You know what? You're better off asking some of the lads over at Tested. They know a lot more about PCs then most people here. "
    Most of the people in the Tested community actually know less about PCs than people here sadly. The top poster there apparently doesn't even know that graphics cards have generations, last time I talked to him. 

Anyways, pretty sure the OP is trolling. You can't even buy those parts anymore, and even if you could you would get less than console performance (the components he listed are circa 2004). 
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @dbz1995 said:
    "Where are the PC guys? HitmanAgent, where art thou? "

I hope this was a joke thread, FSB is front side bus, bandwidth type of stuff. You can find this info by figuring out the model of your motherboard and looking up the info for the FSB.  

I actually owned an ati 850 pro. Yes, I actually bought an ati product before, even though I will never again. I even owned a 5500FX or whatever it was called. The 6800 was a bit more powerful than the 850 pro, or I think, can't remember such old technology. The ps3 uses a 256mb 7800GTX, RSX whatever you want to call it, it's like totally weak and this card is weaker so you can't play any pc games on it. I mean with the 850 pro, I couldn't even get more than 20 frames for half life 2 before and how I can get like 250 frames or something for my rig and the gpu isn't that powerful. I have to reinstall the game to find out. I don't know if you came from a time machine into the future, however you can't play any pc games today with that even at lower resolutions and settings. Besides I don't even think it uses shader model 3.0 which most games will probally use.

Two gigs of ram is minium for vista for example just to run the operating system, you should probally get like 4 gigs at least. I'm not sure which version of windows 7 you have, if it's the 64 bit version, then use more ram because you can. Lastly tested.com, the site where it's all about mac products, so they don't know anything about pc gaming. It's macs this, macs that, only like 7% of the population uses a mac. However i'm sure they will help you at least to answer a few questions, then talk about macs again.

I also felt sort of bad recently because this guy on the forum said he was on a $80 budget for a gpu, I suggested he get a card that's a $130 budget and it will cause him less trouble. He called me unhelpful for that, then I just told him to get any trash he sees on bestbuy or newegg for less than a $100 and it would be better than his ghetto gpu. Honestly I think the op is like joking. However if you want a better videocard, that's something this forum can help you with, with a better videocard you of course will need a better power watt supply at least. It's really easy to change. Well I tried answering some of your questions and don't think every pc just because you have one, will automatically turn into a great game machine. You can't expect to put a body kit on a car with a slightly faster engine and expect it to go fast when everything else is severly bottlenecked.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Pinworm45 said:
    " @InfamousBIG said:
    " @XII_Sniper said:
    " @InfamousBIG said:
    " That build sucks. "
    He obviously is, and I suspect he's sitting there snickering, convinced he has outwitted the internet by tricking a few people into thinking he's a moron. Oh boy. "
    This was executed flawlessly. Bravo, InfamousBIG.
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Pessh

He's not joking, you're all assholes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.