Need help deciding which of these two laptops are better.

#1 Edited by JJOR64 (18995 posts) -

So one of my Co-Workers is leaving for college next month. Long story short, he has a choice between two laptops from Nebraska Furniture Mart that are within his price range. He wants one that isn't too bad at handling PC games. He first showed me this one:

http://www.nfm.com/DetailsPage.aspx?productid=38425054

We look around on the site and I found this one which seems better:

http://www.nfm.com/DetailsPage.aspx?productid=38440475

From looking at the two of these, the 2nd seems better. It has a better video card for gaming and is also a little cheaper. The drawbacks that I see of the Toshiba laptop is the screen resolution, as well has no VGA or DVI ports which isn't a big factor.

So I thought I would ask my fellow bombers on some input between these two. Reason I'm asking is that I'm not very familiar with Radeon stuff.

Thanks.

#2 Posted by sqrabbit (113 posts) -

Neither of those video cards are probably great for running a game in 1080p (or even 720p) anyways. Both HDDs are 5400rpm. The Toshiba one seems better.

#3 Posted by VACkillers (1063 posts) -

Im thinking the Toshiba, has more memory which seems like a newer graphics card and a better processor...

#4 Edited by TruthTellah (9124 posts) -

So, they have to buy from there?

If so, I'd say it depends. 1080p is pretty nice, but then, 720p is fine for a 15.6in display. If the size matters, get the bigger one, but I can confirm that the specs of the Toshiba are somewhat similar to my own laptop. And it can handle most modern games on medium at least.

#5 Posted by JJOR64 (18995 posts) -
#6 Posted by TruthTellah (9124 posts) -

@jjor64 said:

@truthtellah: sadly, yeah, he has to get it from there.

Well, then since those are the two you've shown me, it just depends on whether the size of the screen matters a lot to him. 1080p is nice for a 17in screen, but 720p is fine(if not preferable) for a 15.6in screen. And he likely won't be playing games at over 720p on it. So, I'd recommend the Toshiba. But if 17in matters to him and he isn't planning on it being too portable, the other laptop seems fine. I haven't had a good history with mobile ATI cards, but maybe it'll be fine.

#7 Edited by JJOR64 (18995 posts) -
@truthtellah said:

@jjor64 said:

@truthtellah: sadly, yeah, he has to get it from there.

Well, then since those are the two you've shown me, it just depends on whether the size of the screen matters a lot to him. 1080p is nice for a 17in screen, but 720p is fine(if not preferable) for a 15.6in screen. And he likely won't be playing games at over 720p on it. So, I'd recommend the Toshiba. But if 17in matters to him and he isn't planning on it being too portable, the other laptop seems fine. I haven't had a good history with mobile ATI cards, but maybe it'll be fine.

I think I will tell him to get the Toshiba one. The Nvidia card seems a little better, processor is better, has more ram, and 1TB hard drive which is nice. He knows he wont be playing a lot of games at high settings, so that is OK with him. Of course he will use it mostly for college crap, but having a decent gaming machine is nice for him.

Thanks for the input people.

#8 Posted by envane (1163 posts) -

id say the sony in this case , since both are about the same (i.e crap for gaming) i would ignore their gaming capabilities and look at other features , in this case the size and resolution of the sony vaio monitor would be better for watching things on , browsing , and also for plugging into tvs etc

#9 Posted by JJOR64 (18995 posts) -

@envane said:

id say the sony in this case , since both are about the same (i.e crap for gaming) i would ignore their gaming capabilities and look at other features , in this case the size and resolution of the sony vaio monitor would be better for watching things on , browsing , and also for plugging into tvs etc

I think he would rather have it a little better and playing games, but I will talk to him and see what he wants more tomorrow.

#10 Edited by Devildoll (881 posts) -

@jjor64: the toshiba has a new haswell cpu, and the 740m that is in it seems slightly better than the 7650.

go through this link and scroll down a bit for game benches on the 740m.the low resolution on the toshiba will further help in making games playable, but ugh, 1366x768... that's disgusting to use, so little space for windows and stuff.

#11 Edited by RollingZeppelin (1978 posts) -

My friend has a Vaio, it's a good looking piece of shit. Would not recommend.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.