Need help finding good free PC games.

#1 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Don't tell me about free PC games that most players know about like Cave Story. I'd also appreciate it if these games are good material to commentate over. I mostly need a batch of games that can be good material to commentate over. I want to look over lesser known indie titles, or at least attempt to. So help me out please and try to describe what kind of game it is. Thanks duders.

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Kata-

@Phatmac said:

I mostly need a batch of games that can be good material to commentate over.

....I've got nothing.

#3 Posted by Branwulf (408 posts) -

Nitronic Rush is pretty awesome, i'd recommend using a 360 controller if you can though.

http://nitronic-rush.com/

#4 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

PROOFREAD!

When I was younger I was enamored by a game called Iji. In retrospect the writing is, well, atrocious. It's still quite a good action game, and the actual plot and USAGE of writing are fantastic.

#5 Posted by n11n12 (101 posts) -

The Battle for Wesnoth.

Fantasy themed turn based strategy game. Easy to learn, not overly complicated, but often brutal and unforgiving. Hundreds of hours of content.

#7 Posted by SSully (4230 posts) -
#8 Posted by Flabbergastrate (275 posts) -
#9 Edited by crusader8463 (14423 posts) -

piratebay.or.... Oh you mean those kind of free games. http://armorgames.com/ has a ton of them. Also, TF2 is the best free game.

#10 Posted by joey (984 posts) -
#11 Posted by me3639 (1790 posts) -

http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/121/1218358p1.html

(Damn thing never lets me ebbed the link)

#12 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

Steam has a free to play section.

#13 Posted by Seedofpower (3937 posts) -

@ShadowSkill11 said:

Steam has a free to play section.
#14 Posted by BaneFireLord (2949 posts) -
@n11n12 said:

The Battle for Wesnoth.

Fantasy themed turn based strategy game. Easy to learn, not overly complicated, but often brutal and unforgiving. Hundreds of hours of content.

I second this. Wesnoth is an excellent title and probably has more content than Skyrim and Fallout NV put together. 
#15 Posted by Mitch0712 (478 posts) -

@Phatmac: Tribes Ascend, Team Fortress 2, Spiral Knights, League of Legends.

#16 Posted by Kidavenger (3581 posts) -
#17 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -
#18 Posted by Chemin (632 posts) -

FREE TO PL- no, wait.

#19 Posted by CheapPoison (737 posts) -

Wesnoth is pretty awesome.

Can't really say much beyond that. But wesnoth sure is cool and pretty unknown i think.

also Dig-N-Rig is pretty interesting for a very short session.

#20 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
#21 Posted by cryptic_code (89 posts) -
#22 Posted by JoMate (241 posts) -

@BaneFireLord said:

@n11n12 said:

The Battle for Wesnoth.

I second this. Wesnoth is an excellent title and probably has more content than Skyrim and Fallout NV put together.

I third this, used to play it all the time as a kid before I had money, a windows pc and graphical power to play more common games. It even has some fun multiplayer modes and there is also an ios and android version these days.

#23 Posted by Mikemcn (6996 posts) -

Ace of Spades- Minecraft esque Shooter with voxel graphics and 32 player multiplayer.

Arma II's multiplayer component is free as well, it's the demo version of the game on Steam

#24 Posted by CountMacula (235 posts) -

Not sure how well known ABA games are but there are some gems on that site. Torus trooper and Mucade in particular drained more of my time than I care to talk about.

#25 Posted by BiG_Weasel (524 posts) -

Just keep an eye on Steam. Some of my favorite free games are on there.

#26 Posted by ripsaw117 (174 posts) -
#28 Edited by Rorie (3101 posts) -

Warframe's kind of interesting if you like shooters. I reviewed it for IGN if you want to google that.

Staff
#29 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1809 posts) -
#30 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1576 posts) -

Papers, Please is right up your alley, then. As the site states, the game is currently a work-in-progress and thus isn't feature-complete, but it's free, you'll have plenty to talk about after you're done playing what's there, and it's like nothing else out there. Sorry if this has already been mentioned; I skipped the topic as best I could.

http://dukope.com/

#31 Posted by Daveyo520 (6852 posts) -

I like WOrld of Tanks, Hawken and have started to play Dota 2 and it is pretty cool.

#32 Posted by TooWalrus (13232 posts) -

The GBCP guys can do a lets-play of System Shock 2. Everyone can remote access in so they can watch, talk over Skype, record the whole thing... that sounds fun- everyone talks up that game, but I've never actually played it.

HA! Like I've got time for that...

#34 Posted by Ethan_Raiden (343 posts) -

DOTA 2

#35 Posted by Twinsunian (34 posts) -

Ib, Space Funeral, Middens, The Witch's House, OFF

#36 Posted by audioBusting (1611 posts) -
#37 Edited by Dylstew (20 posts) -

Here are some good old school /fast paced FPS that are free:

Xonotic, Nexuiz classic, Warsow, Fortress Forever(NO IT"S NOT A TF2 RIP OFF), Tribes 2, tribes:Ascend, Quake Live.

Also, team fortress 2 but that's pretty obvious.

Xonotic, fortress forever, Nexuiz classic, Warsow and tribes 2 are totally free. No free2play model, they're fully free.

#38 Edited by Schiavini (6 posts) -

@mikemcn: Actually, Ace of Spades is now a paid game.

#39 Edited by KingdanglerBK (138 posts) -

MARVEL Heroes!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.