Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Need Help, First PC build.

notlupus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By notlupus

I've decided to bypass both the PS4 and Xbox One this fall and make the transition to PC gaming. Least until there are some exclusives that are "need to play" on either. I'm looking for something that will run smooth on a decent size tv ( 27" now) but upgrading to a 46 - 50 later. These are the goals that I set out with,

must,

- run cool

- would like to outperform PS4/Xbox graphics and keep decent high quality graphics for 3 years if possible.

- somewhat quiet

- not need any new parts for a good 1 1/2 years

- be 1,500 or less (negotiable up to 1,700 range) I realize that there is initially a large investment. I am looking for something that will last for around 3-4 years on high settings. I'm looking for quality and a good shelf life for gaming.

- support wireless /wired internet connection

This is what I have so far, looking for suggestions and alternatives for what I need and what I have.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1J7ve

Thanks in advance

-Dave

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Your build looks good so far.

For the motherboard, I would go with either the Asus Z87-Plus or the Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H. If you want to up the budget a bit, the Asus Maximus VI Hero or the Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H are worthy upgrades for $50-60 more.

For the PSU, I would recommend the Seasonic 650W SS-650KM. If you plan on going dual GPU later down the line, you should get the Seasonic 850W X-850.

Troispoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Troispoint

The i7-4770k is overkill as it cost 100$ more than the i5-4670k for barely noticeable performance increase in gaming currently. You should put that 100$ elsewhere on your build, like on an aftermarket CPU cooler, because you'll want to take advantage of the unlocked CPU from the K versions. And the stock cooler just won't do a good job keeping it cool when overclocking. You could go with a cheap but still very good Hyper 212 Evo at about 35$ (I have an i5-3570k with it and I can overclock it at 4.4 Ghz with temps that won't go over 60 celcius in most games), or go all the way with liquid cooling with the Corsair H100i at 100$.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman

The i7-4770k is overkill as it cost 100$ more than the i5-4670k for barely noticeable performance increase in gaming currently. You should put that 100$ elsewhere on your build, like on an aftermarket CPU cooler, because you'll want to take advantage of the unlocked CPU from the K versions. And the stock cooler just won't do a good job keeping it cool when overclocking. You could go with a cheap but still very good Hyper 212 Evo at about 35$ (I have an i5-3570k with it and I can overclock it at 4.4 Ghz with temps that won't go over 60 celcius in most games), or go all the way with liquid cooling with the Corsair H100i at 100$.

Yeah, I'd agree with this.

I like the rest of your build, though. That's a nice case, and I kinda wish I'd gotten it when I built my PC a little while back.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#5  Edited By Slag

@notlupus: I just bought that exact case in my build I made in August, It's pretty great.

The front can pop off if you whack it too hard but other than that It does everything I wanted. Easy to work in with cables and it's very quiet.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@troispoint said:

Yeah, I'd agree with this.

I like the rest of your build, though. That's a nice case, and I kinda wish I'd gotten it when I built my PC a little while back.

I will also agree. Unless you're doing video editing stick with the i5-4670k. Also check this site out if you need anymore help. Was a godsend for me in my build.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Do you have a power supply?

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By TheHBK

For a graphics solution, may I recommend going with a couple of GTX 760's in SLI ($250 each). The benchmarks show that two of those cards outperform the GTX 780 handily. This will definitely have you beating the consoles no problem. Or just get one because it should handle everything right now well and just put in another when it is cheaper later on to get that boost. But that 7970 is a nice card.

You can see here how the SLI configuration for the 760's compares to a Titan.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_760_sli_review,16.html

Dacnomaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Dacnomaniac

In regards to the TV. It's not the size that matters, more the resolution.

notlupus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Mpn8

I updated and found some more working cash.

nnotdead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.