Need help from the PC Master Race.

#1 Edited by hwy_61 (943 posts) -

Alright.

So, I'm in the market for a brand new GPU, and I'd love to get some feedback from you fine folks. I'm still rockin a 8800 GTX, and I'm feeling like I could retire the poor thing; it's served me well over the years. I'm playing a lot of BF3 on low settings, and I'd like to up the ante with a little more power. I'm looking to play games like Witcher 2, ect.

These are my Specs:

620W PSU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139002

i7-920

Case Dimensions: 19.61" x 8.43" x 19.53"

Resolution : 1680 x 1050

GPU: 8800 GTX - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130072

Not sure what else to include...OH, PRICE. I'm honestly only looking to spend anywhere from $150-180.

Thanks y'all!

EDIT!!!: I'd also like to add that while I prefer Nvidia, I am open to AMD recommendations. I just gravitate more toward Nvidia due to friends of mine having trouble to AMD drivers and what not.

#2 Posted by believer258 (12083 posts) -

You could spring a little more money and get a GTX 560.

#3 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

Taste me you will see

More is all you need

You're dedicated to

How I'm killing you

Come crawling faster

Obey your master

Your life burns faster

Obey your master

Master

#4 Posted by hwy_61 (943 posts) -

@Funkydupe: Thanks, I guess?

#5 Posted by AlisterCat (5698 posts) -

Yeah... don't get a 8800GTX. That was an amazing card. 4 years ago.

#7 Posted by Winternet (8035 posts) -

@AlisterCat said:

That's the card he currently has. He is looking for a substitute.

In that price range I may recommend the GTX 560 Ti. You can find one that costs under $200.

Although you may want to wait, since there's bound to be a new patch of GPUs in the near future

#8 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

There are always something 'on the horizon' on the 'corner' of 'soon'. Sometimes you just have to dig into the current market to get the job done. Always waiting for the next big thing won't make games run smoothly on your computer 'today'.

#9 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

i refer to it as the messiah. as when women see it they say ''oh my lord'

#10 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@hwy_61 said:

Alright.

So, I'm in the market for a brand new GPU, and I'd love to get some feedback from you fine folks. I'm still rockin a 8800 GTX, and I'm feeling like I could retire the poor thing; it's served me well over the years. I'm playing a lot of BF3 on low settings, and I'd like to up the ante with a little more power. I'm looking to play games like Witcher 2, ect.

These are my Specs:

620W PSU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139002

i7-920

Case Dimensions: 19.61" x 8.43" x 19.53"

Resolution : 1680 x 1050

GPU: 8800 GTX - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130072

Not sure what else to include...OH, PRICE. I'm honestly only looking to spend anywhere from $150-180.

Thanks y'all!

EDIT!!!: I'd also like to add that while I prefer Nvidia, I am open to AMD recommendations. I just gravitate more toward Nvidia due to friends of mine having trouble to AMD drivers and what not.

A 560Ti is the minimum you're going to want to get, but I'd really recommend a 570 if you can stretch it.
#11 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1547 posts) -

GTX 680 just came out, the mid range cards will probably be out this summer.

I really wouldn't go anything less than a GTX560ti 448 core or GTX 570 now if you don't want to wait.

You could always sell the 570 and upgrade when they do come out, or just go all-in and drop $500 on a reference 680 pre-order.

#12 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

570 is a good card.

#13 Posted by Shookems (474 posts) -

@Winternet said:

@AlisterCat said:

In that price range I may recommend the GTX 560 Ti. You can find one that costs under $200.

Although you may want to wait, since there's bound to be a new patch of GPUs in the near future

Where would you find a 560 Ti under 200?

#14 Posted by zerostar (15 posts) -

@Funkydupe: Best MTLCA song ever.

: I had the 8800 before I upgraded last year as well, so I feel your pain ;) Honestly, most upgrades that you make at this point will improve your experience.

In my case, I decided to save up for a while and grab some AMDs to crossFire and now I'm rocking dual Sapphire Radeon HD 6970s. Took a while to come up with the $$, but man - soooo worth it.

In recent news, both companies are heading into nextGen battle territory:

GTX680 grabs graphics crown / ZDNet

nVidia 28nm Kepler Architecture

AMD 7970 review / PCmag

^^ not really helpful for your price point, but the good news is that with the new wave of tech, the previous Gens will start to liquidate.

Here's another thread about sub $200 card choices:

Best Graphics Card under $200 / TH

Consensus in there is that the nV 560Ti might be your huckleberry (although a bit higher than your price point as well).

Anyhoo, Good luck with your search!

#15 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1547 posts) -

@Shookems said:

@Winternet said:

@AlisterCat said:

Where would you find a 560 Ti under 200?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JLNZXU/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details

After rebate though.

#16 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

560 ti.

#17 Posted by Subjugation (4730 posts) -

I'll actually stay within the parameters of your question.

6870 for $160 560 for $180

If you decide to change your criteria then that obviously changes everything.

#18 Posted by Korwin (2979 posts) -

The 6870 listed above is a better choice than a non Ti 560 and sits comfortably within your original price range.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.