Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Need help sorting out my SSD and my Hard drive (first timer)

snipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Ok so i'm not sure how to put this into words but i'll try, I'm attempting to figure out how to get my SSD to do all of the loading and stuff while my hard drive has everything on it.

Sorry if this is a dumb question i'm getting my parts in the next couple days and would like to know what to do with my SSD and my hard drive.

As I said it's my first time building and i'm a bit worried so any help with this would be appreciated.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jimbo

Make sure you install Windows on the SSD. That's about it really. Once the PC is up and running, install apps you use a lot and stuff that will most benefit from the SSD on the SSD. Use the HDD for saving photos, installing games if you like to keep a lot installed at once, music etc.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By Sergio

You'll need to go into the BIOS to set the SSD as your boot drive. Depending on what settings you have in your BIOS and how you've connected the drives to the motherboard, you might need to make additional changes in the BIOS. Then do as Jimbo said.

Don't freak out if you see "No hard disk detected!" when you boot up. I have an SDD for Windows, an SDD for Steam, and an HDD for everything else, and I always get that boot up message.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

@snipe said:

Ok so i'm not sure how to put this into words but i'll try, I'm attempting to figure out how to get my SSD to do all of the loading and stuff while my hard drive has everything on it.

Sorry if this is a dumb question i'm getting my parts in the next couple days and would like to know what to do with my SSD and my hard drive.

As I said it's my first time building and i'm a bit worried so any help with this would be appreciated.

Sounds like you actually want to use the SSD for caching and not for installing, if you have a small SSD 32GB > then that might be more beneficial see: http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dz68db/sb/intel_smart_response_technology_user_guide.pdf for a manual. If you have a bigger one, say 64GB and up then go @jimbo's route.

6n00bkilla9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Make sure when you install windows you only do it with teh sdd there then after windows is installed you add the HD so that trim gets enabled in the SSD also make sure that teh SSD is in AHCI mode in the bios so that it can get more commands from teh OS and its faster. Also you can change all of your windows user folders (downloads, pics etc) to teh external also when you have steam or orgin make sure you have the games or most of the games depending on the size of the SSD to the HD. Also if there is software from the ssd maker like samsung make sure you install it as it will help you further opt yoru system for an SSD.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.