Need help with my GPU upgrade

#1 Edited by Joker369 (881 posts) -

Hey guys,

I currently have a Radeon 6950 and am looking to upgrade my video card so I am able to play game like Battlefield 3 and Sleeping Dogs at their max settings with a a stable frame rate. I am running a single monitor in 1920x1200 resolution. My budget is about $400 and the two main cards I'm looking at are the Radeon HD 7970 Ghz Edition and the Geforce GTX 770. The ATI card has an extra GB of GDDR5 but from the reviews it seems like the Nvidia card runs a little cooler and uses less power. Just curious what card you guys think is the best or if I'm missing something else in my price range.

Thanks.

Also, Here's my current build(about 2 years old)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650(3.1GHZ)

Motherboard: Intel DX48BT2

RAM: 8 GB of Kingston HyperX 1333 DDR3

Power Supply: PC Power and Cooling 610 Watt

GPU: Radeon HD 6950

Storage: Intel 120 GB SSD and Western Digital 640GB 7200RPM Hard Drive

#2 Posted by Dacnomaniac (444 posts) -

If you're only gonna play on a single monitor and not increase your resolution soon, then the extra VRAM doesn't make much difference. Personally, I bought a GTX 770 and am playing at 1680x1050 and it's awesome!

In case you don't believe me:

#3 Posted by Chumley_Marchbanks (158 posts) -

I recently upgraded from a 6950 to a GTX 770 (that specific model in fact) and I can highly recommend it. My current setup is:

CPUIntel Core i5 2500K
GPUGTX 770 2GB
RAM8GB DDR3
SSDSamsung 840 256GB
PSUOCZ 600W

At 1920x1080, games like Battlefield 3, Sleeping Dogs, The Witcher 2 (with Ubersampling turned off), Bioshock Infinite, and Max Payne 3 all run super smooth with most, if not all, of the graphics settings at maximum. Metro still struggles a little bit, but it's completely playable and looks great.

It runs reasonably cool given that it's an overclocked card, although the fans can get (what I would consider to be) unnecessarily aggressive. I would recommend using a program like MSI Afterburner to setup your own automatic fan speed settings if you find the noise to be too much.

You shouldn't run into any problems where 2GB of VRAM is too little as long as you're reasonable (you don't really need to be running anything with 16xSSAA), but with the new consoles just around the corner it's a bit of a gamble on whether it'll be a real issue in the near future. If you're looking to upgrade right now though, then you can't go wrong with a GTX 770.

#4 Edited by OldManLight (914 posts) -

I'd go with the GTX 770 for the power consumption reason alone plus nvidia driver support seems to be more solid than AMD. Currently I have 2 AMD 7770's crossfired and i'm able to run BF3 at max minus the MSAA at 1920x1080 and get 30 fps or better even when stuff gets crazy on 64 player servers. but, i'm only running these because it was what i was able to afford at the time i was looking to buy. if money were no object, i'd go Nvidia.

#6 Edited by Joker369 (881 posts) -

@guppy507: I had thought about that as well but when I check my CPU usage when playing BF3 on ultra it is only at about 70% while my GPU usage is at 100%. I'll eventually swap out the CPU but it's the best one my Motherboard will support and I'm not really ready to do a full rebuild.

#7 Edited by VACkillers (1075 posts) -

I would strongly suggest the GTX 770.... plain and simple, its better... with tons more driver stability and support over AMD... The price/performance ratio is very good, better then a GTX 680 at 20-40$ cheaper.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.