Need recommendations on table mics

#1 Posted by warxsnake (2720 posts) -

Yo 

Wanted to ask if anybody has good experiences with table/desktop microphones. 

I'm transitioning away from wearing a headset (my setup is/was an Astro A40 hooked up to an HT Omega Claro sound card (DDH/DD)).  
I bought the Sennheiser IE80 IEMs for use on the go and for pc/console gaming, i.e. it replaces everything. Still hooked up to the same card.  
This means I don't have a headset mic anymore. 
I bought a Logitech Desktop microphone and received it today, for a so called noise cancelling microphone, it picks up waaaay too much sound. It picks up my keystrokes, clicks, the TV which is 30m away, my brother shitting in the bathroom, and so on.  
Every other table mic seems to be designed the same way, as omni-directional mics, they pick up way more than I need as they are all built mainly for podcasting and conferencing.  

Any suggestions on table mics that kinda act like a headset mic? I.e. only pick up whatevers facing it? I compared the Logitech and the A40s microphone in Mumble and looked at what they were picking up, the difference was pretty huge. A40 mic is mute until I actually say something while the Logitech has constant pickup. Played with the volumes and whatnot as much as I could.   

This typically isn't a huge issue, but I can't stand Push to Talk and want to stick with voice activation.  

#2 Posted by Doctorchimp (4175 posts) -

Have you heard of antlion?

Or maybe just go with a clip-on mic?

I just spent tonight playing team fortress 2 on my PC and talking into a laptop on skype so maybe I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about.

#3 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8504 posts) -

Pretty much anything from Blue Microphones. I have friends who sing, mix and work on radio who swear by them. They have something for every kind of job.

#4 Edited by warxsnake (2720 posts) -

Nice thanks 

I would have gone for the Antlion however they are rebuilding their site and currently making a new version of it to be sold in two months, also I would have no where to attach that microphone as I use in ear monitors. The test videos on youtube for it sound really good. 

Went with the Blue Yeti, its a bit big and overkill but at least it has microphone options like setting it to Cardioid, i.e. recording only what is directly in front of the mic, which is what I'm looking for :) 

#5 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5904 posts) -

@warxsnake said:

Nice thanks I would have gone for the Antlion however they are rebuilding their site and currently making a new version of it to be sold in two months, also I would have no where to attach that microphone as I use in ear monitors. The test videos on youtube for it sound really good. Went with the Blue Yeti, its a bit big and overkill but at least it has microphone options like setting it to Cardioid, i.e. recording only what is directly in front of the mic, which is what I'm looking for :)

Blue was the right decision. Was actually looking into them earlier today because I'd like to get a new mic to hopefully start up a podcast with my buddies.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.