Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Need some input on PC parts

rmoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By rmoe

Hey everyone, i wanted to see what you guys though about some parts im looking at for my PC.  First some info: i made my computer sometime early last year or late the year before that i cant remember, the motherboard is an abit ib9 with an intel e6320 core2duo and 8600gt video card.  I used a cheap case from fry's that came with an even cheaper power supply.  I hate both of them... they are very loud.  Also, the case is a full size case, and i would like to get a much smaller case now.

So i saw this case today on newegg and i like it :  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119195   Does anyone have any experience with it?  I use only one hdd and one dvd burner, so its lack of expansions does not concern me too much.  I like the fact that it is very small, can use 120mm fans (quiet), is not expencive, and doesnt look like it came from "pimp my pc."  Also, if anyone thinks they have a better case in mind, please put up a link!

Second, i would like to replace my power supply because this one is very loud with its cheap 2 - 80mm fans.  Obviously i need one that would work well in the above computer case, which has a strange power supply location (bottom front of case, a power cord brings the input power from regular position in the back of the case to the power supply i think).  I have not kept up with computer hardware so i really dont know which ones are good quality.  I would like it to be quiet and put out at least the minimum requirement for my 8600gt video card, which i googled and is around 350watts, 22amps.  Also, one that is price effective, in other words cheap without being "cheap."  

Thanks for the help.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Geno

You really shouldn't cheap out on the PC case, it will be the most durable part of your system, possibly even outlasting your monitor. It's also important for keeping your other components cool and clean (you wouldn't put really good furniture in a really shabby house would you?). The standby for PC enthusiasts is either the antec 900, or, preferably, the antec 1200.

For a power supply you should be looking at a 750W+, 500W is pretty much the bare minimum. You'll definitely want to get at least a 750W+ if you're planning on running games in SLI or Crossfire. Although if you're planning to stick with your CPU and GPU (which, no offense, are a bit dated), you'll probably only "need" a 500W. Beware that doing so will hardly be future proof.

Anyway, my final recommendation would be:

If you're sticking with old hardware:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.183189 (beware, this is not future proof)

And if you're planning on upgrading the whole kit:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.184837

rmoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By rmoe
    Thanks for the reply Geno!

Ya, i realize my computer is a bit old, but i dont game on my pc that much and when i do the games have reasonable requirements and run quite well, so i believe i still have some life in my setup (mount and blade, total war series, someday starcraft 2, and so on).  Also, my current setup is not the best in terms of upgrade potential anyways, so when i think its time to upgrade i would do a complete overhaul.

For the case: i am not too interested in the antec 1200 only because it is a full size tower, and i would like to get something a little smaller than what i currently have.  As for the antec 900, it looks good, is a bit smaller than what i have, but im not feeling the led fans.  My pc is in my room and im one of those guys who cant sleep with a lot of lights on.  Do you know of any other cases that are similar to what im looking for, but not with any led fans?  Also, why do you consider the case i linked to be cheap quality?  I have heard of cooler master before, so i though it was a name brand.  

Thanks again for the input.
    StressedOutCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By StressedOutCat
    rmoe said:
    "
    For the case: i am not too interested in the antec 1200 only because it is a full size tower, and i would like to get something a little smaller than what i currently have.  As for the antec 900, it looks good, is a bit smaller than what i have, but im not feeling the led fans.  My pc is in my room and im one of those guys who cant sleep with a lot of lights on.  Do you know of any other cases that are similar to what im looking for, but not with any led fans?  Also, why do you consider the case i linked to be cheap quality?  I have heard of cooler master before, so i though it was a name brand.  
    "
    What about the Antec 300 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042
    Or this Antec Solo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129018

Out of the two I would suggest the Antec Solo.
    It costs a bit more but it has dual-layer panels to help reduce the noise.

darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By darkgoth678

I agree with Geno, you might want to hit something like a 750W power supply only because if you are going to upgrade in the future, you wont have to hurry out to get a better power supply. Even if you want to in the future want to do a light graphics upgrade then you would be ok. 

I personally would recommend this Corsair TX750W

As far as a case, I think your going for something small that does not make a lot of noise. I completely agree with the recomendations above, but just so you get a recomend that's not Antec:

The one I think would fit your situation the best woudl be the Beta, Its small and very suttle where it woudl let you go to sleep, and it is also the cheapest coming in a $50; However if you want to spend a little extra cash on getting something really quite, the the whisper or the hush, their both good, just depends on how much you want to spend. 

if you want an indepth review on the Whisper, check out Extremetech's look at it.

Are you on a budget?
    oDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By oDawg
    @rmoe: just get an Antec Sonata III case... ... has a real clean look and helps with the sound much better than the "grill" type case you linked (which is really meant to exhaust massive heat in overclocked setups...). and it comes with a decent power supply (80 plus certified, so its energy efficient which is a plus).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.