Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

New computer - Suggestions/Comments, please

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By FireBurger

Hey, everyone. My dad asked me to throw together a gaming computer for my brother's graduation gift, so I did. I was wondering if everyone who knows what they're doing could look it over and leave any comments or suggestions. I know that it's powerful, I'm just wondering if there's anything in the build that I should switch out or what have you.

I'm buying from AVADirect.com, but all of the links are for the parts on Newegg. I know it's cheaper to build, but my dad wants it pre-built (warranty, etc.) so please no trolling about that.

Case: Antec 900

PSU: Corsair 850W (Is this overkill for even SLI 285s, or no?)

Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe V2

CPU: Core i7-920 2.66 GHz

HSF: Vigor Monsoon 3 LT

RAM: 6GB (3 x 2GB) OCZ Platinum XTC DDR3 1600 CL7  (For gaming - mostly RTSs - would this 6GBs be better, or should I go with the faster 3GB OCZ Reaper DDR3 1866 CL9 for about the same price?)

GPU:EVGA GTX 295

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 7200RPM

Sound Card: HT Omega Striker 7.1

OS: Vista 64-bit (I would go with 32-bit if I went with the Reaper RAM)

Monitor: LG 22" 2ms 10000:1

Speakers: Logitech X-540 5.1

KB/M: Saitek Eclipse / Logitech MX310 (He plays mostly RTSs, so he doesn't need a super precise G5 or anything)

Also, should I go with the i7-920 and the GTX 295, or with an i7-950 and a GTX 285? I won't be OCing, so take that out of the equation.

Thanks for any input!

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

You could build a computer with 98% of that power for hundreds less...  bit of a waste of money.

If you're getting such a high end system, why totally cheap out on the speaker system?

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By FireBurger

He can upgrade to better speakers on his own money. Trying to keep it half-way reasonable.

And any suggestions on getting 98% of that power for hundreds less?

Maru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Maru

I would get a better case to match that beautiful hardware.  Also go for 24 inch and up monitors to make use of that video card (GTX 285) in full HD.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Diamond

Well maybe a GTX275 instead of 285 or 295

A ~$300 quad core will give you 98% of the performance

There's $300 right there

Think about the motherboard, they usually just cost more for extra features you may not need.

darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By darkgoth678

Ok, first of all, YES go with the faster OCZ reaper RAM and, if your going to go all out with a system like this, I would say go the extra mile and RAID two 250GB hard drive configuration to get your desired 500GB of space and better load times.

and Keep the 920, only beacuse you would get the GTX295 and the performance between the 920 and 950 is minimal.
    subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By subject2change

Go with 6gigs of RAM at the very least with an i7. I run 4 gig on a Core2Duo now and I just bought 4 more gigs which should be arriving today.
    I'd go with the 24" LG or 25.5" LG personally, but LG as a company make GREAT displays.
    I wouldn't bother raiding 2 250s together personally and thats because I generally max out all my sata ports with hard drives, i'd go with a WD Black 640GB or 300GB Velociraptor for OS/App Drive with a storage drive on top of that.

Overall looks good, i'd go Antec 1200 case if you were planning on running SLI. And you can never have too much power in a PSU; I always go one step beyond on that part and corsair have great PSUs.

Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
    kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By kitsune_conundrum

To be honest, i dont really upgrade the old rig for gaming purposes anymore. The last upgrade i did was to run hd video and most photoshop processing stuff.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.