Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

New hard drive time!

gpbmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By gpbmike

I'm about to purchase a new hard drive for my PC but thought I'd run it by some smarter people first. 

This is what I'm looking at getting:   Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB/10000RPM 

Note: I don't use my PC for anything except for playing games. Not browsing the web, not storing media, not watching movies. Nothing.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By eroticfishcake

That looks alright although I thought you could get a bigger hard drive for the same price. Then again the one I got was a 1 Terabyte external hard drive so I wouldn't really know. But in your case that looks fine. In my experience I've had no problems with Western Digital.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Hamz

Seems like a decent choice if it is just going to be a place to install games onto. I'm from the UK so I'm not totally sure on prices over in the states but that seems pretty well priced for the product as well. Good stuff.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Diamond

With a 10K RPM HDD you're paying a large premium for a smallish speed increase.  There will also be an increase in heat from the HDD, and I'm not sure how reliable 10K RPM HDDs are today, but in the past they were considerably less reliable.

Basically you could get a larger HDD for less than half as much money.  Also remember that theoretical increases in performance (such as seek times and bandwidth) don't equate to the same percentage of performance increase in real world load times and such.

gpbmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By gpbmike

Thanks guys. I don't need a larger hard drive. The one I'm using now is 120GB and I have about half that to spare. It's also connected with an IDE cable. It's pretty much the only thing I didn't upgrade a couple years ago. So now I'm just looking for an increase read/write speed. 

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @gpbmike: In that case I think you're good to go with that hard drive. You may be able to find the same hard drive for a little cheaper but that's a good deal anyway.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @gpbmike:  10000RPM drives can be as slow as 7200RPM drives when connected to a SATA 2 controller that doesn't support a full SATA 2 implementation.  This is because those low seek times are reliant on SATA 2 features such as NCQ.  The 10000RPM speed is a peak measurement and if the controller is too busy (ie when not using NCQ small and large file access is random, whereas with Native Command Queing smaller file accesses are prioritised before large ones) the drive will not be able to spin up to full speed.

So therefore it's important to make sue your motherboard supports full SATA 2 features.  Some motherboards only do so via RAID0 and some others only do so via the RAID SATA ports.  If not you may need to purchase a PCi-e SATA 2 RAID controller.  PCi-e has enough bandwidth to support the low seek times and dynamic prioritisation features like NCQ.
    gpbmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gpbmike
    @SeriouslyNow:  This is the motherboard I have:   ASUS P5B Deluxe LGA 775 (good ol' newegg order history)

It looks like a couple of people used it with 10k Western Digital drives, but they didn't mention anything one way or the other about performance. What do you think? Up to snuff? I hope so because I ordered the hard drive this afternoon. :D
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@gpbmike:   Some googling seems to indicate that the board does have NCQ support, so hopefully your 10000RPM drive will be able to reach those speeds.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By subject2change

I run a 150 original raptor and its great, I also have tons of storage drives. If you just game on that system, go for it. The WD Black 640GB is another good choice if you wanna save some cash.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jams

That's the drive I'm thinking about getting. I am stuck between that one, a SDD or a regular 7200rpm terrabyte sized HDD. I'll need at least 200GB for my steam folder so I think SDD is out of the question for a couple of years. So I was thinking about SDD for windows and a 10,000 for games. or maybe 2 7200RPM's in raid0. So many options.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.