Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

New high-end(ish) Rig - Need advice

max3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By max3000

So I'm going with this setup:
    AMD 965BE C3
    Gigabyte 790XTA UD4 mobo
    ATI 5870
    2x2gigs of 1333 RAM
    Zalman 600W PSU

Now, is there any reason why should I go with a core i7 920 (LGA1336) with triple channel ram setup?

Also, should I go with a CoolerMaster CM 690 or a Thermaltake Eureka (can get both of them for the same price)

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Geno

For gaming you will get the same or similar performance with the 965. The i7 is only pertinent to gaming in 3 card setups and above, due to having faster bus speeds and no PCIe limitations. As for the power supply, I think Thermaltake is probably a better brand than Coolermaster (Cooler Master specializes in cases and really only dabbles in power supplies). 

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By korwin

Corsair generally make the best PSU's around, theres a very nice 750watt modular unit they produce.  I'd personally go for a happy meduim and pick up a LGA 1156 Core i7 or i5 over the Phenom.  Phenom's are ok if you on a budget but theyre still not up to scratch with intel's latest offerings and with LGA1156 you still going dual channel instead of triple so you'll save money on your dimms.  Cant go better than a 5870 at the moment so thats a solid choice, however Nvidia are due to launch the new GTX400 series in the next week or 2 so i would suggest holding off on that purchase just a little longer.

max3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By max3000
    Sorry, I should have made it clear that those are cases and not PSUs heh...

I've been thinking about the 965 because the benchmarks show that it performs better than the 920 and its half the price. Is triple channel RAM a big advantage btw?
    monkeyroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By monkeyroach

920 will kill any amd cpu any day of the week.Is it 920 worth it ,not really.Whats your budget ?

max3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By max3000
    @monkeyroach: 
     http://www.guru3d.com/article/phenom-ii-x4-965-be-revision-c3-review-test/16
    Look at the Crysis bench. It overperforms the 940 by just a little bit. Which is quite impressive considering the 965 costs half as much as the 940.
    Sn1PeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sn1PeR

Microcenter (if you have one locally) has $200 i7 920's -- if you know what you're doing you can hit 4ghz on them with the right stepping (d0) and good air cooling.  I also have to highly recommend a corsair power supply.  I have the 750watt and it's awesome. 

As for the benchmark, you're comparing a 965 (stock@3.4ghz)  oc'd to 4ghz vs. a stock 940...   If you look at the cpu benchmarks even the i5 750 @ 2.66ghz beat it.  Now a 920 or 930 will whoop up on a 965 with an easy oc.  You really need to look at more cpu bound benchmarks. 

http://hardocp.com/article/2009/01/07/amd_phenom_ii_x4_model_940_black_edition_processor/4  

That shows the 940 (I know it's slightly slower, but you get the picture). 

mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#8  Edited By mrhankey
    @max3000 said:
    " So I'm going with this setup: AMD 965BE C3Gigabyte 790XTA UD4 mobo ATI 5870 2x2gigs of 1333 RAM Zalman 600W PSU  Now, is there any reason why should I go with a core i7 920 (LGA1336) with triple channel ram setup?  Also, should I go with a CoolerMaster CM 690 or a Thermaltake Eureka (can get both of them for the same price)  Any input would be greatly appreciated! "
    No, build that system. I built an AMD system with the same graphics card and it screams!
    max3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By max3000
    @Sn1PeR said:
    " Microcenter (if you have one locally) has $200 i7 920's -- if you know what you're doing you can hit 4ghz on them with the right stepping (d0) and good air cooling.  I also have to highly recommend a corsair power supply.  I have the 750watt and it's awesome. 

As for the benchmark, you're comparing a 965 (stock@3.4ghz)  oc'd to 4ghz vs. a stock 940...   If you look at the cpu benchmarks even the i5 750 @ 2.66ghz beat it.  Now a 920 or 930 will whoop up on a 965 with an easy oc.  You really need to look at more cpu bound benchmarks. 

http://hardocp.com/article/2009/01/07/amd_phenom_ii_x4_model_940_black_edition_processor/4   That shows the 940 (I know it's slightly slower, but you get the picture).  "
    Okay, so I've done some research and the 965 seems kind of weak when it comes to threaded applications. The 920 outruns it in this case. So I think I'll spend more money on the 920-setup with 3x2gigs of RAM. It will be better in the long run when games start to use multi threaded engines.
    coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By coaxmetal

I use a 920 (have it OC'd to 4.0 GHz on water). If you want more bang for your buck now though, you may want to go for the i5 instead of the i7 (you won't get triple-channel, but it will be more powerful, at least for the price, if I recall correctly -- haven't checked prices/specs recently). The i5 doesn't use LGA1366, the socked the i7 uses, and that the i9 (the coming 32nm cpu) will use, so the i7 has better upgrade potential.  (since you won't need to buy a new mobo should you decide to get an i9). 

I don't really know much about the AMD one though. 

EDIT: apparently its not called the i9, they are calling it an i7 980X. Its still the 32nm gulftown architecture. 
     Also, I don't think that it will make a noticeable difference gaming (compared to another i7 anyhow). So its probably not worth worrying about, not that you were.

Gekigangar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Gekigangar
    I agree with Riboflavin.   If your not gonna go i7, i5 will save you about $200 when you combine the motherboard and processor savings.  

I gotta say I'm getting my moneys worth out of my i7 920 though.  I've run it at 4.2Ghz on air 24/7 for over 6 months.  Its worth it in my opinion.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.