New Nvidia Driver Update Kills Cards

#1 Edited by FluxCapacitor (40 posts) -

Yesterday Nvidia released the new 196.75 drivers, which gained quite a bit of attention due to the substantial increases it offered for graphics card (I believe it was 10-30% for all games tested, the page has since been removed). However, today it turns out that this update has the potential to kill graphics cards

...the fans control in this NVIDIA driver is not working properly. This means every single 3D application (i.e. games) running these drivers is going to be exposed to overheating and in some extreme cases it will cause video card, motherboard and/or processor damage. If said motherboard, processor or graphic card is not under warranty, some gamers are in serious trouble playing intensive games such as Prototype, World of Warcraft, Farcry 3, Crysis and many other games with realistic graphics.   

Nvidia had this to say:

We are aware that some customers have reported fan speed issues with the latest 196.75 WHQL drivers on NVIDIA.com. Until we can verify and root cause this issue, we recommend that customers stay with, or return to 196.21 WHQL drivers. Release 196.75 drivers have been temporarily removed from our Web site in the meantime.

Source

Some users have claimed to have found a fix, but so far this is unconfirmed.

I consider myself extremely lucky. I thought it was bizarre when Dragon Age suddenly started demanding 98% CPU and the temperature of my computer skyrocketed. Others have reported that after this happened, there was a burning smell and their computer crashed. Mine seems to be working fine, hopefully no long term damage was done.

#2 Posted by Jadeskye (4368 posts) -

Good catch mate, i'm telling my friends now.

#3 Posted by FartyMcNarly (566 posts) -

YES! KILL THE PC!!!

#4 Posted by nickhimself (71 posts) -

I'm sticking with my drivers. We'll see how that works out for me. 

But hey, at least we don't have ATI cards. Hahahahahaha

#5 Posted by Darkstar614 (1098 posts) -

Wow. Just installed those too, time to go back to the old ones. Glad I saw this before playing something.

#6 Posted by Skytylz (4039 posts) -

I'm glad i have my ati cards right now.

#7 Posted by Eyepatch (40 posts) -

Thanks for letting us know!

#8 Posted by Korwin (3045 posts) -

No fan speed issues here so i'll keep em, helps battlefield run better :P 

#9 Posted by Jadeskye (4368 posts) -
@nickhimself said:
" I'm sticking with my drivers. We'll see how that works out for me.  But hey, at least we don't have ATI cards. Hahahahahaha "
you need some GPU education mate :p ATI have the best price to performance cards out there and also the most powerful.
#10 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4988 posts) -
@FluxCapacitor said:

"some gamers are in serious trouble playing intensive games such as Prototype, World of Warcraft, Farcry 3, Crysis and many other games with realistic graphics."
"World of Warcraft...realistic graphics" 

#11 Posted by JJOR64 (19071 posts) -

Thanks for the news.  I was reading about this somewhere else they the new update makes Starcraft 2 unplayable.

#12 Posted by Hamst3r (4569 posts) -
@FartyMcNarly said:
" YES! KILL THE PC!!! "
NO U. DIAF.
#13 Posted by v0rt3xRo (18 posts) -

omg, i just got my BF BC2 yesterday and was happy to see that nvidia released these new drivers and it helped a LOT in performance for my GTX295, i played all night but didn t get any problems, but this rly makes me worried now :-s

#14 Posted by JJWeatherman (14573 posts) -
@v0rt3xRo said:
" omg, i just got my BF BC2 yesterday and was happy to see that nvidia released these new drivers and it helped a LOT in performance for my GTX295, i played all night but didn t get any problems, but this rly makes me worried now :-s "
You have a 295 and are still not easily maxing BC2? God damn, what resolution are you running?
#15 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Fuck, I'm rolling back now, I loaded it yesterday.

#16 Posted by Driadon (3030 posts) -

This is why I've sat on 186.18 drivers for a good long while, I've heard of nothing but clusterfucks from the 190.00 series.

#17 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Just use realtemp, run a game and see if you're affected. The drivers are fine for me.

#18 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@jadeskye said:
" @nickhimself said:
" I'm sticking with my drivers. We'll see how that works out for me.  But hey, at least we don't have ATI cards. Hahahahahaha "
you need some GPU education mate :p ATI have the best price to performance cards out there and also the most powerful. "
The also have the worst drivers in history.
#19 Edited by first2die (135 posts) -
@nickhimself said:

At least we don't have ATI cards? ATI Vs Nvidia it really makes no difference. You should buy whatever gives you the best bang for buck and gives you the features that you require. 
I have owned both ATI and Nvidia cards, its not the brand but how well it works that counts.
#20 Posted by first2die (135 posts) -
@OllyOxenFree: Realistic Graphics, perhaps not but with all the settings on WoW maxed out in a 25 man raid, frame rates do drop and most people's hardware is pushed. 
Still its pretty funny, wow realistic graphics haha.
#21 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

Good thing I didn't update my drivers lately, if i'm happy with a specific driver, I usually keep it for a while. That would fry a card for sure if the fan doesn't spin because of the driver, good thing I have a three fan and heatsink on my videocard, it won't ever fry.

#22 Edited by Geno (6477 posts) -

Sadly Nvidia has dropped the ball on this one. I've updated my other thread (the one promoting them upon release). Sorry if I caused any harm guys, wasn't intentional at all, the bug wasn't known by anyone at the time of posting. 

#23 Posted by salad10203 (654 posts) -

I havent had any problems yet.  But from now on I will keep speedfan open to make sure.  Also,  I manually set my fan speed and I can hear when it speeds up or slows down.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.